SOM
    2002 SS

Exhaust Installed... What's this brace/rattle?????

Ok SO I installed a corsa cat back wiht an ofroad 3" y pipe. It was overkill for a 3" y -pipe but I wanted to get rid of the ugly stock pipe from the cats back.

When the car was done he showed me a brace that looks like it bolts to both sides of the tunnel that he had removed. I'll get pics up but the camera is in the car and I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about. How important is this brace? Is there aftermarket ones? What do you guys do who install longtubes/Y-pipes with the stock brace? Help !!

Also I have a rattle at certain throttle points obviously from the engine vibration causing something to touch underneath. Seems obvious it is under the drivers seat area where a 3" pipe tucked fairly close takes place of the ugly stock flat pipe. Can I jack the car up or something on the floor to bend it upwards? Is our floor steel? ANy ideas on how to dent the floor a bit so it doesn't touch?

thanks guys I'll get pics up tomorrow. I remade an appointment to get the rattle checked and also I want to realign the tips they sort of stick out and aren't flat (theyre sort of aimed downwards).

For a stock motor with no mods the corsa is incredibly quiet but just noticeable above 3000 rpm in any gear even at light throttle. I love it !! Getting up to speed in 5th and going to 6th I'm rewarded with stock silence which Is paramount as this will soon be the babys race car transportation
    Last edited by 5abivt; 06-24-2009 at 02:11 PM.

2002 WS6 TranAm

I am working through the same challenge right now. I don't know the importance of the brace but the shop added some washers to mine which took care of it. Some of the vibration I'm also getting and think it may be the k-member rubbing. I had gears installed at the same time and waiting to get the mileage on the gears and then will have them make the adjustments to get rid of the vibration and to stand behind the gears.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Talked to one of the guys at TSP when installing my LT's and aligning their TSP Y-Pipe. He told me they throw that piece out on all their installs.

I taped my bolts to the brace and stuck it in my stock parts pile.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

That is actually the stock drive shaft safety loop. If they throw it out is just poor craftsmanship if you ask me. It is not hard to shim it out of the way, get an aftermarket made for extra clearance for exhaust, get an aftermarket driveshaft safety loop, etc.

I kept them both on my vert and T-top.

The T-top cross brace is about a joke, but I left it in. The vert has an extra X style brace that seems to have no purpose. I was able to leave that in as well. I didn't have to shim any of them down.

As far as the Y-pipe touching the driver side floor, it's a common issue. On both of my cars I cut, moved, and rewelded the Y-pipe on that side for a little more clearance.

Pewter
    2001 Z28

jack it up, stick a huge prybar between the ypipe and floor board on drivers side, make sure header flange bolts are tight and then crank the shit out that pry bar. Heat it up first if you like. Totally fixed my problem.

Pewter
    2001 Z28

DO NOT DENT THE FLOOR. Sorry just totally read entire post, just bend like I said with the pry bar.

SOM
    2002 SS

will be taking your advice tommorow. Went to the shoppe today they cut the exhaust and realigned the tips and raised both (1 was dented from shipping and the seller refuses to submit a claim ) Also had one clamp removed and the y pipe welded for clearance. the touching is reduced but not gone. Now its only there in 1st gear obviously thats where there is most torque multiplication. At least its fun to drive now.

Tommorow I'm going to jack up the car and stick a pry bar in there (just bought a HUGE one today). Going to put a stand under the exhaust pipe and crank the bar to try and bend the top of the pipe flatter.

I spray painted the floor so I can see exactly where its hitting.
    I shall keep you posted !! this stuff doesn't let me sleep !

Thread Information