Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headers

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

Headers

Can anyone tell me which headers are the best for a 2000 Trans Am, Ws6, LS1? I would like a pair that bolts directy on without any modifications. Will Headers make any gains?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

It all depends on what you want to spend. They are all good except for the SLP LT's. If you get the Y pipe header combo you won't need to do any mods, but will need O2 simms then they should bolt right up. While your at it you should do a Cat back also otherwise your not going to get the max benifit of the headers and a lid will make it that much better to balance it. The headers, lid, catback will give you a good power gain and could be as much as 50HP if you get the decent stuff. Remember when going after market stuff there is no gaurentee everything will just bolt right in. When your doing this it's hot rodding and getting creative to make things fit is part of the game, even if it's supposed to "bolt up easy". Good luck and everyone is here to give you some help!

Red
    2002 WS-6 TA

I just put on a set of pacesetters with an ory. The only thing that I don't like about these is that the y-pipe hits the floor when you goose it. However, I think that all headers/y-pipes do this. There are a ot of postings on these topics (headers and the bump on floor board.) but you can't beat the 500.00 for the headers and pipe.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

You will notice a diff with lt's. More with a tune. I like the pacesetter's and ory, thats what i used and had no probs. Also it will make the car a lil louder depending on what catback you are running. There are a few things you will need with your lt's if you go with pacesetter. New exhaust gaskets, I would reccomend getting band clamps instead of the kit clamps. Like said above 02 sims for the rear 02 harness. Some 02 extensions for the front 02's. I used the 24". Direct bolt on and pretty much straight forward. As far as the bumping i would reccomend using the mufflex bumpstop. I'v tried alot but the bumpstop worked for me.
    J

SFL Drifters

Pewter
    2002 TransAm WS6

if u want low end power get 2.5" headers. if u want top end get 3" headers. stainless costs more but will last longer.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

If your going to out in the snow get the Stainless. A buddy of mine did Jet Hot Flow Techs and after one winter most of the coating was pealing off.

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

Headers

Thanks for everyone who responded. I was looking at the Pacesetter mid-tube headers(coated). Has anyone installed a set of these? What is ORY? I wasn't gonna go with the long tubes because I hear of people have ground clearance problems and my TA has been lowered.

blue
    2002 WS6

I never had any problems with SLP LT's

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

What is an ORY?

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Kooks LT's are supposed to be the best with lowered cars. That's what I'm going to give a try when I get headers. You can run a straight crossbrace with them for a torque arm also. Anything else then you need the dropped brace and will be dragging it often.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by 2000taws6 View Post
    What is an ORY?

Off Road Y-pipe. Means the cats are not part of the y-pipe assembly. If you go with an ORY then you will need to get o2 sims and a tune so no codes get thrown. This is especially important if you live in a state that does required emissions testings for cars.
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

red
    2000 trans am ws6

Go with the Pacesetter Long Tube headers not Mid, Pacesetters fit good they bolt right in, just take your time would not recommend paying a shop to do them(prob$400-500 for them to install)takes around 2-3 hours each side I used ramps from autozone to get the front off the ground. get new exhaust Manifold Gaskets from a GM dealship($25) dont use the paper gaskets that come with the kit,on the extensions I used a 24inch on drivers side and a 12inch on passenger side. You can get the Pacesetter LTs and ORY for $500 shipped from byunspeed.

bight rallye red
    2000 Camaro Z28

i'm not sure if youve ever heard of them, but the ebay headers. Ive got a set and they are AMAZING. Hooker sells the same ones for about $900 while these where about $370 shipped. SS autochrome makes them and they are great. Stainless steel so you dont have to worry about anything ever rusting out. go to ebay and type in ls1 headers and youll see them.

IYP
    Quote Originally Posted by redrallyeZ View Post
    i'm not sure if youve ever heard of them, but the ebay headers. Ive got a set and they are AMAZING. Hooker sells the same ones for about $900 while these where about $370 shipped. SS autochrome makes them and they are great. Stainless steel so you dont have to worry about anything ever rusting out. go to ebay and type in ls1 headers and youll see them.
    these the ones?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-...ayphotohosting

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

REDRALLYEZ...what brand Y-pipe did you go with since one is not included?

Also, I believe that these are the headers he is talking about. They are like Hookers, but not made by them...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-CA...12255895QQrdZ1

bight rallye red
    2000 Camaro Z28

I had my mechanic custom make mine since I have dual cutouts in the y. The guy from the company SAID that pacesetter y would fit, but he said he didnt know for sure. i have a few pics on my cardomain if you want to see what im talking about, but since my post count isnt high enough, i cant post a url. go there and search for GeeReyZ28

bight rallye red
    2000 Camaro Z28

bight rallye red
    2000 Camaro Z28

there are two companies that sell the same headers, they may actually be the same guys, but the customer service was better with SS autochrome and they where closer to my home so i went with them

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

how much did it cost for your custom y-pipe? also, cats or no cats w/your set up?

bight rallye red
    2000 Camaro Z28

no cats, havent gotten the bill yet, but had the headers put in, cutouts welded in, y-pipe made, and all painted black. my mechanic said that it should be around $300

Thread Information