Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Exhaust Squeak...

So about 3 days ago my exhaust started squeaking...I got under the car tonight and I'm pretty sure it's coming from the driver side where the long tube connects to the Y pipe...I cranked on the bolts that were holding the two pieces together and only one was loose. After tightening that down its still squeaking...any suggestions on what I should do? Tac weld or weld the whole thing? Some type of high temp sealer or gasket that I can use?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Check the header bolts as well. I would weld the entire system if you have the equipment and ability.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Can you wiggle the system and reproduce the noise you are hearing? There are other potential sources for the noise, including the heat shields in that area.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Can you wiggle the system and reproduce the noise you are hearing? There are other potential sources for the noise, including the heat shields in that area.
    I shook the whole exhaust system last night and the only thing I can find is under the drivers side floor pan where the long tube joins the Y. I tried shaking the heat shields and they were pretty solid...the Long tube Y meeting point has a slight squeak when I shake it. I might just unbolt that joining point all together tonight and reconnect it. All I did yesterday was make sure the bolts were snug and only one was loose which means it probably shifted the way it is seated...
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 05-22-2013 at 03:50 AM.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Check the header bolts as well. I would weld the entire system if you have the equipment and ability.
    I didnt think to check the header bolts...the exhaust doesnt pop or sound like it has an exhaust leak under the hood but i'll check them anyway. Im trying to get this squeak fixed before this weekend. I'll be in Atlanta and im gonna hop in one of the cruises @ the fbody gathering with some of my friends in GA.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If you have band clamps on the exhaust, they really need to be tight. I think the spec on mine was around 70-75 lb.ft.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    If you have band clamps on the exhaust, they really need to be tight. I think the spec on mine was around 70-75 lb.ft.
    Its got a band clamp, but its further back in the system...the part that I think is the issue are two seperate pieces with 3 bolts in a triangle configuration that are bolted together that pull each side of the exhaust together. I'll try to find a picture of what it looks like...its raining so I'm not going to get under right now

I cant find a picture of the same one mine has, but I think im going to pick one of these up on the way home and try it out...

555-30731.jpg
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 05-22-2013 at 04:23 AM.

Black / White

Found where the squeak is coming from.....................any ideas on what the best way to tackle this is? Its sitting on the support...I could always just unbolt the support and cut a U or a V in it, but i'd rather do something else if possible. Might just get somebody to put a new hanger in that area and support it a little.

Last edited by theorangeguy; 05-30-2013 at 07:18 AM.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

What I did there is bent that part where the pipe was hitting it. Sorta flattened out the lip. That piece is so flimsy it's incredible
    2002 Camaro SS Black Betty
    Suspension:
    Poly Trans mount, Solid Motor mount, Strut tower Brace
    Performance:
    SLP intake, Smooth Bellow, A.I.R Delete, M/T's on Salad Shooters
    Apperance:
    Re-Badged, Ultragauge, Whistler Mod, Racing Seats, Auto Hurst Shift Handle

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    What I did there is bent that part where the pipe was hitting it. Sorta flattened out the lip. That piece is so flimsy it's incredible
    I'll give that a shot tonight...thats the cheapest route right now I'll put a pair of plyers on it and flatten it out some...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just space it down a bit. Use longer bolts and maybe some oversize nuts between the brace and the underbody.

Black / White

Fixed it...gave it some love with a hammer and plyers put a fresh coat of paint on the bottom of the brace since I had it out...its officially the cleanest piece on the bottom of the car now You can see a black mark on the bottom of the Y collector where it was rubbing on the brace below it. Its got about .5inch clearance now. Drove the car to work this morning and no squeak...just mean exhaust.

Last edited by theorangeguy; 05-31-2013 at 05:26 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I can't stand squeaks and rattles. Good work.

Thread Information