Burgandy
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

First bolt on headers and full exauhst help!

I just bought my 2000 trans am yeusterday and want to get it into the shop for full exhaust work. I want to buy pacesetter long tube headers, off road y-pipe, no cats, and loudmouth 2 muffler. I just wanted to make sure if I buy all of these parts off slp.com will the shop need anything else for installation? Or will it all be there. Also does anyone know if the slp airbox does anyhting worth buying same with the slp smooth below? I have k&n intake do i really need a box or anything? Please let me know the earlier I get some feed back the sooner I can overnight all the parts

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

You won't get all the parts from SLP.

You need to check if you will need 02 extensions for the Pacesetters

Don't know what kind of K&N you have - just the filter?

The smooth elbow is too expensive for what it is.

You should get it tuned after headers to take advantage of the increased flow.

red
    99 camaro

Go with a diff muffler or your gonna hate it... Dont say you werent warned...

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JRENIGAR View Post
    Go with a diff muffler or your gonna hate it... Dont say you werent warned...
    Why would he hate it? There are much worse sounding mufflers/resonators available.

Burgandy
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

I have listned to countless sound bites of exhaust's and I found this setup a guy was running and it sounded ridiculous exactly what I wanted! I thought I might need a 02 extension and does anyone know about the paper gasket that come with the pacesetter headers someone told me I need better ones from gm perhaps?

2002 Camaro Z28

Lots of people complain about the loudmouth with LT's, lots of rasp. Do what you want though, I would recommend magnaflow but if you want louder than go louder. You will need extensions for the o2's. Get the plug in ones, not just the wires to splice in. I went with the gm gaskets, seem to work good. I bought all my stuff through texas speed, you can order the gm gaskets, extensions and whichever y pipe you want, I would recommend the texas speed y pipe over the pacesetter one. Also I would think about getting the non emissions headers if you are going catless you can ditch the air pump and don't need block off plates for the headers.
    Junkyard bought and "refurbished" 2002 Camaro Z28 - Pacetter Race LT's, TS&P ORY, Frost tune, Magnaflow, Ported TB, SLP Lid, Circle D 3000, 3.73's, SFC's.
    2009 Silverado Z71 - Magnaflow
    2008 Impala LTZ - Wife didn't want the V8 SS!

black
    1999 camaro SS

if you have a set of Jack stands, basic hand tools, and a sawsall do not... I repeat DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY AT A SHOP to do something that is so easy. clamp that shit up with some good band clamps and call it a day or better yet get some cheap ass u blot clamps to hold it up and drive it to the exhaust shop and have them do the welds.

Burgandy
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

I don't mind doing the install as long as it is within my means, but I don't want to get in over my head mid install, does anyone have a step by step or instructional with pics to guide me so I can decide if it is gonna be do-able

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

Not sure about a step-by-step, but if you're decent with a wrench you shouldn't get in over your head. The important thing to know is, the higher you get the front of the car, the easier the headers will go in. You'll need to be able to angle them 45 degrees or more to fit in. I would recommend pulling the intermediate shaft. Just make sure you lock your column first, and don't move the front tires.

As for the LT/LM combo. It was too much for me, and my car is strictly a toy. It's so loud you can't enjoy it. Don't forget, when you listen to clips online, you're not getting the full sound or decibel level. This is mine before I added some shorty mufflers to quiet it down. It will sound good in the clip, but in real life it actually hurt my ears.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rueSelT6Tc[/ame]

black
    1999 camaro SS

it only sounds super loud when your punching it. while your cruising it sounds bareable

Red

Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    it only sounds super loud when your punching it. while your cruising it sounds bareable
    "Sounds" bareable. That's what I was saying about the video's. When cruising at 2000 rpm's, you have to yell hear each other in the car. When you get on it, it makes your eyeballs rattle.

black
    1999 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by MrKid View Post
    "Sounds" bareable. That's what I was saying about the video's. When cruising at 2000 rpm's, you have to yell hear each other in the car. When you get on it, it makes your eyeballs rattle.
    that's awesome!!! if your not setting off car alarms then it isn't loud enough lol

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Loudmouth and longtubes are just stupid loud. Every trans am in my town that has longtubes has the loudmouth and its fucking crazy. I LOVE IT!!!
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

RED (M6)
    2001 Camaro SS 13.39@106

Quote Originally Posted by bouttime View Post
    I just bought my 2000 trans am yeusterday and want to get it into the shop for full exhaust work. I want to buy pacesetter long tube headers, off road y-pipe, no cats, and loudmouth 2 muffler. I just wanted to make sure if I buy all of these parts off slp.com will the shop need anything else for installation? Or will it all be there. Also does anyone know if the slp airbox does anyhting worth buying same with the slp smooth below? I have k&n intake do i really need a box or anything? Please let me know the earlier I get some feed back the sooner I can overnight all the parts
    The SLP air box IMO is a good deal. It is however the only SLP item I have installed. As far as the smooth bellows,... I got one on Ebay for $10.00 so I like it for apperance but would NOT pay the $50-$60 that I have seen some going for.

Red

that's awesome!!! if your not setting off car alarms then it isn't loud enough lol
    It set off alarms at idle if that helps describe it.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

My headers/ory/lm1 used to set off car alarms. It was LOUD!!! Too raspy for me but I kept it on.

Now im even louder but the rasp is all but gone.

For doing the work yourself if you have common sense, patience, basic skills around cars, and basic tools you will be fine!

My first mods were full exhaust. It was not hard at all well worth doing it and I get a good feeling knowing I did the work.

If you run into snags you can always post up!

black
    1999 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    My headers/ory/lm1 used to set off car alarms. It was LOUD!!! Too raspy for me but I kept it on.

Now im even louder but the rasp is all but gone.

For doing the work yourself if you have common sense, patience, basic skills around cars, and basic tools you will be fine!

My first mods were full exhaust. It was not hard at all well worth doing it and I get a good feeling knowing I did the work.

If you run into snags you can always post up!
    same here. first mod I ever did on an f body was LT's and ory on my 95 TA. it was way harder then I thought but it gave me huge confidence when I had everything all put back together and the car was running and sounding great

Thread Information