Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

black
    99 Z28

Granatelli waste of money!!!!!

The Granatelli Mass Air Flow Sensor could very well be a waste of $350 dollars! It supposedly claims sick gains of hp an torque, but I think the manufacturer is claiming nonsense. Here's why: My friend has a 35th anniv. SS with the GMS MAF sensor installed, and there aren't any noticeable gains(not worth the money that one costs anyway). My advice to anyone thinking of getting one is: SAVE YOUR MONEY!!! Go with a set of headers or a cam package. De-screen the thing for free and save the money for real power gains. I could see putting one on MAYBE if you've already got all bolt-ons and full exhaust and a cam package, but I still don't think it would put down big #s like it claims.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

I don't think a MAF could ever give that much of an increase, but did he have it tuned after installing it?

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert
    I don't think a MAF could ever give that much of an increase, but did he have it tuned after installing it?

black
    99 Z28

actually if you want the whole overview I think a lot of bolt-ons are over-rated. Here's the full comparison:
    2002 SS camaro vs. 1999 Z28 camaro

02' mods: Mid length headers along with full Borla exhaust(no cats), hypertech prog., GMS MAF sensor, SLP air lid, K&N filter, T.B. bypass.
    99' mods: MTI air lid, K&N filter
    02' 1/4---> 13.4 @110mph street tires
    99' 1/4---> 13.6 @102mph street tires
    R/Ts were about the same 60' was better in SS of course.
    That's about $1800 for 2 tenths of a second!!!!
    (Of course my friend w/ 02' corrected some things;got rid of the hypertech and tuned with hp tuner.He should be running 12s now easily)
    It must always come down to the tuning, obviously. Open for speculation anyway. How about those underdrive pulleys;are they worth buying?

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by BlackZ28629
    actually if you want the whole overview I think a lot of bolt-ons are over-rated. Here's the full comparison:
    2002 SS camaro vs. 1999 Z28 camaro

02' mods: Mid length headers along with full Borla exhaust(no cats), hypertech prog., GMS MAF sensor, SLP air lid, K&N filter, T.B. bypass.
    99' mods: MTI air lid, K&N filter
    02' 1/4---> 13.4 @110mph street tires
    99' 1/4---> 13.6 @102mph street tires
    R/Ts were about the same 60' was better in SS of course.
    That's about $1800 for 2 tenths of a second!!!!
    (Of course my friend w/ 02' corrected some things;got rid of the hypertech and tuned with hp tuner.He should be running 12s now easily)
    It must always come down to the tuning, obviously. Open for speculation anyway. How about those underdrive pulleys;are they worth buying?
    yea it's only .2 of a sec...but his trap is 8mph higher, which is mainly from his exhaust

Black
    1999 T/A

Listen if you are going to spend 350$ on mods get a set of pacesetter or gears. Do not get a MAF please.

Boosted Foolz

BlAcK
    1998 FiReBiRd FoRmUlA

i've heard that the Granatelli's and such cause problems when you go to tune, the only reason the may make the car faster is they advance the timing... or so i thought

Black
    1999 T/A

Yep they trick your PCM and add timing.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I'm running a stock Maf....
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

Black
    2002 Camaro

Bolt on mods really arent worth the cost for what you get in return, they really come into play though when you start seeing HP numbers around 5-600
    Then I can see going from a stock MAF to a aftermarket giving you an extra 20 horse. In my opinion though...
    :firedevil THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!!!!! :firedevil
    See folks... What alot of people dont realize is that given that the VE is the same between to engines, you can have a 500 CI and a 350 CI and they will both require the exact same amount of air if they are making the same power. Believe it because as rediculas as it sounds its true.
    I too have a bunch of bolt ons but I am not even going to bother using them on my stock LS1 untill I finish my 427LS1.
    As for right now I am spending the majority of my money on Suspension.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

The better solution is take you you $350 and your stock MAF and go to a tuner and get it tuned. You'll pick up 20 or 30 hp over the stock tune and he won't be fighting the GMAF to get it tuned right.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Vettish
    Ive herd of people losing HP after they installed Granatelli MAF

Boosted Foolz

BlAcK
    1998 FiReBiRd FoRmUlA

well i will say this for the granatelli, i have a GMAF that i dont have intalled, came with the car and i took it off cuz i heard nothing but bad things, so i decided i'd install it to see if i feel a difference, i also picked up a HPP3 for $100, i installed the "premium" tune and turned my fans to 160, (i already have the thermo installed) and left everything else stock, and put in the GMAF (it says its rated for a cold tune) and i did feel a difference in the car. I even picked up a friend who didnt know i installed thema nd took him for a ride. said it seemed to pull harder low end.... ne one else have results like this?

Yellow
    2015 Z06 Coming, 2014 Z51

Quote Originally Posted by Vettish
    Ive herd of people losing HP after they installed Granatelli MAF
    If you install a Granatelli MAF and loose power, you’re doing something wrong. Allowing the engine to breath better can never be a bad thing.

Every Granatelli Meter goes across our flow bench and they are measured for accuracy and consistency.

I get a kick when I read these posts that start out like this, “my friend said” or “my tuner said to take the Granatelli meter off because he can’t tune for it”

If your tuner or calibration person can’t tune your car with the meter installed then he needs a new job. One thing is for sure every Granatelli meter outputs the same so if they are off – they are all off the exact same amount – that means a tuner should be able to tune for it if they know what they are doing.

In 1998 when we first gained popularity on LT1 meters, we were the mod of choice. Then, the LS1 guys were all over it. When the Chip tuners started touting their virtues the meters started to take a hit. Chip tuners said they could tune for the ported meter and said why give Granatelli your money when you can give it to them.

Well all of you that want a simple bolt on and don’t want to spend all day on the dyno, the Granatelli meter is the perfect bolt on.

I agree with the proper tuning, a ported meter

will work just as well. That is why we offer the housings

We introduced the 85mm MAF for the F-body. SLP was quick to copy our part and several of you were quick to jump on the SLP meter. Some said they made more power with the SLP. That is like saying your car runs faster with blue paint instead of black paint. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE. LOL!

Bottom line we have the right part for you. Plain ported meters or perfectly calibrated. We are here to help - bashers and all

Black SVT & Silver WS6
    2003 SVT Cobra & 2002 WS6

Cant really argue with that…
    No replacement for displacement.

Click for full size

Quote Originally Posted by Granatelli
    ... all of you that want a simple bolt on and don’t want to spend all day on the dyno, the Granatelli meter is the perfect bolt on.
    I think it's safe to say that people who don't spend all day on the dyno, are more than likely people who will not see up to five hundred plus horsepower from their LSx's. That being said, the stock Mass Air Flow sensor will be more than adequate for their needs...

Adding a larger MAF to a "bolt on" LS1 is a lot like adding a three inch exhaust to an anemic 305 engine... the concept is great, but it does absolutely nothing. Now, if we're talking a good H/C/I combination, then this would obviously be a completely different story.

blue
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I still use the stock mass air. Never seen the point to buying a bigger one.

Black SVT & Silver WS6
    2003 SVT Cobra & 2002 WS6

Well, you don’t really need one of your just doing bolt-on.

TAFOSTERWS6
    for $350, I will kick you in the balls, and over the next week or so as you feel improvement (performance gains) it will be all worth it!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information