Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: headers

now greybat66

Red
    1998 trans am

Question headers

What will header bring horsepower wise and will there be a real difference that u can feel.Is there horsepower difference because of what u drive auto compared to stick shift.Real horsepower numbers to the wheels.

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

To my knowledge headers are usually good for 15-20 hp or more especially if you add a good catback. Yes you would feel a difference in the car and horsepower.

"The auto vs stick difference" I do not know cause I never put headers on my auto but I have them on my manual
    SLP LT's, SLP High Flow Cats, 3" Flowmaster CB, Comp Cam, SLP Lid, LS6 Intake, BBK 80mm TB, SFC, Ram Air HO Hood, Lowered, Torq Thrust II's

red
    2000 camaro ss

well an auto surely soaks up more horse than the stick, AND, if you like to race from a roll (most opportunities to race on street will be from a roll) you'll never beat a guy who can drive his manual f-body (similar power numbers of course). i think manual cars may soak up 15% through drivetrain and autos are 20%. . . .OR. . . it's 10/15. . . .former i think is more realistic than the latter, but i've never dyno'd either in stock trim so i dunno for sure.

hugger orange

headers with a catback you will notice a good difference....good tune will make an even bigger difference. if you are running an automatic I'd get the torque management deleted and zero out shift delay.....makes it kinda violent but for a DD on the 1-2 shift but it will shift faster and harder than a manual....like Side said, we loose more power through the drivetrain, but the new shift speed and pressure pretty much makesup for it.
    add a 3,000 stall and your really in business.
    I've been running mine setup like this for awhile now and have had no tranny issues at all

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Stall will make a world of difference. Cant outshift a computer..
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

None

I think it was over 23-25 for me at the rear, with cats, longtubes/3in after that!
    I also lost some emission stuff at the same time!!! It was big time... I thought
    but I am still learning! I have dyno shts, but do not want to get that detailed...

Please, I do this site for fun not contest!

None

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    headers with a catback you will notice a good difference....good tune will make an even bigger difference. if you are running an automatic I'd get the torque management deleted and zero out shift delay.....makes it kinda violent but for a DD on the 1-2 shift but it will shift faster and harder than a manual....like Side said, we loose more power through the drivetrain, but the new shift speed and pressure pretty much makesup for it.
    add a 3,000 stall and your really in business.
    I've been running mine setup like this for awhile now and have had no tranny issues at all
    I did all that without the stall... still big difference!
    I like to more then drag, no stall yet!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by purplebat66 View Post
    What will header bring horsepower wise and will there be a real difference that u can feel.Is there horsepower difference because of what u drive auto compared to stick shift.Real horsepower numbers to the wheels.
    M6 here - Headers (Y pipe with cats) + tune added 22 RWHP and 23 RWTQ. Same catback before and after the headers. Yes you can feel a nice difference and the sound is much better too.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by SS 2002 533HP View Post
    I did all that without the stall... still big difference!
    I like to more then drag, no stall yet!
    you would like the stall i just put in, drives almost stock but better(2,800rpm)

correction to my previous post, lol just put the stall in, but have been running the tranny settings for awhile with 0 TM

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

im getting pacesetters with a corsa, do you think i should take my cats off? i heard it might be really loud and kind of annoying. how much power would i lose if i didnt take my cats and how much would i gain?

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

oh yeah u can definately feel the difference when u get headers. i noticed it as soon as i drove my car out of the shop. plus if ur an asshole like me and get a loudmouth with the headers ull be setting off car alarms. i love it lol
    2002 z28-slp cai, slp loudmouth, slp tuned headers, slp 85 mm MAF, slp high flow cats, 3" y-pipe and collectors
    331.6 rwhp/356.9 rwtq

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakiller99 View Post
    im getting pacesetters with a corsa, do you think i should take my cats off? i heard it might be really loud and kind of annoying. how much power would i lose if i didnt take my cats and how much would i gain?
    you wont beable to run your stock cats, and you will need o2 extensions (pacsetter headers come with the wire to cut and splice in)
    you will like the sound of it with a good set of mufflers, with or without cats

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

you wont beable to run your stock cats, and you will need o2 extensions (pacsetter headers come with the wire to cut and splice in)
    you will like the sound of it with a good set of mufflers, with or without cats

thanks but i got one more question, im probably going to end up getting pacsetters with the tsp catted y, would i lose much power if i get a catted y over a off road y?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

thanks but i got one more question, im probably going to end up getting pacsetters with the tsp catted y, would i lose much power if i get a catted y over a off road y?
    Not much, but it will be quieter than it is without cats

hugger orange

I've heard lots of good things about 4" catback on f-bodies. the catted Y should be a hiflow cat, stock or mild builds cat or catless exhaust shouldn't be that noticable of a difference in power. the cat is twice the size of the pipe to reduce restriction and flow pretty good. you will notice a catless system is a bit louder though

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

I've heard lots of good things about 4" catback on f-bodies. the catted Y should be a hiflow cat, stock or mild builds cat or catless exhaust shouldn't be that noticable of a difference in power. the cat is twice the size of the pipe to reduce restriction and flow pretty good. you will notice a catless system is a bit louder though
    Thanks, yeah i was just wondering if i would lose alot of power over cat less pipe. i heard about being catless can get annoyingly loud. thanks again.

hugger orange

Thanks, yeah i was just wondering if i would lose alot of power over cat less pipe. i heard about being catless can get annoyingly loud. thanks again.
    I've got lt's, 3" true duals, super 44's and no cats....she hates it, but I love it

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

if you are running an automatic I'd get the torque management deleted and zero out shift delay.....makes it kinda violent but for a DD on the 1-2 shift but it will shift faster and harder than a manual....
    How do ya do that?

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge91 View Post
    How do ya do that?
    you have to get it tuned out. i use one of my friends HPtuners program....its expensive but worth the money $649 for the program and you use your laptop

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

:shock:
    2002 Camaro SS A4 - SLP# 2951 l MS4 l LT's w/ORY l F.A.S.T 78 & TB l Borla l Cutout l CME l TCI 3500 l 3.23's l !emissions l !sway

Thread Information