Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Getting ready for a header install. Tips, suggestions?

Last year I bought a set of QTP 1 3/4 LT's from Brandon. It was already august so I got the 12 bolt and cat back installed and set up but never got to the intake or LT's. I did however get the car tuned by a local LS1 wizard. Great thing about this guy is that he frequents E-town and will log my runs to help dial in the car juuuusst right in the real world instead of on a dyno.

So now I'm looking to get them installed and hold onto every last bit of ground clearance I can. I tried getting in touch with QTP to see if they would fab something on car for me but they didn't really want to take on the job due to a move and backlog of work. I was recommended to go to Mufflex in Trenton who seem eager to help and to please.

I plan on getting the Y done in 3 inch stainless to match the 3 inch catback the car already has. I also want high flow cats to keep the sound aggressive but not too much louder than it already is. AIR and EGR have already been tuned out. The tune is all set to accept an LS6 intake and LTs

I plan on picking up a new GM exhaust manifold gasket, a set of o2 sensors (i hear some vette sensors have the right length??), a pair of 3 inch stainless high flow cats and possibly a y collector so Mufflex only needs to set up the pipes for maximum clearance and set me on my way.

My car has Spohn steel engine mounts. These lift the engine a bit... maybe as much as 1/2 inch? Should help a ton with header clearance hopefully with the Y as well.

Thanks for reading this far!!! So big question. Am I leaving anything out? Any recommendations for a cat or a collector? should I just leave the merge to Mufflex?

I'm actually terrified of loosing too much clearance. From pics it looks like headers rarely dip below the K member but the K member has the advantage of having the suspension in line with it. I ran 13.4 without headers or intake on this tune on a bad launch.... i'm hoping for great things with the headers, y and intake.... plus some DRs

arrest me red
    2002 z28 camaro

I have recently had pacesetter LT, and y pipe done (3"). And it didn't change my clearance, the headers were made for the ls1 in the ta and camaro. So it seems logical to me that they'd have the exact same height. The shop didnt have to do any extra mods to get em to fit. So maybe sell those and go with fitted ones? This is just my opinion.

arrest me red
    2002 z28 camaro

About the sound... I had Slp loudmouth with 1 bullet, prior to the LT install. It had a decent rumble to it. the high flow cats LTs and Y pipe made it so much louder at high rpms but at idle, its not a major difference but it sounds like it grew a pair Haha

Navy Blue Metallic/Black
    02 camaro z28/01 wife t/a

your going to lose some clearance do to the diameter of the pipe, but it should't be to bad, unless your lower then that's a different story, also if you plan on lowering your car you should keep that in mind, i have slp lt into a slp y pipe 3 inch with magnaflow 3 inch bullet cats and 3 inch magnaflow cat back is not bad is my DD and i love it, also im lower you just got to be care full on the bumps but not to bad.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

yeah i'm lowered on Stranos. In NYC they have a terrible concept of how high bumps can or should be. i've had to back out of a lot of tricky situations. One in Chinatown where they had a big dropoff after a steel plate covering a construction site. I thought i might scrape but i dang near rested the chassis on the ground. Had traffic stopped because nobody could understand the concept of "car too low need to back out"

I need to pick parking garages carefully because many have too steep an angle and the chassis will take a seat. Thank god for 3 point SFCs it's like armor for the chassis. I'd rather a 300 dollar steel tube take the hit knowing i can just replace it down the line.

EPIDEMIC. The LT's are made for these cars. it's the 1 3/4 Quick Time Performance LTs. I got them off of a 98 Z28.

Thanks for the quick feedback guys. A little worried about how loud it will be under full anger. Don't want to attract too much of the wrong attention. I just REALLY REALLY REALLY want an 11s car and this is pretty much a requirement in the road to getting there.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Be sure to pick up a case of beer before the install that always helps. And have you thought about running cat less with a cut out? quite when you need it and then air flow when you need it...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I live in NY and drive the car a lot. I want it to be as quiet as possible all the time. I also doubt i'm doing the install. I want the Y fabbed on car for the best clearance. No way am i driving from NYC to Trenton NJ with open headers.... i mean... yeah i'd love to. but po po might take exception to that.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

I gotcha

Thread Information