Thread: Headers

Black
    1998 Formula WS.6

Headers

Pacesetters Long ZTube or shorties which is better and which is easier to hook up to a SLP y -Pipe and after market MUfflex 4: exhaust while still being CARB emission legal? If you don;t knwo New Jerseuy Is a bitch when is comes to emissions.

thank you
    Eddie
    1998 Formula WS6 6-Sopeed

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

If you already have the Y-Pipe on the car with stock headers, then it will only fit shortys or stock headers. Mid-length and LT headers require a Y-Pipe for the specific length of headers (Mid or LT). Shorty's really won't give you any type of noticeable performance gain, and the gain will be much less considerable on the LT's if you keep the cats.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not really sure what you're asking

Pewter
    99 Z28 A4

There are other companies that makes long tubes with cats on the Y-pipes. I just remember off hand.

99 Firebird Formula

Your post is a little confusing...

Neither one is easier to install than the other in my opinion...you still need to remove all of the old stuff (manifolds) and that is a pain no matter how you look at it. Pacesetter longtubes slide right in, and I would imagine that shorties do the same.

The current y-pipe that you have won't work with the longtubes, you'd have to get a new one. If you get longtubes then most likely you won't pass emissions. Even if you get a catted y-pipe for longtubes a lot of states will still fail you for moving the cat from its stock location.

Red
    2000 SS

I think it's the Feds that said you cannot legally alter the cat's location. It may pass emissions (functional) but not the visual

Quote Originally Posted by funlman
    Pacesetters Long ZTube or shorties which is better and which is easier to hook up to a SLP y -Pipe and after market Mufflex 4: exhaust while still being CARB emission legal? If you don't know New Jersey is a bitch when is comes to emissions.
    Have an exhaust shop fabricate an entirely new Y-Pipe for whatever application you decide to go with. New Jersey isn't that bad when it comes to emission's, it's all in the tuning. Visuals are rare...

What part of New Jersey?

Black
    1998 Formula WS.6

Thanks for the information everyone. I asked a confusing question cause I was am confused still. I think so I can make the emission police happy I will go with Pacesetter Mid Lenght headers and I will still be able to keep everything else the way it is cats SLP y-pipe and just wait till I can afford the 4" Mufflex exhaust. I had to get the SLP I needed a Y-pipe and that is the only one I could find that would fit a 98.

I was thinking while I was getting the mid lenght headers installed along with the 4: cat back I should go ahead and have a pair of electric cutouts installed. I wonder what it would sound like with open headers?

I live in south jersey near Vineland and the local inspection stations are MF's I have to weait till June till I do anything get inspected in June then 2 years before I have to worry about the emission police.

I wonder if cutouts are illegal for inspection purposes?

thanks again
    Eddie

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

yea untill you get pulled over for something then the cop can say, "hey this thing seems loud" then he looks under the hood or car and sends you to emissions

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

If you have a 4" cat-back, I think you would be wasting money for cutouts. You can't put a cutout ahead of the converter, so you would still have to breathe through the biggest restriction.

If you want cut outs, save your money on the 4" setup, just put a ctout on the stock cat back. Quiet when you need it, loud when you don't.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

Black
    1998 Formula WS.6

Really, so the cutouts put after the CATS I assume someplace on th eY-Pipe would be better than running a 4" catbacj?

I wouldn't run open headers all the time just on certain occasions wqhen there is a "cute" ricer next to me flip[ a switch and embarassih the little rice bitch boy, LOL.

Seriously with ym stock WS6 exhaust except for the SLP Y-Pipe get electric cutouts afte the CATS would be better or unecessary to buy th e4" catback along with the mid tubes and cutouts?

thanks
    eddie

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

If you put an electric cutout on each side, after the cat but before the two side of the Y come together, that is about the best flowing system you can have. Since emissions are a concern, you may have to run a shorty or mid-length header to pass a visual inspection. You could have test pipes made to fit in place of the cats and just run them 99% of the time. The when you have to get tested, put the cats back in place.

Either way, dual 2.5" cut outs should be less restrictive than a 4" single system that feeds through a Y pipe and all the way over an axle, through a muffler.

Thread Information