Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Flowmaster 80 Series question

Ok... I just purchased the Flowmaster 80 Series muffler for my 98 Trans Am and Ive noticed the negative comments about flowmasters on these cars after I bought it.. I havent put the muffler on the car yet but my question is will the flowmaster flow better than the dead stock exhaust setup? I know its louder but I want to know if it will flow better than a stock muffler or is it worse... I know other mufflers like magnaflow will flow better than the flowmaster but since ive already purchased the muffler, ill go on and put it on if its better than the stock muffler.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

I have flowmasters on my 71 SS elcamino and absolutely hate them. Very loud and they resonate badly on the highway. My buddy who used to work in the muffler business warned me and I didn't listen. He said he took more off of cars than he ever put on.
    My camaro I put Borla on and I couldn't be any happier. Sounds great and it doesn't bother me going down the highway.
    My 2004 F-150 I have duel Magnaflow's (Which my mufller buddy recomended) and I really like them on there. Great sound, not too loud but you can diffenately hear them.
    In summory, Go with Borla or Magnaflow. DUMP YOUR FLOWMASTERS!!!!
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by 79JON View Post
    Ok... I just purchased the Flowmaster 80 Series muffler for my 98 Trans Am and Ive noticed the negative comments about flowmasters on these cars after I bought it.. I havent put the muffler on the car yet but my question is will the flowmaster flow better than the dead stock exhaust setup? I know its louder but I want to know if it will flow better than a stock muffler or is it worse... I know other mufflers like magnaflow will flow better than the flowmaster but since ive already purchased the muffler, ill go on and put it on if its better than the stock muffler.
    I guess they would flow better than stock.I had them on my 77 Camaro and hated them, I would have taken them off the same day if I had not spent so much to have them put on. In my book Flowmasters are no more than Noise-Masters.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

"Free air in and Out"

I don't know if they will flow better than stock but I would think no worse than. An internal combustion engine is at it best with "free air in and out" given the limitations of the body it is placed in. That is why there are so many air intake widgets and different exhaust systems. I don't see a signature but IMO you will be okay until engine mods get heavy...it has to breathe.
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

The Flowmaster definnitly flow better than stock. If you like the sound, then keep it.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

I have it. And whenever I'm on these forums I feel ashamed.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

I Had Them

I had them on a 1989 Mustang LX 5.0 and it flat screamed. The motor was completly rebuilt by a professional speed shop and put down 385 RWHP. They never mentioned any problems with a Flow Master Sys. (but it was a ford!) To each their own. I wanted good flow but not the raspy crackling sound of a LM. I do however value the opinion of the seasoned owners on this forum. I research...research some more on the web, coupled with the advice here and make my own call.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

i had the 80 series and did not like it. i have a magnaflow now and love it. i would look into returning it and gettin something else

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

i gained 7 rwhp back when i had the fm80.
    i love the sound of that muffler on otherwise stock piping
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

White
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

This morning I went on and got it installed. I am very happy with it. Its sounds great... deep rumble and I can definetly feel a difference in the throttle response. My main goal was to make it louder, flow better than stock, and not cost me an arm and leg.

White with Hugger Stripes
    1997 30th Anniversary SS

Quote Originally Posted by 89LX View Post
    I had them on a 1989 Mustang LX 5.0 and it flat screamed. The motor was completly rebuilt by a professional speed shop and put down 385 RWHP. They never mentioned any problems with a Flow Master Sys. (but it was a ford!) To each their own. I wanted good flow but not the raspy crackling sound of a LM. I do however value the opinion of the seasoned owners on this forum. I research...research some more on the web, coupled with the advice here and make my own call.
    I've always loved the sound of a pair of two chambers on an old school 5.0. Up until today I still smile when I hear one go by.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I had the FM80 on my car years ago with the stock manifolds and cats and thought it was too quiet. My friend had an LT1 with it and it sounded bad#ss! Iwas definately disappointed. Switched to Borla and

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I had the FM80 on my car years ago with the stock manifolds and cats and thought it was too quiet. My friend had an LT1 with it and it sounded bad#ss! Iwas definately disappointed. Switched to Borla and
    the difference in sound from the LT1 car to LS1 is case of the change from a cast iron block to an all aluminum block and changing the firing order of the cylinders as well...

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Even, The Bullrun Trans Am ran the Flowmaster with all the Mods that car had. Even know there are other Mufflers better than the flowmaster if you like the sound then keep it. Thats how I choose my Exhausts. My old 79 I Run Flowmaster 40's. The LT1 MagnaFlow it gets, and the LS1 gets Hooker.

My car had one on it when I bought it, and it was a good sound, but a little too droney and loud for me. I went with the Magnaflow catback, and its perfect. Loud when I want it, silent when I want it.

NAVY BLUE METALLIC
    1999 FORMULA M6 HARD TOP

Hey Guys,
    My 99 Formula came with a hooker exaust, It was a little too quiet for me. So I opted to use a muffler eliminator from ebay, but it still did not have that muscle car tone. I had a 80 series Flowmaster in my garage and put that one on today. After an spirited test drive, I was happy I had the deep muscle tone at WOT and low noise during cruising. I think once I get my Hi-flow Cats (or degut them) it will sound meaner. Actually i feels better with the flowmaster than it did with the hooker muffler. Maybe because my car is almost stock
    Last edited by knight721; 02-14-2009 at 03:37 PM. Reason: misspell

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    The Flowmaster definnitly flow better than stock. If you like the sound, then keep it.
    i wnet with the 40 series and right off the headers ran a set of 3" bullet mufflers (like resonators). they really mellowed the tone down os i dont get near as much drone as i did with just the 40's......i dont see why that wouldnt work with the 80 series too

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by WICKED LS1 View Post
    I've always loved the sound of a pair of two chambers on an old school 5.0. Up until today I still smile when I hear one go by.
    your right, i think the good "hollow" sound the mustangs have is the sweetest tone ever

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

I have a Flowmaster Super 40 on my z/28. From what I've read and heard the "40" series mufflers are the loudest compared to other Flowmasters.

To be honest, I'm not going to think my car is loud enough until I have dumped TD's, but it is pretty loud. I've got nothing but compliments on the way my car sounds.

FYI-I have stock manifolds with no cats.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

I put one on my car the second day I owned it. My first thing done to the car. It made it sound good but i didn't notice any gain but I just wanted the sound so i think it was worth it.

Thread Information