Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Ram Air

Black
    99 Camaro SS

Free Ram Air

I have a question about free ram air mods. I have a SS, which already has a "cold air intake," will cutting out the bottom of the air box help me, or hurt me?

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

What "cold air intake" do you have that doesn't already have the bottom of the airbox cut out?

See this for pics of a SLP CAI

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98311

Black
    99 Camaro SS

Sorry, I mean the original SS hood that forces air in.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

That's what I thought you meant.

I don't think it would hurt anything. Could help with air flow.

Some people seem to think that air coming in from two different directions will cancel each other out, but I think that's a bunch of bull.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 99SS#20 View Post
    Sorry, I mean the original SS hood that forces air in.
    one of my friends has one. look at the "ram air" hood really good. he had a plate in the duct that had to be removed to make it functional

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post

Some people seem to think that air coming in from two different directions will cancel each other out, but I think that's a bunch of bull.
    +1 i agree just make sure all of the air you have coming in runs throught the filter

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

you dont want turbulence in your air flow...two streams of air getting sucked into one location from two different directions will collide..take that with a grain of salt considering that i dont know how much of a problem that would cause in this situation

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    one of my friends has one. look at the "ram air" hood really good. he had a plate in the duct that had to be removed to make it functional
    He's talking about doing the free ram air mod. See link below, page 3, for what I did.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49202

hugger orange

He's talking about doing the free ram air mod. See link below, page 3, for what I did.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49202
    oh ok i see what your talking about now.....i was thinking different lol

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

It's cool.

Does the SS hood have a rain baffle like the WS6 ones?

If so, he could remove that also.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I wouldn't bother cutting the bottom of the airbox unless your getting the Fast Toys Ram Air or similar kit.

black
    1999 ws6

I think that it is worth it...i have owned three ls1's and never had a problem..raced my bro without the cut out and noticed a difference, nothing big but still a difference in power

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Some people seem to think that air coming in from two different directions will cancel each other out
    ??...........Has anyone actually proved this theory?

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Think of it this way guys The engine is an Air pump and any air in front of the filter under WOT will be sucked in. The Free Ram Air mod is designed to get additional cool air to engine Not force it in which only the ducted systems will do. Turbulence out side the filter is meaningless so regardless if the Air streams are colliding, if there is Cool Air in the air box the engine will draw it in.
    I have a debaffled R/A Hood with the stock (Non WS6) Lower Airbox and the FRA Mod. I've has it this way for over 9 yrs and never had any problems.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Quote Originally Posted by fxgs View Post
    ??...........Has anyone actually proved this theory?
    I did. It's been discussed several times but without the people from this board actually being present at the track then typing this does nothing to the naysayers.

But anyway,,,,I have a pair of SS's and have done the free ram air mod on both. I have experimented at the track with one of them. Found it very beneficial so I immediately performed the mod on my wifes SS.

It's easy to experiment at the track,,,which is the only real way to find out. A dyno will do virtually nothing as a comparison.

You can easily tape off one of the intake passages and force the engine to accept air from only one. Doing this showed me similar results in ET and MPH but opening both at the same time the car instantly picks up about 1 mph and a solid tenth.

So yes,,,with my experience the air clashing theory is just that,,,,,a theory.

I would recommend to anyone to perform the mod and bring along a roll of masking tape to the track. Try it for yourself.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I did. It's been discussed several times but without the people from this board actually being present at the track then typing this does nothing to the naysayers.

But anyway,,,,I have a pair of SS's and have done the free ram air mod on both. I have experimented at the track with one of them. Found it very beneficial so I immediately performed the mod on my wifes SS.

It's easy to experiment at the track,,,which is the only real way to find out. A dyno will do virtually nothing as a comparison.

You can easily tape off one of the intake passages and force the engine to accept air from only one. Doing this showed me similar results in ET and MPH but opening both at the same time the car instantly picks up about 1 mph and a solid tenth.

I would recommend to anyone to perform the mod and bring along a roll of masking tape to the track. Try it for yourself.
    I do remember seeing threads on this before and I am in complete agreement with you.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

I respect your knowledge on the subject and your experiment proves the theory is just a theory...............you have presented us with fact.

Wow such kind words. Many thanks.

I don't by any means consider myself knowledgable,,,I just got out there and experimented,,,thats all. Very easy mod that costs nothing,,and it's even easier to tape one off at the track and see what happens.

In any event, I appreciate it. Cheers, Larry.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    I do remember seeing threads on this before and I am in complete agreement with you.
    Wow such kind words. Many thanks.

I don't by any means consider myself knowledgable,,,I just got out there and experimented,,,thats all. Very easy mod that costs nothing,,and it's even easier to tape one off at the track and see what happens.

In any event, I appreciate it. Cheers, Larry.
    i think both of you guys are very knowledgeable...i take your guys word for it.

NBM
    1998 Z-28

I'm thinking of doing the free ram air mod, I am just slightly worried about water possibly getting up into the filter. I daily drive my car all year and would hate to hydrolock my car. I doubt that could happen, but I'm curious what your guys experiences are.

Thread Information