Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1993 Firebird Formula

Flowmaster and Header Sound

I have only seen 4 people post a comment on what Flowmasters and LT Headers/OFY sound like. 2 people said they liked it, and 2 didn't (one siting it was a noisy racket). Anyway, I ask this as I am thinking about adding some LT headers and an OFY to my flow 80series catback. I love the sound of the muffler, but I would like it a little louder and deeper. I am big fan of the burble of said chambered mufflers and don't really want to give it up. So, I am just wondering what LT headers and OFY will do to the sound.

Steve

hugger orange

LT's and or-y will flow a lot better so should increase the volume of the exhaust note.
    I have LT's with 3" duals on my goat. I used summit bullet muffler off the headers as resonators, then right off of them a set of flowmaster super 44's.
    it sounds almost stock at idle and steadily sound increases till loud as hell at 3000 rpms and higher....i love it

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Yeah I think it LT's will give you what you are asking for.

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    LT's and or-y will flow a lot better so should increase the volume of the exhaust note.
    I have LT's with 3" duals on my goat. I used summit bullet muffler off the headers as resonators, then right off of them a set of flowmaster super 44's.
    it sounds almost stock at idle and steadily sound increases till loud as hell at 3000 rpms and higher....i love it
    Do you have a sound clip of that set up I would love to hear it

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by KING Z28 HAWK View Post
    Do you have a sound clip of that set up I would love to hear it
    lol I wish I would have a clip for you but don't know how post one or even have anything to record it

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

www.ls1sounds.com may have some sound clips

navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

I just added Pacestter lts to my Flowmaster 80 series and it sounded KILLER w/the stock stuff but it sounds really good now too though..just not as good. I put a catted y pipe in though. I think Im gonna leave it though cause the magnaflo may flow better but I dont like the deep rumble as much as a "pop"

Black
    1993 Firebird Formula

Could you give me a little bit more info sic2001. What did you mean by it sounds killer with the stock stuff but its sounds really good now too? What was the difference between what you had for stock and after? Are you saying the difference between liking it and not liking it as much was the cats you added? What magnaflo are you taking about (catback/cats/other?)

Thanks!

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

I had pacestters LT on my flowmaster, and I loved the way it sounded. It turned heads of other LS1 car owners, and the pootytang owners. But who cares about them.

navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

The flowmaster sounds great with stock manifolds and cats, got compliments every day butits restrictive but.... now it sounds good, Im getting used to it so I may leave it and see if something comes along better now.

Black
    1993 Firebird Formula

sic2001: did you notice an increase in power after adding the headers and y-pipe? What don't you like about the new setup? Additional rasp? Sounds more like a truck? Something else? (thanks for your replies btw!)

I noticed after listening to all of the flowmaster sounds on LS1Sounds, the cars with cams in them I found to be worse sounding then stock...so I am going to stay away from cams for a while.

Magnaflows, Corsa, B&B, etc sound too 'exotic' for me....I like the more 'classic' muscle car sound.

Anyway, since the replies still add up to 50/50 between like the sound and not like the sound, I am probably just going to take the plunge and spend my stimlus check on pacesetter LTs and Y-Pipe. If I end up not liking it, perhaps hooker/borla resonated tips might improve the sound.

Any opinions on this last aspect (resonated tips)?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I installed my LT headers and ORY when I still had my Flowmaster catback. It sounded great, tons better than it ever sounded with the stock manifolds and cats. It wasn't overly loud, but it definitely had presence.

Since then I had a true dual exhaust system installed with Magnaflow mufflers. Much louder and more power. However, like you said, it does have an exotic sound to it, different from the flowmaster exhaust note.

navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

I guess it does have a old school sound to it but I have a mild cam too. I noticed alot of power, my dyno #s went from 300-369 from headers and air delete and tune. It was running shitty before though.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by sic2001 View Post
    The flowmaster sounds great with stock manifolds and cats, got compliments every day butits restrictive but.... now it sounds good, Im getting used to it so I may leave it and see if something comes along better now.
    the 80's are alittle more restrictive than the 40's , the super 44's flow alot better but give you more interior noise...thats why i used the 3" bullet mufflers for resonators off the headers

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Shudson105 View Post
    sic2001: did you notice an increase in power after adding the headers and y-pipe? What don't you like about the new setup? Additional rasp? Sounds more like a truck? Something else? (thanks for your replies btw!)

I noticed after listening to all of the flowmaster sounds on LS1Sounds, the cars with cams in them I found to be worse sounding then stock...so I am going to stay away from cams for a while.

Magnaflows, Corsa, B&B, etc sound too 'exotic' for me....I like the more 'classic' muscle car sound.

Anyway, since the replies still add up to 50/50 between like the sound and not like the sound, I am probably just going to take the plunge and spend my stimlus check on pacesetter LTs and Y-Pipe. If I end up not liking it, perhaps hooker/borla resonated tips might improve the sound.

Any opinions on this last aspect (resonated tips)?
    if you go with a quality resonated tip they can change your tone quiet a bit

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Shudson105 are you surgetron1337 on youtube?

Black
    1993 Firebird Formula

Hutch1999: nope, not me. Although you might be able to see my car if you search for my name on these boards and look under the 'black firebirds unite' thread.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

in that case my car has Lts, ORY, no cats, and a Flowmaster

heres the vids

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by sic2001 View Post
    If you think you like the sound now you might be evn happier with duals going from the 80 series to the 44's......alot better flowing and alot louder

hugger orange

so how do I get a sound clip of my car on here?..... I mean from the start....I have a video camera with rca out but I have no clue what to do after I tape it.....lol

Thread Information