Thread: Header Removal

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Header Removal

i went to pull a part today & pulled a lot of parts that was left on a 2000 Camaro SS it was a 6speed LS1 the headers are still on i wanna go back to pull a part tommorow & get these headers before they are gone now yall know that no fbody parts last long in the junkyard LoL! so the question of the day is how do i get these headers off?????? where do i start????

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Is it sitting on the ground? Gonna need a jack and stands,some pb blaster,gloves. Probably a flashlight. And wrenches,breaker bar,pipe. Leave the jack under it the whole time.

Pewter Metallic

Thanks for the info,at pull a part all cars are on rims sitting high off the ground I'm going to get those headers before someone else get them hopefully it has a y pipe too

Pewter Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Is it sitting on the ground? Gonna need a jack and stands,some pb blaster,gloves. Probably a flashlight. And wrenches,breaker bar,pipe. Leave the jack under it the whole time.
    I forgot to tell you that the transmission is already gone will that give me some clearance?

silver
    2000 formula

just pull the engine

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by fbodyNATION View Post
    I forgot to tell you that the transmission is already gone will that give me some clearance?
    Should make it a lot easier. bring the tools mentioned. soak with pb and start unbolting.
    awesome find on the f-body in the yard. they're like unicorns around here.

Pewter Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    just pull the engine
    I should try & pull the engine huh?I mean just for the experience side of it because I only pulled engines out of GM FWD cars(with help of course) pulling the engine might be an option,but the question of the day is do I pull it from the bottom or the top?

Pewter Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Should make it a lot easier. bring the tools mentioned. soak with pb and start unbolting.
    awesome find on the f-body in the yard. they're like unicorns around here.
    Thanx I will take your advice & use it I couldn't believe that an almost complete SS
    in the junk yard before I would have junked it I would have fixed it or parted it out somebody made a mistake LoL!

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Good luck with the headers and anything else you pull. I would be trying to dismantle and haul out as much as I could of that car. Always good to have the extra pieces on hand.

Pewter Metallic

You're absolutely right I'm going back for the headers,dash,rear end,Berger panel,door sills,and anything else because imo you can never have enough fbody parts

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

If you could get the motor cheap enough id consider selling it or keeping it as a spare if it was in good shape.... Is the hood still there? lol

Pewter Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    If you could get the motor cheap enough id consider selling it or keeping it as a spare if it was in good shape.... Is the hood still there? lol
    I don't know if the motor was any good but someone else took all the pulleys,computer,ac compressor,ignition coils,transmission etc,so I took the intake because I want to paint it.but I betcha the hood was good when the car came in because look like someone broke it up trying to open it up good way to mess up a SS hood if the hood was good I would have got it LoL!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what time are you going so I know how early I need to be there to beat you to it? Just take a flatbed and buy the whole damn thing and part it out and scrap what's left.

To answer your question.....that front is going to need to be pretty high to bring that drivers side header out the bottom. Is it on 2 rims stacked or just a single rim? If a single take your jack and some 2x4's to put on the jack and get the front high. I just remembered you said they pulled the tranny.....that's gonna make those headers much much easier. It also means the Y is probably gone or cut up at least.....hopefully they didn't cut through the collectors on the headers.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    what time are you going so I know how early I need to be there to beat you to it? Just take a flatbed and buy the whole damn thing and part it out and scrap what's left.

To answer your question.....that front is going to need to be pretty high to bring that drivers side header out the bottom. Is it on 2 rims stacked or just a single rim? If a single take your jack and some 2x4's to put on the jack and get the front high. I just remembered you said they pulled the tranny.....that's gonna make those headers much much easier. It also means the Y is probably gone or cut up at least.....hopefully they didn't cut through the collectors on the headers.

I thought the same thing about the Y, they more than likely removed the Y when pulling the tranny- makes it much easier to get the trans out with the exhaust out of the way. It can be done, but a ORY will create even less clearance than the stock one so I'm also guessing it was removed.

My suggestion would be to bring two jackstands and put that car as high up as possible. Then place the jack under the oilpan, loosen up the motor mounts and jack the engine up on the oil pan- Hell, with thw trans out, the only thing holig the motor up are those mounts! Loosen all the header bolts and then pull the motor mounts and headers out from the bottom. If you jack it up far enough you'll have plenty of clearance to pull them from the bottom and may not have to pull the steering linkage. You've even got another bonus if all the accessories were pulled- makes getting to everythign a breeze. Keep the motor mounts- the clamshells are pretty expensive and great to have a spare set when you're replacing the stockers with polys.
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

Thread Information