Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

Free ram air sucks

OK I just feel compelled to post my personal experience with the free ram air mod on the camaro. You know, the one where you cut out the bottom of the airbox and whatnot. Well, I tried it a while back, did some runs at the track. My intake air temps went from outside temp, to over 100*. Maybe at high speed this works, but around town it just allows the hot air from the radiator and AC condenser to heat soak your intake. That plastic is there for a reason. I duct taped it off and the temps went right back down to normal and It made a significant difference. I can't remember the exact track times since this was over a year ago, but it was a tenth or more in the quarter. I just wanted to let everyone know that this mod should be thought out before attempted, since I don't think it's as beneficial as everyone thinks.

fyi: this was on a 2000 A4 SS with longtubes, ls6 intake, SLP lid and maf.

I've read it takes about 1/2 mile of driving to get the temp to drop, same as the SS hood stock, It is a heat soak untill your rollin. Do yourself ( your car) a favor, get a FTRA.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

yah, i can see it helping a tad when rolling, but at the track... it just kills ya. I was looking for all the free mods for the new Z28... lets just say the intake situation on my SS is allll taken care of. I'll probably end up making a custom cold air intake for the Z though. i'll post pics somewhere after its done.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by TwiSSter418 View Post
    yah, i can see it helping a tad when rolling, but at the track... it just kills ya. I was looking for all the free mods for the new Z28... lets just say the intake situation on my SS is allll taken care of. I'll probably end up making a custom cold air intake for the Z though. i'll post pics somewhere after its done.
    id love to see the custom cai, i was thinkin about doin it to my rs but then decided not to bother fuckin with it. whatever i buy next tho i probably will

Black
    2002 camaro z-28

when i did mine ...i cut the bottom and i took off the plastic thats in front of the radiator that goes down to the bumper...do that it made a big difference on mine

ME!!

LPM
    01 Z28

you can tell it opens it up and lets it breath. my exhaust sounds a whole lot louder and diff since i did mine.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

It works best with a cold air duct in there...like Fast Toys and Slp's version. You actually have to do the FRA mod to install them.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

yah I can see the actual ducting working.. i was referring to the free mod that all the noobs do that just involves cutting the bottom out of the air box...

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

Quote Originally Posted by TwiSSter418 View Post
    OK I just feel compelled to post my personal experience with the free ram air mod on the camaro. You know, the one where you cut out the bottom of the airbox and whatnot. Well, I tried it a while back, did some runs at the track. My intake air temps went from outside temp, to over 100*. Maybe at high speed this works, but around town it just allows the hot air from the radiator and AC condenser to heat soak your intake. That plastic is there for a reason. I duct taped it off and the temps went right back down to normal and It made a significant difference. I can't remember the exact track times since this was over a year ago, but it was a tenth or more in the quarter. I just wanted to let everyone know that this mod should be thought out before attempted, since I don't think it's as beneficial as everyone thinks.

fyi: this was on a 2000 A4 SS with longtubes, ls6 intake, SLP lid and maf.
    might wanna keep an eye on the duct tape on the bottom cuz it can suck up against the filter blocking the air from getting through... happened to a friend and he lost all power in egine and had to take tape out

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Yea, the tape was just a temperary fix so she could get her IAT's back down were they are supposed to be while she was at the track... she replaced it shortly after with a D-1SC.

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkerfluid View Post
    Yea, the tape was just a temperary fix so she could get her IAT's back down were they are supposed to be while she was at the track... she replaced it shortly after with a D-1SC.
    that will do the trick

Thread Information