black
    1998 Camaro SS

get exhaust welded in?...

i am takin the 98 ss to an exhaust shop to get a magnaflow muffler welded in place of the loudmouth resonator and i was thinking about getting them to go ahead and remove the clamps on the rest of the exhaust and weld it in. My question is will i be able to remove the transmission to replace the clutch with the exhaust still in? i dont want to get it welded and then have to put in a clutch and be screwed.. Thanks

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Unless its leaking i wouldnt worry about spending the extra cash on welding the entire system.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

black
    1998 Camaro SS

ya sorry i forgot to add that it is leaking from a couple of the clamps. i cant get them to seal.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

are you using band clamps or c clamps on those ?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

You should have no leaking with a good band clamp. I have many of them. They were 25 bucks or so a piece and I just ran them tight with my impact gun. No wrench turning, you gotta get a impact on them.

On my cutout, I went and got 2 new band clamps, put a bead of red RTV and tightened that crap outta them. Zero leaks.

Welding your exhuast will make your life horrible if you ever have to pull the tranny etc. It is very nice to be able to drop certain parts of the exhuast. I vote no on welding the exhuast.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    You should have no leaking with a good band clamp. I have many of them. They were 25 bucks or so a piece and I just ran them tight with my impact gun. No wrench turning, you gotta get a impact on them.

On my cutout, I went and got 2 new band clamps, put a bead of red RTV and tightened that crap outta them. Zero leaks.

Welding your exhuast will make your life horrible if you ever have to pull the tranny etc. It is very nice to be able to drop certain parts of the exhuast. I vote no on welding the exhuast.
    hmm didn't think about red RTV...might passanger side header leaks where it meets the y-pipe...i bought them used..so they were dinged up...but even with the band clamp it still leaks ..its getting on my nerves

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

My whole system is banded also, no problemsOnly weld is where it goes from 3 to 4". I say band.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

use clamps!!! i helped a member here with a header and y-pipe install... the welds were a real bitch...

2000 Trans Am

Don't mean to steal the thread but does the magnaflow fit right in without modifications? And what does that do for the sound?
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

I had a previous system welded (but still used a Clamp at the Y pipe connection) and it was great until I needed to drop the Fuel tank for a leaky line. The current setup (Mufflex) uses all band clamps and still no leaks.
    Having the exhaust removeable make doing several jobs much easier. Just my $.02
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    hmm didn't think about red RTV...might passanger side header leaks where it meets the y-pipe...i bought them used..so they were dinged up...but even with the band clamp it still leaks ..its getting on my nerves
    I worked on a buddy's car that leaked a bit and no matter which clamp or how tight it was it would leak at the Header/Y connectiong. I used some exhaust tape "muffler repair tape" and a 3" band clamp and it sealed the leak and has been good to go for about 2 years now..
    J

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    I worked on a buddy's car that leaked a bit and no matter which clamp or how tight it was it would leak at the Header/Y connectiong. I used some exhaust tape "muffler repair tape" and a 3" band clamp and it sealed the leak and has been good to go for about 2 years now..
    J
    hmm thanks..i will have to use that when i get paid

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I got my cutout welded in and unfortunately my Y-pipe is welded to the I-pipe. I can't really think of any reason why i'd need to remove the exhaust though, can't the fuel pump be removed in other ways. I can remove the transmission just fine already...

98' trans am

yea cut out a trap door in the trunk is one way

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The shop that installed the exhaust on our Vette welded everything. I have a slight clearance issue and one muffler hangs a bit too low so I will be cutting it back apart and installing band clamps. Once an exhaust is welded in there is essentially zero adjustment and raising or lowering a strap affects the entire system.

black
    01 SS

my whole exhaust under the car is welded up, headers to the y pipe, and everything, and so far ive had the tranny out twice.. and i think im fixing to pull it out again to put a ls7 clutch kit in it.. i hate the spec clutch..

Thread Information