Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

FAST 102 questions

I am looking at getting the FAST 102mm and I have a few questions. First, are there any fitment problems? Second, is there anything additional I need bedsides the intake and fuel rails? Like do all of the gaskets come with it? I already have a 101mm TB. I am just trying to make sure I have everything this time around before I get started.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Subscribed. Still thinking about winter upgrades and not sure yet where I am going with our car.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

I have one on mine. The fitment is not as bad as everyone says it is. If you have taken an intake off of a fbody before then it shouldn't be difficult at all. Its just tight when you gotta torque stuff down in the back and be careful when you slide it in with the map sensor on the back.

You'll need the intake runner gaskets but if yours aren't old you can try to reuse them if you dont mind taking the intake off again if its leaking. You will also need fuel rail spacers.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by jetaws6:2709389
    I have one on mine. The fitment is not as bad as everyone says it is. If you have taken an intake off of a fbody before then it shouldn't be difficult at all. Its just tight when you gotta torque stuff down in the back and be careful when you slide it in with the map sensor on the back.

You'll need the intake runner gaskets but if yours aren't old you can try to reuse them if you dont mind taking the intake off again if its leaking. You will also need fuel rail spacers.
    Okay, thanks. I have a different intake on right now, as long as it fits better than my current intake, professional products 96mm, I should be fine. With my current intake it was leaking everywhere to begin with, I got it to stop but it was a lot of work. That said, the intake doesn't leak at the fuel rails does it? And is there any grinding needed to make it fit? Basically I am just wondering if it bolts right on just fine.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Yes there is grinding I completely forgot about that. You have to grind part of the top of the water pump and you need ls6 style coolant crossover lines. I have had mine like a year so I forgot some of the stuff. It comes with bigger O rings for the injectors so it shouldnt leak out of the rails.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by jetaws6:2709427
    Yes there is grinding I completely forgot about that. You have to grind part of the top of the water pump and you need ls6 style coolant crossover lines. I have had mine like a year so I forgot some of the stuff. It comes with bigger O rings for the injectors so it shouldnt leak out of the rails.
    Okay cool, sounds easy. I already have the ls6 crossover lines. How much grinding was required, like just a little bit? I read the grinding was because of the TB not the intake, my TB clears the water pump. Is that true? I just got an air grinder I haven't used yet, so this may give me an opportunity to use it!
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 10-14-2011 at 08:27 AM.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I didn't have to grind anything with mine, but I have a Meziere Electric Water Pump.

Watch the MAP Sensor when installing the intake, because it will contact the firewall and snap it in half. I rotated mine 90* so it points upward.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

If you have a mesmerize you shouldn't have to. The stock one you need to to clear in intake. I tried to get a pic of mine but you can't really see it. Its not to much grinding and if you have the right tools it won't take long to do
    98 ws6 stock short block 228r ls6 Heads Fast 102 tick level 2 trans monster stage 3 mwc 9 on the way

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino:2709518
    I didn't have to grind anything with mine, but I have a Meziere Electric Water Pump.

Watch the MAP Sensor when installing the intake, because it will contact the firewall and snap it in half. I rotated mine 90* so it points upward.
    Good idea, I think I'll do that when I install it. Well I ordered the intake, can't wait to put it on but I think I am going to paint it first. Is it worth porting it? And is that something you could do yourself or should a professional do that?

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

You can definitely port it yourself

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by jetaws6:2709731
    You can definitely port it yourself
    Alright, cool I'll probably use my air die grinder but the attachment for plastic and stuff. If that's a good tool to use for that.

Black/ Silver

So I got my FAST 102 in and I was wondering if any aftermarket fuel rail should fit or will only FASTs fit correctly? I have a aftermarket fuel rail kit from PP already.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    So I got my FAST 102 in and I was wondering if any aftermarket fuel rail should fit or will only FASTs fit correctly? I have a aftermarket fuel rail kit from PP already.
    I have the same kit.

You'll have to drill two holes (one on each rail) since the mounts on the FAST102 are different than the LS1/6 intakes and FAST90/92s. I used a drill press and a regular drill bit.

You'll also need larger o-rings for the bottom of the injector. You also can only use the skinny style injectors.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Why can you only use the skinny injectors?

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

They sit deeper in the injector holes, and the fatties won't seat all the way in because they hit the plastic. I'm sure you can do some trimming on the plastic, but I'm not comfortable cutting up my $800 intake.

Black/ Silver

Alright so do I need different injectors to make it fit? I have the stock injectors right now. How do I know if they are the skinny ones (injectors in general not just stock ones)? If I am going to drill holes in my fuel rails I might paint it since red doesn't go with my color scheme. Trying to decide whether to buy one of fast's fuel rails or keep mine, as I am going to sell the intake that came with the Fuel Rails.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Im pretty sure stock ones are skinny style

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by jetaws6:2711196
    Im pretty sure stock ones are skinny style
    Alright cool. I have another question, I was reading through the directions for it and it says the map sensor holes are plugged and need to be drilled, how big of a drill bit did you use? Just big enough to fill the hole?

Black/ Silver

Nevermind, I found it it's 3/8" drill bit. If I kept reading I would have seen it the first time.

Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

I had to lower the k member 1 3/4" so I didn't have to cut the firewall. I think this is because I have solid motor mounts.
    FAST 102/92TB combo, 36lb FAST inj., 25%underdrive pulley, A.I.R. delete, custom SSLT and true duels under the axel, 3000 stall, 12 bolt Moser, 4.11 gears, 325/50 tires
    Best 1.52 60ft, 7.48 1/8th, 95mph (all motor, no spray!!!) need a cage now..

Thread Information