Artic White
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Fuel pump Replacement????

I know its probably already been posted at some point but im not finding it in the search so please dont bite my head off. I have a 1998 Camaro Z28 that my fuel pump has stopped working on. Im going to replace with a Racetronix fuel pump. My question is what all do i need to buy when I Order the pump? I seen something about a wiring harness do I need this and what about the sending unit does it have to be replace because the Racetronix doesnt come with one? and Im going to be doing the trap door. Thanks in advance just want to make sure I have all the stuff I will need when I start this will be my first one so I want it to go as smooth as possible. Thanks again.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

you don't have to get the wiring harness but it's a nice addition, that way the alternator feeds the pump directly so it doesn't starve for power when you step on it. As for the sending unit you will gave to reuse your old one, iirc the 98 sender is discontinued. Just be sure you order the 98 specific pump

Artic White

ok thanks for the info. also I read somewhere about reusing the stock sock because the Racetronix one isnt that great is this true?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Subscribed. I have a Racetronix pump and wiring awaiting installation in our car.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Speeddemon24_7 View Post
    ok thanks for the info. also I read somewhere about reusing the stock sock because the Racetronix one isnt that great is this true?
    I put the racetronix one in, not sure what would make the new one worse than the stock one. I'm definitely curious as to where you heard this.

Artic White

Dont remember really but remember seeing it somewhere I believe it was something about the thickness but dont hold me to this

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

I used the racetronix sock on mine and i didnt see a quality difference my stock one was ripped and dried out so i didnt have much choice. but as alex said make sure to order the 98 pump. I dont have the harness on mine and its all good, the pump installs pretty easily jsut follor the booklet they send you

Artic White

k thanks guys for the advice

Artic White

Also noticed on Racetronix website they offer a optional body ground connector to use if you use the harness is this also necessary to purchase if so I will order it as well want to do it right the first time.

Sebring Silver
    1998 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Speeddemon24_7 View Post
    Also noticed on Racetronix website they offer a optional body ground connector to use if you use the harness is this also necessary to purchase if so I will order it as well want to do it right the first time.
    Yes, Last February I replaced my 98 Z fuel pump with the Racetronix Fuel setup. 1 year and 5500 miles later. Highly recommended and very reliable. The kits instructions were very thorough and easy to understand even if your car throws you a twist. I can not stress enough getting the wiring harness along with the pump. The wiring harness will feed off of your alternator(13V-14V), instead of using the stock harness that will supply your pump with roughly 12V. Pump life will last much longer. And also get the body ground strap. It takes 5-10 seconds to install. You can not go wrong with the setup, its an upgrade and cheaper than a crappy stock pump! Only thing is to keep your tank 1/4 or higher. Theres no baffles in the 98 tanks so the pump relies on gas to cool it. Be sure to also change your fuel filter along with the new fuel pump, and the fuel socks on the Racetronix pumps are just fine I dont know who said otherwise.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I used the Racetronix sock. Good advice on replacing the fuel filter also.

silver
    2000 formula

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Never saw a problem with the race tronix sock either and insfalled quite a few of them.
    In regarss to fhe ground harness you can never over ground something but never knew of such a harness or installed one with a ground harness.

Thread Information