Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Expert Exhaust help

99 Z28 A4 all stock

What I would like to do is get a nice stainless steel cat back exhaust. I was leaning towards Magnaflow, but i'm open to anything cheaper, , yeah right.

Here is the catch and where i need the help. My wife loves the Magnaflow stock looking rect tips. I emailed Magnaflow and they where a big help, sort of. The Magnaflow cat back exhaust won't accept the other tips without a little fabing, not a real big deal.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=743

I would like to do every thing I can, up to any welding.

I'm looking for help figuring out what kind of pipes will be needed to get the rect tips on. Naturally the tubing will depend on the muffler, so i'm going with Magnaflow as my starting example.

Hedman makes a header back system with the rect tips. Jegs used to have it listed, but now i'm having a real hard time locating a seller. So Hedman was my second easy choice, but fading.

Has any one done this? Any one know what size, angle, part number, or what ever I would need? I like doing things myself, saves money, but I can't weld so i have limitations.

thanks
    kool-aide

98 Formula
    06 duramax

any muffler shop should be able to just cut your stock tips and move them over pretty easy. My personal opinion though is to change the wifes mind and show her the error of her ways. Why cut on a stainless system to weld in the crappy stock tips? I believe it's her way of leaving her mark on the car.......find another place for her to leave her mark. Ooooor just lie to her and tell her it won't work.

1998 Firebird Formula WS6

Quote Originally Posted by kool-aide View Post
    99 Z28 A4 all stock

What I would like to do is get a nice stainless steel cat back exhaust. I was leaning towards Magnaflow, but i'm open to anything cheaper, , yeah right.

Here is the catch and where i need the help. My wife loves the Magnaflow stock looking rect tips. I emailed Magnaflow and they where a big help, sort of. The Magnaflow cat back exhaust won't accept the other tips without a little fabing, not a real big deal.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=743

I would like to do every thing I can, up to any welding.

I'm looking for help figuring out what kind of pipes will be needed to get the rect tips on. Naturally the tubing will depend on the muffler, so i'm going with Magnaflow as my starting example.

Hedman makes a header back system with the rect tips. Jegs used to have it listed, but now i'm having a real hard time locating a seller. So Hedman was my second easy choice, but fading.

Has any one done this? Any one know what size, angle, part number, or what ever I would need? I like doing things myself, saves money, but I can't weld so i have limitations.

thanks
    kool-aide
    texas speed products has a catbacl with no tips for 250 and then you can add tips to that but it flows good and is pretty cheap.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    any muffler shop should be able to just cut your stock tips and move them over pretty easy. My personal opinion though is to change the wifes mind and show her the error of her ways. Why cut on a stainless system to weld in the crappy stock tips? I believe it's her way of leaving her mark on the car.......find another place for her to leave her mark. Ooooor just lie to her and tell her it won't work.
    I second this one.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    no, not the stock tips. Stock looking tips, the Magnaflow stainless tips from the link. I wouldn't save those old nasty stockers, yuck.

Should the Magnaflow catback have slip on muffler and tail piping? I have never seen one, so i don't know. I am assuming the muffler pipes and big tail pipes are all one piece that slip on to the muffler as one piece, right?

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 180ls1 View Post
    texas speed products has a catbacl with no tips for 250 and then you can add tips to that but it flows good and is pretty cheap.
    you mean this one?

http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp...d=195&catid=46

I was looking at it. Kinda wanted stainless, not not really married to it. Do you think the Magnaflow tips would fit on without having to use longer pipes?

It's tough when you haven't seen any of these up close. I guess I could call Texas speed and ask them.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

oh and yes, she is leaving her mark. I don't mind. I like the rect tips more than the big ole round cannons. I used to have big 3.5s on my truck, looked nice. For the z28, i'd like to go rect and shiny.

I would buy the Hedman exhaust if I could find it. Maybe I need to call Jegs and ask them if they can still get it, hmm...

I am so all over the place. I want to replace the quiet stock exhaust and have shiny rect tips, ugh. Talkin about on the fence...

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

well i called Jegs, they said the Hedman exhaust is discontinued, bummer. I guess I should have bought it when i saw it, DOH.

Here is an idea. Any one have any exp with the Hooker cat back? It looks like the dual tips on the hooker cat back are clamp on. And Jegs said they are 10 3/4 long. I'm wondering if this would work, hmm... Any hookers out there, ok I couldn't go that long with out a real good pun. Seriously though, can any one verify the dual tips on the hooker as clamp on and about 10 3/4 long?

otherwise that Texas speed is lookin good, but are those bullet mufflers too loud with headers? Not every LS1Sounds.com entry is good enough to tell if the system is a cop magnet. I want better, deeper, and louder than stock, just don't want a cop magnet.

thanks.

Blue
    2000 t/a

well i called Jegs, they said the Hedman exhaust is discontinued, bummer. I guess I should have bought it when i saw it, DOH.

Here is an idea. Any one have any exp with the Hooker cat back? It looks like the dual tips on the hooker cat back are clamp on. And Jegs said they are 10 3/4 long. I'm wondering if this would work, hmm... Any hookers out there, ok I couldn't go that long with out a real good pun. Seriously though, can any one verify the dual tips on the hooker as clamp on and about 10 3/4 long?

otherwise that Texas speed is lookin good, but are those bullet mufflers too loud with headers? Not every LS1Sounds.com entry is good enough to tell if the system is a cop magnet. I want better, deeper, and louder than stock, just don't want a cop magnet.

thanks.
    i have the texas speed catback its only loud at wot but has a deap sound when normal driving in town.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird99 View Post
    i have the texas speed catback its only loud at wot but has a deap sound when normal driving in town.
    cool thanks. Is it stock manifolds and Y?

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

I just found the Fast Toys exhaust tips, yee haw, 100 bucks. It looks like I could swap the rect tips on any cat back that uses quad tips. It seems most of those tips run about 10 3/4 long.

Blue
    2000 t/a

yea,its the stock y and manifolds but in a few weeks ill get my l/t installed.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

it will be interesting to see if you think it is louder and too loud

to me the texas speed rumbler looks like a SLP style exhaust, but hard to tell from their web site pic.

I have heard the SLP loud mouth is way too loud with headers and ory. wonder what the TSP is like.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

yea,its the stock y and manifolds but in a few weeks ill get my l/t installed.
    since your in texas what headers and Y do you plan to buy? Isn't Texas an emissions state?

Blue
    2000 t/a

it will be interesting to see if you think it is louder and too loud

to me the texas speed rumbler looks like a SLP style exhaust, but hard to tell from their web site pic.

I have heard the SLP loud mouth is way too loud with headers and ory. wonder what the TSP is like.
    the muffler they use is the dynomax bullit style,the sales rep told me that the muffler is closer to the y and it wouldnt have any rasp like the slp.and the system is similar to the slp but the muffler is the difference.

Blue
    2000 t/a

i bought the race style pacesetter headers but i still havent bought the pacesetter y,and yes we are a emission state but as long i dont have a ses light on ill be ok. i did the same with my previous mustang gt i owned.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

the muffler they use is the dynomax bullit style,the sales rep told me that the muffler is closer to the y and it wouldnt have any rasp like the slp.and the system is similar to the slp but the muffler is the difference.
    that's what i figured. well, it ought to be interesting to hear your opion on how loud it gets after your headers go on.

i once had a crapy 82 honda civic with holes throughout the exhaust. I reved it too high leaving a pizza joint one night and ended up with a cop following me all the way home, noisy rust bucket.

imagine the attention a loud camaro would draw, yikes. I want louder than stock but not cop magnet, those days are over.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

i bought the race style pacesetter headers but i still havent bought the pacesetter y,and yes we are a emission state but as long i dont have a ses light on ill be ok. i did the same with my previous mustang gt i owned.
    ah, i see. my brother went with JBAs on his truck to keep it legal.

even though i live in FL i have been going back and forth on getting ORY or Catted Y. I would feel so guilty with an ORY.

Blue
    2000 t/a

like i said about the muffler being closer to the y makes it quieter than the slp,the slp is louder.

Blue
    2000 t/a

catted or not its not realy no difference in sound,my brother had the o/r style and was too loud he then installed some high flow cats and was no difference in sound.

Thread Information