Black
    2000 T/A WS6

header noise level

Im looking at possible getting some headers and didn't know if they all made your car loud or if there is certain brands or styles that are not as loud. My car is driven around town on the weekend and sometimes by the wife. It has ory and no muffler. right now at cruising speeds you have to raise your voice a little now to have a converstion but it's not over bearing

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Depends on what you consider loud, I guess. I'm not sure if the actual brand of LT's will have that much impact on the sound level. It's really the lack of cats and what's out back that has the most impact. Since you have nothing out back and no cats -- it is going to be loud.
    Last edited by pajeff02; 07-09-2010 at 10:34 AM.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Depends on what you consider loud, I guess. I'm not sure if the actual brand of LT's will have that much impact on the sound level. It's really the lack of cats and what's out back that has the most impact. Since you have nothing out back and no cats -- it is going to be loud.
    ^This. +1

Black
    2000 T/A WS6

so if i put cats back on and do a catback system do you think it would be as loud as what im running now

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Initially I put on LT's, deleted the AIR and cats and ran a custom Y-pipe into the factory I-pipe through the factory transverse muffler and tips. The sound level was comparable to stock at idle. It didn't sound any different untill you hit the loud pedal. Still not very loud though.

Next I went with a 3" E-cutout (I'm lazy) in the I-pipe under the back seat. Closed it sounded stock, open it sounded like the Indy 500.

The system in my sig is what I have on the car currently. Still not too loud (at least for this old gerahead).
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I went from stock manifolds and cats with a Borla catback to
    1 7/8" LT headers and 3" ORY with a Borla Catback.
    At idle and cruise they sound about the same. Not louder at all to me. Open up the throttle some and the LT are definitely louder.
    Hope that helps you

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have QTP LT's and ORY with a SLP PoerFlo cat back and at idle it's a little deeper and cruising but doesn't really wake up till WOT. If you want it quit just do a st of LT's with a catted Y-pipe and Mangaflow. My friend runs KooKs lt's, with their magnaflow catted ypipe and a magnaflow catback and even at WOT it's not that loud. Too quiet for my taste. The cats are what make a huge difference in sound ORY cars are always going to be louder.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

this is going to sound stupid but what is catback?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    this is going to sound stupid but what is catback?

An exhaust system that replaces everything from the catalytic converters to the back of the car.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Agree with everyone else here. My Hooker LTs, ORY, and Hooker Aerochamber muffler is decently quiet at idle, wakes up nicely under full throttle, quiet for cruising with no droaning. I wouldn't mind a little louder, it used to be way louder but a baffle came loose in the old muffler and it would rattle, can't have that!

Thread Information