Thread: header choice

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

header choice

I need to make a choice 1 7/8 tsp headers or 1 3/4 headers I know this is a old question but still need help I will be running x pipe with turndowns the car has a hotcam don't say it's a weak cam previous owner install would have choosen something else but came with the car it's m6 car will be installing ls6 intake also has the free mods shaner porter throttle body what will give me overall the best rip me a new one feel will be retuning after all this please help all comments welcome thanks

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

1 7/8 will do you just fine..

Red
    2001 ws6

do you plan on modding more? if so id go with the 1 7/8 (bigger cam etc.) with the 1 7/8 you might gain a LITTLE hp over the 1 3/4 but your going to loose some tq. IMO unless you add some more breathing mods

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    do you plan on modding more? if so id go with the 1 7/8 (bigger cam etc.) with the 1 7/8 you might gain a LITTLE hp over the 1 3/4 but your going to loose some tq. IMO unless you add some more breathing mods
    it wont matter if he looses a little down low.... who races below 3k rpms? if he has a stall or m6 he should never be under that...

the gains up top would out weigh the negative down low..

if you dont have a stall.. i would suggest that before headers anyways.. that should be first mod..

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

it's m6 car ppl always say you lose torque down low which i understand because the velocity lose and I am getting ready to install a 9 inch with 4.56 gears so I not going to pussy foot off the line and one day more mod to come heads bigger cam all that good stuff the 1 7/8 was the ones I wanted

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by zmg00camaross View Post
    it's m6 car ppl always say you lose torque down low which i understand because the velocity lose and I am getting ready to install a 9 inch with 4.56 gears so I not going to pussy foot off the line and one day more mod to come heads bigger cam all that good stuff the 1 7/8 was the ones I wanted
    your right on track.. go with them.. you wont be let down..

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

As far as the low end torque loss from bigger pipes, it actually does matter if its your daily driver, loss of torque = less gas mileage. But if its your track car be my guest.
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    As far as the low end torque loss from bigger pipes, it actually does matter if its your daily driver, loss of torque = less gas mileage. But if its your track car be my guest.
    if your modding for speed.... even if your DD... if your keeping gas mileage in mind, your car isnt going to be very fast anyways...

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

it's not my DD I just think about speed don't care about fuel mileage I am installing 4.56 gears that will help fuel mileage hehe I am glad you guys aren't hateing on the bigger headers seems most due on here

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
    if your modding for speed.... even if your DD... if your keeping gas mileage in mind, your car isnt going to be very fast anyways...

That's not true, there is a right way to build it and a wrong way. I've seen guys in the low 11's s still getting mid 20s for their mgs. There are always decisions you can make in the way you go about your build that will be less harsh on gas mileage, example: running a turbo instead of a supercharger will give you better mileage because you don't have parasitic drag on the crankshaft, running nitrous instead of turbos or a supercharger will get you great mileage because you put out power only when you need it, not during your commute to work when you don't need it.

In fact there are ways of increasing mpg's and dropping your times. Increasing compression, improved exhaust flow (assuming diameters aren't too big), weight reduction , drivetrain upgrades, intake upgrades and suspension are all mods that WILL drop your times and will improve your mileage.

Thread Information