Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

General exhaust question

I've just been to the LS1 sounds website for some exhaust ideas and now have a question.

The many links to the different levels of exhaust note, have combinations of various manufacturers.

I might have misunderstood the site, but are different manufacturers headers, y-pipes and rear sections inter-compatible?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by SS Camaro UK View Post
    I've just been to the LS1 sounds website for some exhaust ideas and now have a question.

The many links to the different levels of exhaust note, have combinations of various manufacturers.

I might have misunderstood the site, but are different manufacturers headers, y-pipes and rear sections inter-compatible?

Cheers.
    Yes, in some cases there may be some fabbing involved, but most of it is pretty straight forward and easily interchanged.

Mine has Pacesetter headers, Texas Speed off road Y-pipe, and Mufflex catback. Sounds like a hodge podge but it actually fits very nice together.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Headers and y-pipes can be a little tricky to get right but for the most part they are compatible. I have the same setup as Firebirdjones minus the catback and it does fit pretty nicely. Some manufacturers make their own y-pipe to fit their specific header location and in those cases you're probably best going that route.
    My Texas Speed y-pipe is fairly adjustable which i like but whatever you go with could probably be modified pretty easilly to fit your particular setup.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I suggest you get the Y-pipe when you get the headers, that way you are guaranteed a fit. The Y-pipe will then connect to the stock I-pipe inlet.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

This can also make picking your exhaust setup more difficult. So many combinations, and everything affects the sound. My advice would be to do lots of research, ask questions - which will garner many opinions, and see what you want/like.

Hey thanks everyone, your opinions are most welcome

I'm gonna see if I can find the sound I want, on YouTube. I'll post my findings here for further help.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

What kind of sound are you looking for? Smooth? Loud? More of a growl?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Good luck researching the sounds over the internet. I tried that before I decided on my Hooker Aeroflow. The quality (or lack of it!) of the sounds captured on the 'net varied widely. Some mufflers are loud all the time, some are quieter at cruise/idle and sound great at WOT or accelerating. Depends if you want the whole neighborhood to hear the American pushrod V8 or just the neighbor! Also it depends on the Y-pipe, is it with convertors or not. Convertors will calm the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    What kind of sound are you looking for? Smooth? Loud? More of a growl?
    A loud growl sounds like a good option

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Good luck researching the sounds over the internet. I tried that before I decided on my Hooker Aeroflow. The quality (or lack of it!) of the sounds captured on the 'net varied widely. Some mufflers are loud all the time, some are quieter at cruise/idle and sound great at WOT or accelerating. Depends if you want the whole neighborhood to hear the American pushrod V8 or just the neighbor! Also it depends on the Y-pipe, is it with convertors or not. Convertors will calm the sound.
    I think the whole neighborhood needs to hear the sound of an un-muzzled American V8, there are so few of them in my city - it would be a treat for them, especially if it wakes them up and stops them from being late for work

I'll need a Y-pipe with cats for emissions initially, but I'll get an ORY eventually and swap them about at test time.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

One option is to consider a cutout in your I pipe, so you can be very loud when you want, then close it to be quieter. I've had this setup with an electric cutout valve for several years. With it open it just sounds incredible.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Just my input but i'm very fond of my GMMG, a lot more than my neighbors
    It's loud but not obnoxious like dumps and had a real nice growl driving around.
    I have videos but they really don't do it justice

A loud growl sounds like a good option

I think the whole neighborhood needs to hear the sound of an un-muzzled American V8, .
    Then you need the mufflex system, it sets off car alarms

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Ditto the electric cutout.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSS1 View Post
    One option is to consider a cutout in your I pipe, so you can be very loud when you want, then close it to be quieter. I've had this setup with an electric cutout valve for several years. With it open it just sounds incredible.
    do you have single or dual c/o`s ?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

DM, you had a brain fart. A cut-out in the I-pipe would be a single cut-out. I've heard some of these cut-outs, they are loud! And then you can shut it and be relatively quiet again. I did consider getting a dual electric cut-out for my ORY, but it was another $500 and I was already spending almost $1,000. Sometimes I wish I did it! Even a stock LS1 sounds pretty damn good open headers.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Someone on road heard my car and told me it sounded badass but i should get a cutout to quiet it down so i don't get tickets

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    do you have single or dual c/o`s ?
    It is single cutout, fits perfect under the passenger side back seat.

I could hardly hear my cam before, but open that valve and it rumbles like crazy at idle, and wails like a Sprint Cup car at WOT

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Cheers.
    Ive never been to England..yet ( Ill get there someday)..but ive seen it on TV and from relatives ( i have one whos married to one) etc...LOL i can imagine a snarling beasty sounding SS throttling past some of those little cars ive seen, How many American muscle cars do you see where you live?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    DM, you had a brain fart. A cut-out in the I-pipe would be a single cut-out. I've heard some of these cut-outs, they are loud! And then you can shut it and be relatively quiet again. I did consider getting a dual electric cut-out for my ORY, but it was another $500 and I was already spending almost $1,000. Sometimes I wish I did it! Even a stock LS1 sounds pretty damn good open headers.
    Oops ok you got me! Didnt see that on first glance! But yeah i am thinking on getting c/o but not sure if duals at the ends of my Y pipe would be more like open headers and flow better as opposed to a single c/o in the I pipe that has to funnel down from the Y to the I?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Someone on road heard my car and told me it sounded badass but i should get a cutout to quiet it down so i don't get tickets
    I can only imagine that being they are so straight and narrow compared to any other muffler and you have two so the flow is probably much more than going into one muffler, I gotta go to youtube and hear your video.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information