Black
    00' Firehawk T/A

Going From Open Headers to Dumps...

I've been running open headers (hooker) w/ a tr230 cam for over a year now without any problems. I've been pulled over but they haven't said anything about my exhaust until about a week ago. I had a cut-out before but it didn't sound anything like open headers.

I want to tone it down a bit, and I was thinking about dumps. Most people I talk to say you can't true duals/dumps because of clearance. Has anyone tried just adding 18" of sweet-thunder's to the end of their headers?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Puppet_Master View Post
    I've been running open headers (hooker) w/ a tr230 cam for over a year now without any problems. I've been pulled over but they haven't said anything about my exhaust until about a week ago. I had a cut-out before but it didn't sound anything like open headers.

I want to tone it down a bit, and I was thinking about dumps. Most people I talk to say you can't true duals/dumps because of clearance. Has anyone tried just adding 18" of sweet-thunder's to the end of their headers?
    Definitely possible. An x-pipe before the bullets wold also help a little for power.

Black
    00' Firehawk T/A

So, I can just add bullets to the end of my headers? What is the maximum length that I can add?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Puppet_Master View Post
    So, I can just add bullets to the end of my headers? What is the maximum length that I can add?
    Well usually people run out pipes and dump it right before the axle. Look up the texas speed true dual system for LS1s. Think thats about as close as you can get to your request. Dont know if i would want the bullets right on the headers. You could probably run up to about 18 bullets, maybe a little longer.

Black
    00' Firehawk T/A

I checked out the Texas Speed TD system and it looks like a decent solution. I'm trying to avoid getting a system and it not being loud enough. I'm used to open headers so anything is going to be more quit.

Maybe I should start with the cheaper solution of just getting a bullet or sweet thunder, and if that doesn't achieve the sound I'm looking for, then proceed to the more expensive option of the complete X-system.

Do you have any opinions on whether I should go with a bullet of sweet thunder?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

If you want it loud, then go with true duals and dynomax bullets or sweet thunder bullets.

Useful site
    ls1sounds.com
    Just check out the true dual section
    they also have other exhaust systems and cams you can hear
    enjoy

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

If you're just gonna add a bullet on each header, I highly suggest dynomax race bullets. They'll tone the noise level down a little but still keep the aggressive tone that you like so much.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-24222/

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Your car isn't running as good as it could with open header set-up. For one reason is that the O2 sensors are super close to the ends of headers and allow fresh air to hit them. It may run without problems but your not getting full power is for sure
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    00' Firehawk T/A

Quote Originally Posted by Benner View Post
    If you're just gonna add a bullet on each header, I highly suggest dynomax race bullets. They'll tone the noise level down a little but still keep the aggressive tone that you like so much.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-24222/
    I think that's what I'm going to do. If they're still too loud then I can always put them at the end of a true dual setup like tatortot91 suggested, right?

Also, the ones you linked to are 16.5", do you think that's the longest length I should try?

Thread Information