Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

FTRA installed yesterday

Finally got it in the mail on wednesday, and installed it last night..

Took me about 5 hours to get it fully installed and sealed up correctly, and I can't imagine it being possible installing on your own (had my dad help), but it is a very nice system once it's in!

Noticeable difference too.. I notice a lot more top end power at higher speeds. With just a SLP Lid, SFC's, and the FTRA I'm able to chirp the tires in 3rd gear now.. even more fun

Overall it's a great system, just some parts were very longgg on installing

Pewter
    02 Z28

cool sounds like the mod is worth it
    2002 Z28 Auto (3.23 gears)
    Mods
    Lid, UD pulley, Shift Kit, 160 Thermo, Y-pipe, Panhard, TB bypass, Bellow, K&N, Strut Brace, Flowmaster, weight reduction.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

yeah it is i like it, i'm sure it will improve everything down the road too.

NBM
    98 trans am

sorry, but whats FTRA?

White/Silver
    1989 GTA 98 GTP coupe

Fast Toys Ram Air

I loved mine when I have my Z.
    -98 GTP Coupe. Silvermist and stock.

-89 GTA*** L98, P1-SC, 24# SVO's, MSD 6-A, March underdrive pulleys, Edelbrock headers/catback and some other goodies.

~Tony

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

If you just have a SLP lid how much will you gain by goin with the FTRA?

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

well I have the SLP lid and the FTRA..

installuniversity.com did a review on the FTRA system and i wanna say they gained like 18 something horsepower or something, it was a lot though. I like it

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    well I have the SLP lid and the FTRA..

installuniversity.com did a review on the FTRA system and i wanna say they gained like 18 something horsepower or something, it was a lot though. I like it
    Ram air doesn't work on a dyno, how could you test it?

Honestly though, you aren't gonna get that kind of HP out of boltons outside of headers. If you have a lid already, I'd be skeptical of a claim over 5. If you are looking for worthwile boltons, go in this order: headers, ls6 intake, UD pulley, ported TB.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

ive neem told by many people if you already have the lid its not worth the money to go buy a ram air system but just checkin thanks

NBM
    1999 Hardtop Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Ram air doesn't work on a dyno, how could you test it?

Honestly though, you aren't gonna get that kind of HP out of boltons outside of headers. If you have a lid already, I'd be skeptical of a claim over 5. If you are looking for worthwile boltons, go in this order: headers, ls6 intake, UD pulley, ported TB.
    i would like to know how they dynoed ram air on a non moving car...congrats on the install though. welcome to the modding world! it only gets more expensive and addicting

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Sorry, nothing on that page that you linked in even mentions it (hope you aren't looking for me to dig it up, seeing as how you posted the link). I guess if the buyer believes it and is happy that's all that matters. I like on FT's site how they claim a 60'-dependent 0.1-0.2 reduction in ET rather than citing a MPH, which could show a gain from their part. Citing ET is worthless with no MPH increase. "CAIs or FIPKs" are always promoted as big gain parts, kinda like K&N's filters, which incidentally on 3 cars back to back were worth nothing on the dyno over a new paper filter.

I'm not trying to be ugly or to give you a hard time over your cold air kit, just hate to think that money that could go towards headers or something.... anyway, sorry for the jack, enjoy.

Navy blue Metallic
    2002 trans am

I don't know that much on the subject either. I do remember reading an article somewhere (possibly from installuniversity) where they used a large industrial type fan in conjunction with the dyno to show gains from the FTRA since you cant dyno something like that under normal circumstances... I wish I could remember where I saw that article. Has anyone else ever heard of it?

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Sorry, nothing on that page that you linked in even mentions it (hope you aren't looking for me to dig it up, seeing as how you posted the link). I guess if the buyer believes it and is happy that's all that matters. I like on FT's site how they claim a 60'-dependent 0.1-0.2 reduction in ET rather than citing a MPH, which could show a gain from their part. Citing ET is worthless with no MPH increase. "CAIs or FIPKs" are always promoted as big gain parts, kinda like K&N's filters, which incidentally on 3 cars back to back were worth nothing on the dyno over a new paper filter.

I'm not trying to be ugly or to give you a hard time over your cold air kit, just hate to think that money that could go towards headers or something.... anyway, sorry for the jack, enjoy.
    I couldn't get the direct link because it only gives you the homepage.. You click on Tech Articles on the left and then click on FTRA article.

Here's what they said....

"The test runs were made in the first three gears of a six-speed LS1. That puts the LS1 rifling along at 100 mph plus at the end of the test run, just like at the nearest quarter-mile drag way. In first gear, the VE showed no gain. During second gear, an increase of 0.9 percent was shown over the stock configuration. Third gear showed the exact same increase over the stock configuration. A 0.9 percent increase in volumetric efficiency stuffs an extra 31 cubic inches of air into the engine.

A 0.9 percent increase doesn’t sound that great. A typical LS1 with ported heads, cam, headers, etc., will gain a seven percent increase in VE (100 horsepower). This is very important to note. Assuming that the VE is directly related to the amount of horsepower added (on a natural aspirated LS1), a 1% increase results in a 10 – 15 horsepower gain"

Oh and yes I realize headers will be a bigger gain, they are also 600 + $ more. That being said I am ordering QTP Headers, and Magnaflow mufflers this upcoming week and getting an X pipe installed from a local shop around here. You need air in AND out to get the most out of everything.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

and no i never said they tested it on a dyno. I just said they showed a HP increase, never said on a dyno

White/Silver
    1989 GTA 98 GTP coupe

Quote Originally Posted by gable2000ta View Post
    ive neem told by many people if you already have the lid its not worth the money to go buy a ram air system but just checkin thanks
    Whoever told you that is clueless. Ram air has nothing to do with the lid itself. At least not when discussing systems like the FTRA.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

yeah idk how a lid would be the same as FTRA.. what the FTRA set up does is get the air INTO the car in the first place. THEN it goes through the filter and through the lid.

You would need both to get the most out of either of them i think. Having one or the other seems like only having half of a CAI system to me.

Otherwise you have a good flowing lid but you're not drawing in anymore air than a stock set up.

If you go the other way, and get a CAI kit, you'll be pulling in more air, but you'll be trying to flow it through a more restrictive lid.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Oh and yes I realize headers will be a bigger gain, they are also 600 + $ more. That being said I am ordering QTP Headers, and Magnaflow mufflers this upcoming week and getting an X pipe installed from a local shop around here. You need air in AND out to get the most out of everything.

They don't have to be 600... Check out this thread; I tuned this car and finally had a chance to see these OBX eBay stainless headers in person and I was suprisingly very impressed. Here is a thread she made, and if you scroll down about 3-4 posts, she has a picture of what she got for her $; pretty incredible. http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69358

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Whoever told you that is clueless. Ram air has nothing to do with the lid itself. At least not when discussing systems like the FTRA.

Those people are not saying that a lid is ram air just that adding ram air doesn't add much hp if you already have a lid and they are right. No way you are gaining 15hp with the FTRA system.

Oh and those headers have quality and fit issues. Spend the money on quality headers you won't be disappointed.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Yep, you're right. Installuniversity has no clue what they are talking about.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information