Pewter
    1999 Camaro z28

Fuel Injection or Carb?

Right now I'm kinda stumped. I've got 1 coil pack completely out and 2 that are skipping and running low. So, Do I replace them and get my car tuned b/c I bought it with a cam in it but the guy who owned it before me never drove it or had it tuned so it runs but barely. Its a A4 and can still do 40mph wheel spins. Or should I rip all the coil packs up, get rid of the Ls6 Manifold, throw a Holly 4 Barrel with electric choke in it, something like a high rise intake, and a distributor in there for some old school muscle or stick with the Fuel Injection?

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Would you be able to throw an actual distributor on a ls1? I think either you have to keep yhe coils no?

Pewter
    1999 Camaro z28

I thought if you got rid of the coil packs and the injectors and the rails and everything you could put a distributor on and run the plugs through that but you would have to be running braided lines straight from the tank to the carb and possibly by a new high flow fuel pump because it would be a little more demanding running straight lines with no injectors

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

How do you plan on operating the distributor?

Pewter
    1999 Camaro z28

One of my friends owns his own shop and is a full time certified mechanic, he has built 3 camaros all 94-99 and has done this with each of his. I haven't exactly asked him details yet because he says it can be done quite easily so I'm assuming some1 has either shown him a little trick or he figured out a way himself. He has a 94 running no Fuel Injection running 5.9's in the 1/8th so I figured he knew his stuff. Also drags S-10's.

red
    2000 Z28

Fabbing a custom distributor drive system would be significantly more spendy than replacing the coil packs. AFAIK there are no built in provisions for a distributor drive on the LS platform.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro z28

all i needed to hear, thank's a ton tremiles. ::applauds::

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

for the ls1 they make a carb intake and a distrib plate for it so you can run with out F/I. Problem is you are an A4 so now you need a way to tell the trans to shift wich means you have to buy a controller and they run 700+ so unless you are running an Ls in an older car there is no point in doing this. Plus the fule pump would be way to much for the carb, you would have to get a regulator setup to drop the pressure down and return it to the tank. Carbs only need 10 to 20 psi and that is all in the amount the engine needs. GM sells those carb kits for the LS motors but by the time your done converting it you will have spent several thousand and a carb setup is useually only worth a few extra HP and TQ. A good tuner can make that F/I system run very good. replace the bad parts and tune it. You will love it more than a carb because it dosen't need adjusting once it is setup.

Thread Information