Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Header install tips quick

Im installing headers in the morning and wondering if anyone has any extra tips from what i have read i need to remove the coil pack, is there anything else i can remove that will help and can this be done in 6 hours with a lift a 2 guys?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Pull the spark plug wires, and then remove the coil packs leaving the plug wires attached to the coils. Remove your oil dipstick tube and you'll probably have to remove your oil filter. When unbolting the manifolds, take it easy and don't apply too much force. If a bolt starts to feel tight, stop immediately and loosen the rest of the bolts a bit so the manifold has some wiggle room. If it is still tight, then rock it in and out by alternately tightening and loosening it until it frees up. The heads are aluminum and sometimes the bolts are difficult to remove. If you snap one you are most likely going to have to pull a head to fix it. I left the cats attached to the stock manifolds -- no need to remove them really. You will need extensions for your O2 senders, or just get a set of Bosch 13111 senders as they come with a nice long harness.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Pull the spark plug wires, and then remove the coil packs leaving the plug wires attached to the coils. Remove your oil dipstick tube and you'll probably have to remove your oil filter. When unbolting the manifolds, take it easy and don't apply too much force. If a bolt starts to feel tight, stop immediately and loosen the rest of the bolts a bit so the manifold has some wiggle room. If it is still tight, then rock it in and out by alternately tightening and loosening it until it frees up. The heads are aluminum and sometimes the bolts are difficult to remove. If you snap one you are most likely going to have to pull a head to fix it. I left the cats attached to the stock manifolds -- no need to remove them really. You will need extensions for your O2 senders, or just get a set of Bosch 13111 senders as they come with a nice long harness.
    could you reach all the bolts from up top?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by davidz28 View Post
    could you reach all the bolts from up top?

As best I can remember, yes. I did remove the No. 8 spark plug from under the car though. Much easier than from up top.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

^^^^ This

Take your time! fallow one of the stickies on the site for header install, it is very helpful... PB-Blast the bolts! Replace motor mounts if needed when headers are removed(recommended)! Bosch 13111 O2's (recommended)! Wear gloves machined surfaces are sharp!

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

As best I can remember, yes. I did remove the No. 8 spark plug from under the car though. Much easier than from up top.
    i removed everything from the top!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Reminds me... use a flat blade screwdriver from the bottom to pop the plastic pins on your cowl seal. They will shred your hands.

silver
    2000 formula

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    thanks! much more helpful and in depth than the instructions i had printed off

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Reminds me... use a flat blade screwdriver from the bottom to pop the plastic pins on your cowl seal. They will shred your hands.
    Good point here! Wish I had been so lucky

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

why are you fellas removing the coil packs? no need to imho, neither should you have to remove the oil filter. like they said, be carefull when removing the manifold bolts especially if your are high mileage

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    why are you fellas removing the coil packs? no need to imho, neither should you have to remove the oil filter. like they said, be carefull when removing the manifold bolts especially if your are high mileage
    I removed the coil packs and the valve cover and pushed my A/C lines up toward the shock tower and my passenger side header went in from the top.

The driverside slid right up from the bottom,but the passenger side didn't want to go in from under the car.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Provides better access and pulling the coil packs takes all of 10 minutes.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

got the headers in took about 5 hours did NOT pull the coils packs or starter or filter. i didnt seen much a need or gain by doing this. getting the locking header bolts on and clipped in was the hardest part tomorrow ill start building the rest... oh and i extended my O2 sensors myself and they seem to work fine

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

got the headers in took about 5 hours did NOT pull the coils packs or starter or filter. i didnt seen much a need or gain by doing this. getting the locking header bolts on and clipped in was the hardest part tomorrow ill start building the rest... oh and i extended my O2 sensors myself and they seem to work fine

see i didnt remove any of that stuff either and had no trouble

2002 Black WS6

The only thing I needed to remove were the spark plugs and wires. If you are removing the AIR system, then removing the coil packs on the drivers side will make things a little easier

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

Took me about 10+ hours alone to get manifolds out and TSP headers in, both sides from the bottom, in my driveway with ramps and jackstands. 2 hands would speed it up and a lift would speed it up.
    Last edited by TransAmX2; 05-08-2011 at 05:09 PM.

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    I removed the coil packs and the valve cover and pushed my A/C lines up toward the shock tower and my passenger side header went in from the top.

The driverside slid right up from the bottom,but the passenger side didn't want to go in from under the car.
    That's really odd.. On the 4 installs I've done, the Passenger side was the easiest lol, All from the bottom

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Buy the Bosch 13111 O2's. Your sensors will most likely give you trouble later on down the road. Some guy just had trouble with that. Let me see if I can find the thread...

Edit: went to look for the thread and found it and then realized you were the guy that had that problem and then saw that this thread is about a month old, dammit
    Last edited by silverWS6; 05-10-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Black
    '98 Z28

Just finished the install myself. Did BBK headers and ORY. I also changed out the motor mounts, trans mount, spark plugs and wires. I replaced the O2's since it was about time to do so anyway. Car runs amazing now. Took me about 15 hours over two days by myself in the garage on jack stands. I pulled the starter and coil pack on the passenger side. Both headers slid right in from underneath with no problems.

The biggest issues I had were the header bolts in the far back and the passenger motor mount was a PITA. All in all, I'm glad I did the motor mounts and trans mount. No more shaky shifter. Car feels like a whole new beast now. Getting tuned soon.

Thread Information