White
    1999 Trans Am

Exhaust -muffler

I might be the first person in performance car history to ask how to best make the exhaust quieter. I just purchased a 99 trans am with a giant 4" pipe running from some crap headers through a glass pack to the back. It sounds great, but is way way too loud. ( I set off a car alarm yesterday)
    The cats are long gone. O2 sensor and computer have been set up to not show errors. There is also a very strong exhaust smell in the car, the pipe hangs too low and knocks on the bottom of the car a bit. Basically, it has a shi*ty exhaust system.
    I am looking for a recommendation for a high quality set of headers, muffler and pipe to the split in the back. Power is plenty full in the car and intent on using it to drive around. Not race or anything. The good news is that is so loud, I can't hear my wife bitching about the car.
    Tom
    64 GTO 389, Post Coup, 4 Speed, 4 Bbl
    99 Trans Am, Vert, A4

There are a lot of great 3" cat back systems on the market that simply bolt on. Everyone's level of what sounds good is so completely different I don't think anyone can recommend one for you. But we can offer suggestions as to what we like best.
    I have a feeling you may be somewhat like me. I don't care for too much noise anymore, prefer something tame that doesn't attract attention with maybe a mild sound and absolutely no drone, that's unacceptable for me. In a convertible it's even more important. Last thing I want is exhaust noise rattling the back of my head with the top down.
    For me the best 4th gen system has always been the factory SLP Dual/Dual system as it was called. Unfortunately that system has long been discontinued so no sense in going in to details on that one.
    You're stuck with what the aftermarket has to offer. Magnaflow isn't too horribly loud but I found over time as the packing in the muffler breaks down it got progressively louder over a few years of use.
    I've used Pypes the most as of the last several years and like the fact that they offer several different mufflers and noise levels. Unfortunately there is only one muffler they offer for the 4th gens in the factory fit design. It's not terribly loud either. Decent system.
    Dynomax is my other favorite, very tame, nice sound, no drone. It's slightly quieter than the Pypes system. I use 2 of these Dynomax systems currently and I'm happy. One is a dual exhaust dual muffler system and the other is a dual system with tranverse muffler. One made of stainless and the other is aluminized. Extremely happy with both sound level and fitment on both systems.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 11-06-2016 at 05:21 AM.

White
    1999 Trans Am

Thanks F.B Jones.

I like the idea of a true dual system with a nice sound. You are right, the drone in the back of the head is too much. I would like to tackle the job myself over a weekend. My welding skills are rusty, but were good back in the day. Any favorite true dual with header package?

There were only a couple of true dual exhaust systems made for these 4th gens, that exit at the rear bumper. Unfortunately they are both pretty loud for my taste so I never considered using them. The other draw back is that they are very expensive in my opinion.

One such company was Bassani, and the other was Kooks. Bassani actually used a transverse muffler but had dual inlets and outlets, it's actually the quietest true dual system.

Kooks uses bullet mufflers last time I checked, and that system is pretty daggum loud.

Both are expensive but something to check out if you're looking for true duals.

Texas Speed also used to sell their version of a true dual system but it was a system that simply dumped a pair of mufflers right in front of the rearend. Not my idea of a nice exhaust system so I never considered it. That would be horrible drone inside the car and certainly loud as well.

Thread Information