Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAST vs. LS6

Artic White
    2002 ws6

FAST vs. LS6

okay... here's the poll question. I have a 2002 WS6 M6 12k miles. I was wondering if the gains with the FAST intake are going to be enough over my stock LS6 intake to justify spending that kind of cash.

Thanks!

hugger orange

what are your mods?

Millienum Yellow
    2003 Corvette Z06

FAST Alone no...but along with supporting mods heads/exhaust/cam tune then yes

caveat to my orginal post- You will see some gains, if the end result is you would end up getting one its not a bad place to start but as a only mod then grab the LS6 intake
    Last edited by MYSCZ06; 02-04-2009 at 05:18 AM.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Pewter_LS1 View Post
    FAST Alone no...but along with supporting mods heads/exhaust/cam tune then yes
    Do you think it is worth it with a bolt-on/cam engine with stock heads?

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Millienum Yellow
    2003 Corvette Z06

not too say he wont get any gains with just FAST alone but you really see it when its matched up with supporting mods...so yea you will see gains with cam and bolt- on's, tune etc

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

not too say he wont get any gains with just FAST alone but you really see it when its matched up with supporting mods...so yea you will see gains with cam and bolt- on's, tune etc
    I was speaking of myself, I've been pondering the idea of dropping a load of cash on one, but didn't know if it would be worth it w/o heads. I already have the ls6, so it's not bad... just curious what your thoughts were on $1000 for it plus t/b.

Thank you sir!

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I was speaking of myself, I've been pondering the idea of dropping a load of cash on one, but didn't know if it would be worth it w/o heads. I already have the ls6, so it's not bad... just curious what your thoughts were on $1000 for it plus t/b.

Thank you sir!

$1000 is way to much. they sell for right around $820-830 shipped on ebay (brand new) and the tb's go for about $400. theres a guy on there selling blems (they are the wrong color) and he say that they are perfect performance wise. He sells them for like $700 shipped, but i wouldnt trust that.

Millienum Yellow
    2003 Corvette Z06

DR Crash is correct is his statement they can be found cheaper on many LS based boards. I think the intake wouldnt hurt yea at this point since you have a good start on mods and then when you get around to a set of heads then it will really shine. Cruise the boards and get a good deal on a intake/tb set up which can be found for right around 900-1100 depending...

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    $1000 is way to much. they sell for right around $820-830 shipped on ebay (brand new) and the tb's go for about $400. theres a guy on there selling blems (they are the wrong color) and he say that they are perfect performance wise. He sells them for like $700 shipped, but i wouldnt trust that.
    Yeah I was basically quoting the intake/tb combos I have seen offered for right around a grand.

DR Crash is correct is his statement they can be found cheaper on many LS based boards. I think the intake wouldnt hurt yea at this point since you have a good start on mods and then when you get around to a set of heads then it will really shine. Cruise the boards and get a good deal on a intake/tb set up which can be found for right around 900-1100 depending...

Thank's for the input! I kinda expected to drop that coin into an intake in the future, but this summer is going to be all about the clutch and rear end set up.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Do you think it is worth it with a bolt-on/cam engine with stock heads?
    Yes. I myself and alot of other cam only guys use a FAST 90/90. Most effective I feel when the cam is 230+.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

I'm currently running a FAST 90/90 on my car and all I have is bolt ons and it still runs well despite the oversized intake. I plan to go further with my mods eventually so I got it planning ahead. My mods are in my sig.

The throttle response is amazing with the FAST, the motor revs up so much faster. Don't go for the FAST 90, get the 92 its a much better unit. The whole reasoning behind FAST releasing the 92 was to replace the problematic 90. The 92 is much more functional and reliable than the 90. Trust me I've been there and done that, get the 92 not the 90.
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

red
    2000 camaro ss

you won't see substantial gains from removing ls6 intake until 400 wheel. i'm not a fan of BBK by any means, but they did somethin right on their LSx manifold. BBK manifold best NA manifold for the money. . .outflows fast outta the box and it's almost 1/2 the price.

Artic White
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    you won't see substantial gains from removing ls6 intake until 400 wheel. i'm not a fan of BBK by any means, but they did somethin right on their LSx manifold. BBK manifold best NA manifold for the money. . .outflows fast outta the box and it's almost 1/2 the price.
    Hmmm.... you say the BBK is a better more powerful intake than the FAST?

red
    2000 camaro ss

depending on setup, straight outta the box they flow best on 346 that i've seen. (excluding carb manifolds)

"better" is not a word i like to sling around. both can be ported to match flow for your setup, both are designed off the LS6 manifold. with the FAST you are payin' for nitrous ports and fancy polymer compound construction. bbk is so much cheaper AND has outstanding flow characteristics right outta the box, more so than the FAST. i've run both on many applications, i personally use bbk for my NA 346.
    Last edited by side2000; 02-08-2009 at 08:28 AM.

Artic White
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    depending on setup, straight outta the box they flow best on 346 that i've seen. (excluding carb manifolds)

"better" is not a word i like to sling around. both can be ported to match flow for your setup, both are designed off the LS6 manifold. with the FAST you are payin' for nitrous ports and fancy polymer compound construction. bbk is so much cheaper AND has outstanding flow characteristics right outta the box, more so than the FAST. i've run both on many applications, i personally use bbk for my NA 346.
    Awesome. Thanks for the input.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Something to think about to is that if you do get a fast setup, you can sell your LS6 mani for about $300 which will help to offset the cost. Yes they are a little expensive, but they are also in my opnion the "best". If the BBK is really better, then why isn't everyone buying them? I would think that if there was a better product for less money, more people would recomend it. It would be nice to spend less money but you get what you pay for. Just my .02

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Something to think about to is that if you do get a fast setup, you can sell your LS6 mani for about $300 which will help to offset the cost. Yes they are a little expensive, but they are also in my opnion the "best". If the BBK is really better, then why isn't everyone buying them? I would think that if there was a better product for less money, more people would recomend it. It would be nice to spend less money but you get what you pay for. Just my .02
    Agreed...

Anyone looking for an LS6 manifold?!?!?! lol

It could be that people tend to shy away from the cast aluminum construction. It's a little heavier than plastic and it also holds more heat. Something not condusive to HP when talking about intakes.

I do favor the BBK though for boosted or NOS applications,,,just seems like a solid piece, plastic is a little scary for this in my opinion. Alot of people do it though That 2 piece design of the FAST scares the hell outta me for this reason (and a couple others),,,,,, but it also makes porting much easier.
    Just alot of different ways to look at it.

For me the LS6 intake does the job on stock cubes and naturally aspirated. Thats all I plan on having. If I built a stroker motor I probably wouldn't hesitate for a better intake but for what I'm doing I have a hard time swallowing the price for such a small gain in HP that I would get. I'd rather spend $1,200 on something else personally.
    If you are squeaking for every last bit then by all means.....

Agreed...

Yes I am,,,but for anymore than $300 shipped I wouldn't be interested. Since I have to invest in coolant lines, gaskets etc...that will set me back another $100.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Agreed...

Ya I just ordered my fast and looking to sell my LS6 as well Haha
    Last edited by Dr.Crash; 02-09-2009 at 09:57 AM.

Thread Information