Thread: headers

red
    2000 camaro

headers

Hello
    What are the best full length headers for a 00 ls1 camaro.I want to install a complete system: headers,cats,y pipe and a cat-back.What is the difficulty installing the headers?Are there any webpages on installing headers?
    Thanks

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

the best are kooks or hookers. pacesetters are decent and well priced. headers arent that hard to install.

Red
    2000 SS

I am going to be purchasing XS headers from a sponsor on LS1tech. They are stainless steel and are pretty similar to the pacesetters. People have given them great reviews. Search for them over there.

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Headers

I believe firmly in three sets of headers kooks, slp, and hooker. I work at bandimere sppedway in colorado and people contaially praise those headers. and i have seen living proof what good headers can do like drop 4tenths of your qrt time and pace setters which drop 2 tenths but either way tune after headers or your run rich. and not get your total bang for your buck.
    Matt

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

SLP's suck as far as ground clearance.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Formula

They all suck as far as ground clearance. Especially when your lowered.
    98 Formula M6, Hurst Billet Shifter, Zr-1 Wheels, Eibach Pro-Kit,
    BMR Lower Trailing Arms, Adjustible Panhard Bar

Custom Tune with Speed Density, 918's, Manly Pushrods
    400 Cam (.226/.226 .591/.591),Ported oil Pump
    Pacesetter LT's/ORY, Magnaflow Catback.

Black
    2000 TA

I had good luck with my XS headers once I made a small pie cut and re welded the collector so that they wouldnt hit the floor board. But for $550 shipped for stainless headers and y pipe I think that they are worth it.

Sebring Silver
    2000 z-28 M6

i just installed my kooks headers last thursday, install went great fit like a glove. i also went with the kooks ory and as far as the y pipe goes i gained a lil clearence.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by thecorrectformula View Post
    They all suck as far as ground clearance. Especially when your lowered.
    not all really. but once again anything sucks for clearance when your lowered. stay away from slp lt tho if clearance is ever a issue

Midnight Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by carnutt View Post
    Hello
    What are the best full length headers for a 00 ls1 camaro.I want to install a complete system: headers,cats,y pipe and a cat-back.What is the difficulty installing the headers?Are there any webpages on installing headers?
    Thanks
    I chose Jet Hot LT's, love em!!

2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever View Post
    I believe firmly in three sets of headers kooks, slp, and hooker. I work at bandimere sppedway in colorado and people contaially praise those headers. and i have seen living proof what good headers can do like drop 4tenths of your qrt time and pace setters which drop 2 tenths but either way tune after headers or your run rich. and not get your total bang for your buck.
    Matt
    Thats BS that you think Hooker headers will drop 2 more 1/10's in the 1/4 over pacesetters. Actually I've never seen anyone drop 4 1/10's on LT's. Pacesetter are quality headers that arent as expensive. First of all, SLP headers are the worst you can buy. The hang very low, and make the least amount of power of all the headers for our cars. Where do you get your information from? Do some more research before you talk bad about Pacesetter and good about SLP. LOL!

2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I chose Jet Hot LT's, love em!!

Jet hot uses Hooker's headers and sells them as there's incase anyone didn't know that. Pacestter is the real way to go IMO. $500 for coated headers w/ ORY is a great deal. I also think that the XS headers are very well priced for stainless steel headers. Check out LS1tech most have nothing but good things to say about Pacesetter's and nothing but negative things to say about SLP's and a few others. IMO its Kook's, or good old Pacesetter's.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

i like my XS stainless steel LT's that i got off Ebay a yr ago for $340 shipped. they have treated me great so far, and have had no issues w/them...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by WEZONIT View Post
    Thats BS that you think Hooker headers will drop 2 more 1/10's in the 1/4 over pacesetters. Actually I've never seen anyone drop 4 1/10's on LT's. Pacesetter are quality headers that arent as expensive. First of all, SLP headers are the worst you can buy. The hang very low, and make the least amount of power of all the headers for our cars. Where do you get your information from? Do some more research before you talk bad about Pacesetter and good about SLP. LOL!
    Well I dont know where youget off bashng me? I work at Bandimere Speedway the biggest drag way in Colorado and watch cars race all day. I believe what I see. Not trying to argue just stating what I see every day. Ive seen it so believe it, with a good tune. Ken Dueittler of Hot Rod Magizine October 2007 issue states you should get an easy 45 hp gain from Lt's with a tune and lists the Lt's he used in his dyno testing with 45 hp I would hope you could drop atleast 4tenths. he gets paid butt loads to write and own his shop in Ventura Cal. I think he would know. you should chill im not trying to attack anyone.
    Last edited by 99Ls1fever; 08-28-2007 at 01:28 PM.

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

just so we are clear, there is a big difference between 45hp (claimed in the article you are citing), and 45rwhp...

can you produce this article with a web link or scan in the article itself and post it for us...?

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    just so we are clear, there is a big difference between 45hp (claimed in the article you are citing), and 45rwhp...

can you produce this article with a web link or scan in the article itself and post it for us...?
    First off thats tight you like the Wildcats my dad played football there and I went to school at Hutchinson for a year. It is the Hot Rod Magizine October 2007 Issue page 124 bottom side in red quotes "if you take the stock motor, put a set of headers on it,and give it a tune up,you can go up and easy 45hp" Ken Duttweiler.

I can't find the article on hot rod.com if you can the articles name is "hopping gm's ls series."

It goes over and compares diffrent throttle bodies, intake manifolds, pulleys, oil pans, rocker arms and gives a whole dyno chart that shows each mod and the horsepower and torque gain after mod it is a great article and you should look into purchasing it. the cover title is barn finds with a orange cuda on it with a cherry red roadster.

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

First off thats tight you like the Wildcats my dad played football there and I went to school at Hutchinson for a year. It is the Hot Rod Magizine October 2007 Issue page 124 bottom side in red quotes "if you take the stock motor, put a set of headers on it,and give it a tune up,you can go up and easy 45hp" Ken Duttweiler.

I can't find the article on hot rod.com if you can the articles name is "hopping gm's ls series."

It goes over and compares diffrent throttle bodies, intake manifolds, pulleys, oil pans, rocker arms and gives a whole dyno chart that shows each mod and the horsepower and torque gain after mod it is a great article and you should look into purchasing it. the cover title is barn finds with a orange cuda on it with a cherry red roadster.
    i went to KSU from 98-03 and got my Bachelor's of Architecture...grew up in KC...

ill see if i can find the article...

2000 SS

Well I dont know where youget off bashng me? I work at Bandimere Speedway the biggest drag way in Colorado and watch cars race all day. I believe what I see. Not trying to argue just stating what I see every day. Ive seen it so believe it, with a good tune. Ken Dueittler of Hot Rod Magizine October 2007 issue states you should get an easy 45 hp gain from Lt's with a tune and lists the Lt's he used in his dyno testing with 45 hp I would hope you could drop atleast 4tenths. he gets paid butt loads to write and own his shop in Ventura Cal. I think he would know. you should chill im not trying to attack anyone.
    First off I'm not here to bash you. Though I do try to give people correct info. I just believe what you said is complete BS. I don't care were you work either. Most magazines are what you call "paid off" and tend to exaggerate on certain things. You say it states the LT's he used. Just because he didn't use other brands doesn't mean that they don't make the same amount of power. Did he specifically say that only these headers make that power? He says "if you take the stock motor, put a set of headers on it, and give it a tune up you can go up an easy 45hp" That pretty much means any long tube will do the same as far as I see it. Do you believe everything you read out of magazine's anyway's. I sure don't. So your implying that Pacesetters will produce only half as much as the Kook's etc considering you say Pacesetters only gain .2 seconds in the 1/4 and the others gain .4. LOL that makes me laugh. First you say those headers alone will drop you 4 tenths. Now its with headers and a tune. A tune is usually worth 10-20 RWHP. Now I agree both those combined might gain you 4 tenths in the 1/4 along with 40 HP. But I can absolutely guarantee that Pacesetters and a tune will give you more than half that. I would put money on it that Pacesetters will produce the same amount if not more than the SLP & hooker LT's. I do agree that Kook's are the best header on the market, but from my research they will produce within the same 2-5 RWHP as the Pacesetters. That should only be worth half a tenth if that. I don't really care that you work at a drag strip, I want to see some dyno proof that pacesetters only make half the power as the ones you stated above.

SOM
    1998 Trans Am

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

no, those headers are not ceramic coated...the paint will burn/melt off and start to rust shortly there after. save up for a good set of creamic coated or stainless steel LT's. you will be happy that you did...

Thread Information