Thread: Headers

White
    98 Chevy camaro

Headers

I want to get headers for my 98 z28. not sure what to get long tubes. Short tubes. And will headers bolt up to front of the exhaust.i do have a flomaster cat back. Just not sure what to do. Thanks guys

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

welcome to ls1... for what i have learned about this cars is that shorties make no difference on this cars.. longtubes or stock.. only options you got.
    some states like cali, longtube headers are illegal bc the cats have to be relocated from stock position, what i mean by that is that you have to find out if that could be a problem in your state for emissions test.
    LTs headers are bolt on, some brands have some fitment problems but that is on your budget, cheap headers usually have this problems alot, kooks and all those expensive brands have no issues on fitment,, very rare that one doesnt fit right..
    a good brand is also pacesetter a good option and very good price.
    the catback should work fine, but you need a Y pipe that fits those headers.. either catted or with no cats..

how much you looking to spend on headers?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

As stated, long tube headers are the way to go on our cars. Stainless is a bit more $$, but they hold up great and will last forever. Let us know what you are thinking of getting and someone on here can give you real world feedback on them. I personally run Kooks headers and a Kooks catted Y-pipe on our car together with a Magnaflow catback and an electric cutout. One thing with LT's -- you'll want to grab a set of Bosch P/N 13111 O2 sensors as they have a nice long harness. Running extensions or cobbling up your own harness is generally asking for problems.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

to answer the other part of your question.....the way it works is each header manufacturer typically manufactures it's own Y pipe. The Y will run from your headers back to your existing catback's I-pipe. It will connect pretty much in the center of the car about where the rear seats are.

Navy Blue Metallic/Black
    02 camaro z28/01 wife t/a

get a set of bbk headers with ory for 360 bucks, can't beat that price plus the fit really good i install then in both camaros and trans am they always fit good takes about have a day with a couple of buddy's and jacks to do. Not hard at all

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

Pacesetters LTs is what ive ran and had no issues what so ever. Just depends on what you want to spend and to what your emissions will allow you to get by with. you can buy the headers/ory combo or if you have a decent local exhaust shop they may be able to build you one cheaper.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Im running hooker headers and y love it no fitment issues I got mine cheap try the parts for sale part of the form you might find a good deal their.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    2002 WS6 TA VERT M6 HOOKER SUPER COMPS ORY AND CAT BACK TUNE DONE BY CHARLES AT GREAD TUNNING!!

2007 Z71 EXTENDED CAB PROGRAMMER COLD AIR
    TRUE DUALS

Red
    99 Z28

Pacesetter are a good bang for your buck. You have many options on whos to buy or go with, but definetly get longtubes, anything else is a waste of money becuase you will end up getting longtubes in the long run.

Old Member, New Username BrownsMillsAntz's Avatar

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Dont waste your time on shortys....theres a lot of options out there Ebay,Pacesetter,etc,etc....You'll need ay ipe for the LT's your catback is fine.

Heads/Cam/Intake/Stall.
    404 Rwhp uncorrected @ 6400

98 Formula
    06 duramax

if you have an option to make a Y pipe or if you can find obx on ebay with a Y that would be the direction I went.

Black
    2001 Trans am WS6

Im in the same boat as our poster...I would love to install headers and a y-pipe but dont like the raspy sound of some that ive heard, so maybe just a gmmg catback (sounds awesome). also, do i need to get a tune if the exhaust is changed or is that just if anything on the intake side changes? will my engine light come on? Ive done the "free" mods to the car and some say it will run lean without a tune..is that true? any help would be great!

Red
    99 Z28

No tune is needed with an exhaust change.

The Generals Finest Deviant LS1's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by scott5 View Post
    No tune is needed with an exhaust change.
    I wouldn't say that. Perhaps with just a catback.

Once you install headers, Y pipe and a catback and got rid of one or all emission control devices your check engine light will come on. You also have a much better flowing exhaust and a tune will help you get the most out your mods and will get rid of those SES lights. Is a tune required for the car to run after these mods, no, but to get your AFR straightened out you will need a tune.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ This. Anything that changes airflow through the engine will have an impact on its volumetric efficiency -- headers, intake, heads, etc... Yes, you can run some mods without a tune, but you will be leaving power and efficiency on the table (no pun intended).

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

after doing the headers and ORX on both my cars, I put the rear o2s back in w/o cats and i dont have codes showing at all. Hooked it up to my computer and ran diagnostics on it and didnt change anything even at WOT.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Maybe the rear O2's were already tuned out by a prior owner or they are toast and show the PCM what it wants to see.

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

there not toast there still sending signals to the pcm. Idk may just be wednesday cars i guess but im curious to see someone else try it to see if the results are the same. 2/2 so far for me on mine. Ill try it again on my buddies SS when we tear into his h/c/ install.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

SLP has the entire system, LTH, 3"Y, and Hi Flo cats for about 1300.00

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

BBK's is what Im thinking to get in the future. can beat the price.
    BBK Performance 1694 - BBK Full-Length Headers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Thread Information