Thread: headers

red
    01 camaro ss

headers

ok first post trying to help my buddy out...he has a 01 camaro ss...he wants to put headers on it which headers should he go for that wont ruin the pocket but will give the best power.....also he told me that to install the headers he has unbolt and jack up the motor.. im almost postive he is b/s me but just want to make sure any input would be greatly appricated...also if anyone has a writeup on this that would be wonderfull

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

pacesetters are the BEST budget header hands down based on what nearly everyone says on here
    Last edited by tonyjnjz; 02-19-2007 at 02:44 PM.

red
    01 camaro ss

thanks alot i thought thats the brand i was gonna tell him to go with wasnt too postive...if he gets the pacesetters should we do anything with them like add a coat of high temp paint or wrap them in header wrap...

also does anyone know if he is telling me wrong info cauz he said he was gonna have someone install the headers for him since he needs to jack up the motor...i know its not gonna be much room but im pretty postive we can do it w/o jacking up the motor...i only took a quick look under the hood

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by bobbert350 View Post
    thanks alot i thought thats the brand i was gonna tell him to go with wasnt too postive...if he gets the pacesetters should we do anything with them like add a coat of high temp paint or wrap them in header wrap...

also does anyone know if he is telling me wrong info cauz he said he was gonna have someone install the headers for him since he needs to jack up the motor...i know its not gonna be much room but im pretty postive we can do it w/o jacking up the motor...i only took a quick look under the hood
    It is not reccommended that you wrap the headers with header wrap. Many header companies will not honor the warranty on the headers of they are wrapped.

No doubt that you should paint them though. If you don't they will be rusty within weeks, no exaggeration. I'm not sure if they come prepainted, but either way you should lightly sand them down and repaint them with high temp paint. I reccommend VHT brand paint ("Very-High-Temperature"), its good for around 2000 degrees, you should be able to pick some up at your local Autozone.
    Last edited by Wesman; 02-20-2007 at 09:32 AM.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Just tell him to get the ceramic coated headers. Those should last awhile.
    And not all LS1's have to be jacked (engine, not car) up to install the headers properly. Some do and some don't. Some have clearance issues with the steering knuckle while some don't. All cars are different.

Thread Information