Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member FuxOnTheFirstDate's Avatar

Shit

Header Install/Lifting Vehicle

http://eagleequip.com/Merchant2/merc...ory_Code=LI-LM

I'm planning on a Pacesetter install sometime in the future and I was wondering what you guys thought about a portable lift like these. The width concerns me a little bit because they aren't even 4 feet wide but I've heard that you need to get these cars pretty high up in the air for header installs, tranny swaps, etc. Besides, they are less than $2,000 so I would think that would be a good investment for the DIY guys out there like myself. So what do you think?
    Last edited by FuxOnTheFirstDate; 04-23-2007 at 01:34 PM.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Did you see the shipping weight?

Shit
    950 pounds? Shit, that better be a typo. How can this weigh 950 pounds?

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

that thing is nice

Shit
    I'm seriously thinking about getting one. I think it would work to get the headers in there but I might have to lower it back down and use a jack or ramps for the y-pipe and anything else that is underneath the middle of the car. If it really is 950 pounds that kind of scares me but maybe I can make it work.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Personaly i used a suv jack and some jack stands and it got my and many other cars plenty high and it only cost me like 40 bucks for the jack and stands.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by FuxOnTheFirstDate View Post
    950 pounds? Shit, that better be a typo. How can this weigh 950 pounds?

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Would you want to work under a 3500lb car sitting on a 300lb lift? I'd be happy that thing weighs that much.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Jack stands don't weigh nearly that much and those hold well.

And how the hell would you carry that thing around? Sure, it has wheels, but that sumbitch is heavy.

And it looks like a balancing act, put 10 lbs on the ass of that vette and down she goes.

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

I really think a lift like that would b more of a pain in the ass than anything else. i mean its just as u said, u wont be able to get at the y pipe due to the lift being in the way. i just picked up a kwicklift and i am very pleased with the results. It provided adaquate lift ( about 2 - 2 1/2 feet from ground to bottom of chasis) to drop out a transmission, and replace a clutch on a M6 f-body. check out their website cuz its cheaper too.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

it just doesn't look safe for 500.00 or so more get a two post.

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon7I2 View Post
    I really think a lift like that would b more of a pain in the ass than anything else. i mean its just as u said, u wont be able to get at the y pipe due to the lift being in the way. i just picked up a kwicklift and i am very pleased with the results. It provided adaquate lift ( about 2 - 2 1/2 feet from ground to bottom of chasis) to drop out a transmission, and replace a clutch on a M6 f-body. check out their website cuz its cheaper too.
    yes me and Jon7I2 share a kwiklift - this thing is great!! Here is the link http://www.kwiklift.com/

It is built strong and i have no fear having my vehicle on it and myself under it. The price is cheaper than the one you are looking at. It weighs 540 lbs so its a little hard to ship. It came on a semi from oklahoma and we had to go to a local trucking place to pick it up. I too am going to do headers soon and i know that it will be a peice of cake while on the lift. If you have any questions i will be glad to help.

Shit
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Personaly i used a suv jack and some jack stands and it got my and many other cars plenty high and it only cost me like 40 bucks for the jack and stands.
    J

Hmm. I do have jack stands already but I keep reading about how people have to get the front of the car "super high" and that made me think jack stands wouldn't work. If they worked for you they can work for me so maybe I'll just do that then.

Shit
    Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    yes me and Jon7I2 share a kwiklift - this thing is great!! Here is the link http://www.kwiklift.com/

It is built strong and i have no fear having my vehicle on it and myself under it. The price is cheaper than the one you are looking at. It weighs 540 lbs so its a little hard to ship. It came on a semi from oklahoma and we had to go to a local trucking place to pick it up. I too am going to do headers soon and i know that it will be a peice of cake while on the lift. If you have any questions i will be glad to help.
    Damn, that thing gives you quite a bit of height. Does it give you complete access to the undercarriage too? It looks like it does but I can't tell for sure.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

My crasftsman 4 ton jack from sears got both mine and a friend's trans ams high enough for headers and exhaust... and the jack was 125 bucks.... but your choice.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxOnTheFirstDate View Post
    Damn, that thing gives you quite a bit of height. Does it give you complete access to the undercarriage too? It looks like it does but I can't tell for sure.
    yes you can do just about anything on it. I can't think of anything that the lift would be in the way of. As Jon7I2 said, we dropped my trans and we had plently of room to do that.

I'll try to dig up some pics for you.

Shit
    Thanks guys. I'll look into the 4 ton floor jack and the kwiklift as well. I'm thinking the 4 ton jack could get the front high enough to get the jack stands under. Then I could lower the jack, put it on boards, then jack it up again to adjust the jack stands to a higher level. Just a thought.
    Last edited by FuxOnTheFirstDate; 04-24-2007 at 03:28 PM.

Shit
    Quote Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR View Post
    My crasftsman 4 ton jack from sears got both mine and a friend's trans ams high enough for headers and exhaust... and the jack was 125 bucks.... but your choice.
    Where on the car did you use that jack? Did you do it on the side where the jack that comes with the car is supposed to go or did you find some place to lift the whole front up at once without having to do one side at a time?

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

I just lift it with the k-member... then put the stands under the front wheels and drop it back down... might not be the best way... but it works.

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

It is important to remember always about your personal safety wen working on ur car. I mean believe me it is easy to forget wen ur trying to accomplish a job, but ultimately it is simply not worth it. If the car ever slipped or fell wen u say had ur hand up in the header area(from the bottom) U would probably lose ur arm or ur life. Is that worth it to install a set of headser? I mean i have done some pretty stupid things in the past but now i've come to realize that i want 100% ssafety wen i get under the car. I think the kwiklift is an extremely safe piece of equiptment and i highly recommend it.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

That thing is nice but it blocks the whole middle of the car. YOu can't drop a tranny on that. Jackstands work just fine.

Thread Information