Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

Fram Oil Filter?

Alright, this question may seem ridiculous, but some car enthusiast once told me that the Fram oil filter for F-body's is bad. This kind of scared me, because that’s what I am currently running in my car. So is there any truth to this statement at all, or is this guy just a moron? And on that note, when running synthetic oil (Mobile 1) is it necessary or beneficial to run a synthetic oil filter?

GM Service Advisor

Black
    2002 Pontiac T/A Firehawk

He told you that because in most every oil filter study Fram filters are always among the worse, if not THE worse oil filter that money can buy. Without getting to deep into it, OEM filters are better than most.

More info at Bob'stheoilguy.com

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

run from FRAM, run from FRAM now, as fast as you can!!! no, dont look back, keep running...

infact run from everything FRAM in general, oh god, i hope this gets to you in time...

FRAM Oil Filters are horrible. if anyone thinks about using them why dont you crumple up a piece of paper and use that as a filter instead. particle stoppage and flow through FRAM filters are horrible. i do not reccommend at all.
    Last edited by SSwt00SS; 05-10-2006 at 10:38 AM.
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Red
    02 Z28 Camaro

Back in the day (whenever that was) supposedly fram stuff was top notch, but nowadays they are the worst. Get an ACdelco oil filter, your motor will thankyou

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Why is it this seems like a recent deal? I've been reading and hearing about Fram being junk a lot lately. I've used them my whole life and always thought they were fine...until recently. It seems like a lot more people that are smarter than me are saying Fram sucks. My last filter I bought was an ac/delco so I guess I'll keep it that way but it just seems weird how much I've been hearing this lately.

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

Wow, I def. need to get that fram outta there. But do u think it is bad to the point that i need to pull it out before my next oil change. I have about 2000 more miles left to go before my next change, and i do not really drive that often. Should i just change the filter now, and replace the oil that came out of the filter, or would it be "ok" just to finish up this round of 3000? (and then never look back to Fram ever)

GM Service Advisor

Black

Well, it's like this...when I was working for a Mazda Dealer as a Service Manager, we got a bulletin that said " don't ever use a Fram filter,...if an engine failed of a lubrication problem and it was found to have a Fram filter, the warranty claim would be denied"...This was back in the eqrly 90's.

That was the 1st time I had ever heard anything bad about an oil filter of any kind.

blue
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Fram used to be a good filter but things change. Now there a price point in Wal-Mart. Here is a site that might help you decide.

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html

White/Silver
    1989 GTA 98 GTP coupe

What they all said.

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

Man this is why I love this place because I have the FRAM I thought it was top notch due to the grip the put on the filter heh heh... Out mine comes as well. It would be interesting to get a representative from Fram on here to see what they have to say. And an expert at that not some corporate sales person who responds the same way to every complaint about there product. I'd like to get them "involved" without having them just have a lawyer who says cease and desist all conversation bashing our product.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Fram filter....bottom of the list.

I use ACDelco filters on both my GM cars.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Fram? Oh, wait....just seeing that name makes me

blue
    01 trans am

NAPA gold made by wix! Or ACDelco! Fram looks like toliet paper inside cut one open and put it in the bathroom.

Arctic White
    2001 Camaro SS

Fram is FTL. Get the Delco.

Go to the Bobistheoilguy web site & learn all you need to know about oil, filters,...etc.. Many of us use the long k&n hp2006 oil filters with great success. Others mentioned above (not Fram) have also tested well. I hear that in Texas, using a Fram oil filter is punishable by castration.
    Last edited by LS1-450; 05-21-2006 at 09:34 PM.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

AC Delco factory filters are good. Personally, I use a K&N and sleep better at night. I pay about $15.00 for the K&N. FRAM internals have cardboard peices where most other filters are metal. It's been said the cardboard sometimes comes apart. Why take the chance with an investment like your car? Def run from FRAM products.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

AC Delco 44 and 46 filters

Just changed my oil for the first time in a 99 Z. I used Mobil 1 Syn 5w30 and an AC Delco Duraguard filter. Just got my shop manuals and it says use an AC (PH? I can't remember the alphas as I write this) "44", but in the parts store catalog it was a "46". I bought the AC Delco 46 and it seems to be correct. Fit fine, no leaks. Just curious if the 44 is OEM (Chevy dealers) and 46 is aftermarket stores.

Does anyone know the difference between the 44 and 46 and if it is anything with some filter upgrade or what? I certainly realize the correct filter has to be used, but the Auto Zone book did say a 46 for a 1999 5.7 Camaro.

Just curious.

John

P.S. It is SO much easier to change the oil on the LS1 than a 94 4.6 Thunderbird!!! I think Ford put in overtime to make that oil filter as difficult as possible to deal with.
    Last edited by jad628; 05-22-2006 at 03:32 AM.

GM Service Advisor

Black

PF-44 is the number. I know also the PF 58 and a PF 59 will work(longer). I don't know what a 46 fits.
    Last edited by HAWKNYU; 05-22-2006 at 07:12 AM.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by HAWKNYU
    PF-44 is the number. I know also the PF 58 and a PF 59 will work(longer). I don't know what a 46 fits.
    Thanks for the info. Well I can tell you that an AC Delco Duraguard PF46 does indeed work with the LS1 in a 1999 Z. It had a Carquest ?? 4006 in it, and the two filters were identical to my eye.

It works fine and it is the catalog'ed number. I don't think Auto Zone stocks the PF44.

John

Arctic White
    2001 Camaro SS

Ive been using the PF46 for a while now

Thread Information