Thread: Header choices

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Header choices

I've been browsing headers. There are a lot of options out there: 1 5/8, 1 3/4, shorties, mid length, and long tubes. I'm looking for good streetable power, with the easiest install possible.

I liked this article http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ics/index.html about headers. I know that the headers I use will modify my stock torque curve depending on the tube length, collector size, and diameter. I don't know my stock peak torque point. I found this article http://www.cranecams.com/?show=streetShark and intend to head this direction with the car.

What are some of the best headers choices out there, and how is the install? I had to notch the frame and partially pull the motor of my 79 Z28 to put in long tubes, and the same with my 88 SS Monte. I'd like to do a bit more research on this project and be prepared.

I don't want something that's going to drag the ground or burn up anything. I'm looking at coated headers to help with underhood temps. It appears these will have to be installed from the underside in this car, where my Z & SS had to come in from the top to clear the frame. Suggestions?

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

You'll have to sacrifice one thing for another unforunately. Shorties are easier to install than LT's, but they don't give much performance. LT's give the best performance but are a bit more difficult to install. I say longtubes all the way. If you're going to replace the exhaust manifolds, you might as well do it right the first time. It will take a bit more work and patience, but well worth it. You sound like you have some experience with LT's under your belt, so I say go for it.
    Pacesetters are the cheapest and seem to be the popular choice among the budgeted f-body owners. But Kooks and QTP are the top-of-the-line brand for those who can afford it and want the most out of their engine.

Sunset Orange
    2002 TransAm

Kook's LT's - expensive, but I highly recommend them if you can afford them. NO
    ground clearance issues. Just put them on my 02 T/A.
    2002 Sunset Orange TransAm 6 spd.
    http://www.mustangmods.com/data/1327/dadsigpic2.jpg

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

How did the install go? Any bending, notching or anything like that?

NBM
    98 trans am

what makes your car louder, kooks LT or pacesetter LT?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I have coated pacesetter LT's on mine because it's hard to pass up that price. They really are a nice header too. Unless you're going stainless I would recommend taking a look at pacesetters. Their price is hard to beat and the quality is good.
    I think you'll find that the LT install on a late model f-body really isn't that bad. If you get the car high enough you won't have much problems with them. I had to trim a casting plug on my block 1/4" and that was about it. I didn't have to touch nothing else really. Went in like butter.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Where's the best place to pick up some coated Pacesetters? Is there a group discount purchase price?

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jag42420 View Post
    Where's the best place to pick up some coated Pacesetters? Is there a group discount purchase price?
    The aveage price for Pacesetters around the net is about $420, anymore, and you're overpaying. I bought mine here:
    http://www.neweraperformanceparts.com/default.asp?S=503&A=E&PKV=pslt1ch|0

Cheapest I've found.

For my install, I had to lift the engine with a hoist on the passenger side to fit that header in. It just wouldn't fit any other way. Some guys have more/different problems than others. It depends on your specific vehicle actually.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Cool deal. Thanx

98 Formula
    06 duramax

The LT1 cars are definitely a different animal when it comes to header swaps. I didn't have to do any of that for mine. Just trim the casting plug on the drivers side of the block a little and everything slid right in. On the old design some guys had to grind on the k-member but pacesetter fixed that. I didn't have to touch the k-member on mine.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    The LT1 cars are definitely a different animal when it comes to header swaps. I didn't have to do any of that for mine. Just trim the casting plug on the drivers side of the block a little and everything slid right in. On the old design some guys had to grind on the k-member but pacesetter fixed that. I didn't have to touch the k-member on mine.
    Fortunately, I didn't have to touch the K-member either. I had to remove my oil pressure switch on the driver's side and lift the engine on the passenger side. LT1's are not easy compared to most cars. Glad I saved myself $500 though.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Don't get the SLP's, ground clearance issues on stock ride, spend the extra money and go for the Kooks.

Do you really want to have to do the job twice?

red
    1995/2002 camaro z28's

what are your feelings towards hooker lts?

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I look at it this way, all coated headers are practically the same. Pacesetter, Hooker, SLP...etc will all yield similar gains and are fun as hell to run open. The only thing that sets them apart are the little things, like design of primaries, flange thickness, shit like that. Hooker LT's are just more expensive than Pacesetter.

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Hookers are nice too. I mean exhaust.

Thread Information