Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Fuel Pump?? Maybe

So I've never had a fuel pump go bad on one of my vehicles, so I just wanted to get some opinions whether or not that's what I'm dealing with. I have an '02 Z28 with 65k miles on it. The last two or three weeks it's taken a little more to start it, cranks with no problem, but I've found that I've had to prime the pump twice before it really wants to start. MAF and throttle body have both been cleaned, just changed the fuel filter the end of last summer, so I'm pretty sure it's the pump. Opinions??

If it is the pump.......what kind of pumps are you running, and how happy are you with them?? The racetronix was the first to pop up, but since this forum has never steered me wrong, I figured I'd see what everyone else is running, and how happy you are with it.

Thanks in advance!!!! Hope everyone ha d a great holiday weekend!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds exactly like what our Suburban did when the pump started getting weak 2 years ago. Throw a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and you'll see that it probably doesn't get past 45 psi or so when you first energize the ignition. Our Trans Am pump was also starting to get a little weak as well last year. I installed a stock replacement pump on the Suburban and a Racetronix pump with a hot wire kit on the Trans Am. Problems solved.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

much appreciated!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I installed a racetronix pump, this past May. My wife knew I was needing a pump and now I have an extra one for sale,if you're interested. She brought a racetronix direct from them in Canada. My car was starting just like yours, my fuel pressure was only low 50s. Now she's pegging at 60 like it should and I have full power again. I didn't use the hotwire kit, I don't think it's necessary for street cars like mine. Racetronix FPA-016A, look it up and pm me if interested.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

pretty much what everyone has said....put a gauge on it to verify your problem and then do a racetronix pump on it if you in fact need one. I will add that you need to trouble shoot it with the gauge to narrow it down to the pump or pressure regulator because those are 2 different issues. It could also be the accordion hose on your pump....it may have cracked.

Thread Information