Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    01 trans am

Angry Header install problem. (back firing)

I just installed long tube pace setter headers without egr hookup and pace setter off road y pipes. I havnt yet took the egr completely off, its only disconected. I sent my computer off to texas speed to get tuned. Its back firing and not running right at all, no horse power, it idles. Im lost in the sause right now and need help. Im guessing its something I installed wrong. Any idea's on where to start?

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Any codes? Did you break any plugs during the instail? Are all your wires on good and tight and not burned?
    Did you use 02 extensions or vette 02s?
    J

Black
    2003 Z06 Corvette

Did you cross up the O2 sensors

Are you sure lol

Bon

98 Formula
    06 duramax

how is the egr disconnected? Do you have the intake blocked off where the egr goes in?

Pewter
    01 trans am

I used the extentions that pace setter sent me. But Im going to soon get the corvette o2s. The EGR was tuned out from my knowledge, I had my computer sent in and re-tuned. I havnt yet taken the ERG off or pluged up the hole on the intake its still "open". I think I must of switched the o2 extention wires up.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog1371 View Post
    I used the extentions that pace setter sent me. But Im going to soon get the corvette o2s. The EGR was tuned out from my knowledge, I had my computer sent in and re-tuned. I havnt yet taken the ERG off or pluged up the hole on the intake its still "open". I think I must of switched the o2 extention wires up.
    there's your problem.....get a 1 3/8" expandable freeze plug from the parts store and close that hole. You basically created an enormous vacuum leak by leaving that hole open.

Pewter
    01 trans am

Today I took my o2s off and inspected all the wires, none of them are crossed or burned. I dont recall breaking any of my spark plugs but then again you never know. Im going to try that 1 3/8" freeze plug and see if that works. Has anyone ever heard of this problem before?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Today I took my o2s off and inspected all the wires, none of them are crossed or burned. I dont recall breaking any of my spark plugs but then again you never know. Im going to try that 1 3/8" freeze plug and see if that works. Has anyone ever heard of this problem before?
    you can't leave a huge hole open in the intake....it's the same as a massive vacuum leak. I'm surprised the car will even run.

Pewter
    01 trans am

Does it matter that the front o2's used to be on cat and now their just installed on the headers? I took my cats out and installed the y pipe into my flowmaster exsaust.

Pewter
    01 trans am

Do you have to take the whole intake manifold off to reach it? thats a tight fit.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Does it matter that the front o2's used to be on cat and now their just installed on the headers? I took my cats out and installed the y pipe into my flowmaster exsaust.
    I'm not sure what you have going on here....the harness for the front O2's drop down off the k-member and the front O2's should go in your header collectors.

Do you have to take the whole intake manifold off to reach it? thats a tight fit.
    your egr connects to the intake just behind the throttle body on top of the intake.......

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Ok......FIRST THING FIRST: LISTEN TO ORION!!!! That hole in your intake is killing your engine!!!!. HOW it RUNS I have no Idea......Get that hole plugged ASAP and let us know how it goes. DO NOTHING ELSE....DON'T WORRY ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE but that HOLE in your INTAKE.......THEN hit us up with your additional questions/concerns/needs..........

Just trying to look out for you man.....no need to see an LS1 struggle when it doesn't have to!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    there's your problem.....get a 1 3/8" expandable freeze plug from the parts store and close that hole. You basically created an enormous vacuum leak by leaving that hole open.

This is what Orion is trying to tell you to plug. It is located behind the throttle body

I borrow pic from Install University

Pewter
    01 trans am

My engine does not look like that picture.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

My engine does not look like that picture.
    this is twice this week that I've done this.....I notice now that you have an 01 so you don't have an EGR. You have the LS6 intake which doesn't have the egr port in it like the picture. Now we have to figure out what hole is open. There should be no open holes on the intake. Can you describe exactly where it's at or can you take pictures and post them?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

this is twice this week that I've done this.....I notice now that you have an 01 so you don't have an EGR. You have the LS6 intake which doesn't have the egr port in it like the picture. Now we have to figure out what hole is open. There should be no open holes on the intake. Can you describe exactly where it's at or can you take pictures and post them?
    My bad Orion, I didn't pay attention to the yr.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

possible open hole on a provision on the header... also he might want to make sure ALL the spark plugs and boots are connected... might be the air system... are the 02 sensors wire plugs connected right???

are any trouble codes being thrown???

Pewter
    01 trans am

Thumbs up

Changed the spark plugs today and it runs perfect lol. Must of broke one while putting the headers on. And I took the whole EGR off also. But the the check engine light is still on. Any ideas?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Yea NO CATS. got get the rear O2's tuned out. then the CEL will not come back but it is not going to hurt anything. Take the car and get it scanned to make sure that this is the only code. then save up for a tune and have it tunned out.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Changed the spark plugs today and it runs perfect lol. Must of broke one while putting the headers on. And I took the whole EGR off also. But the the check engine light is still on. Any ideas?
    You keep saying EGR.... it confuses those reading (and rightfully so). Your car NEVER HAD EGR.

So, I don't know what you took off, but it definitely wasn't that.

Thread Information