Blue
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Exhaust with headers

I bought my 98 Z28 in october, and the guy threw in eldelbrock shorty bolt-up headers in with it, i was wondering what type of exhaust would sound really good with the headers hooked up, i was looking into offroad H and X pipes but im not sure if that would be way too loud, anybody have any ideas?

thanks - Kris

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

H and X pipes more even out the exhaust pressure from each bank on a true dual set up. I'm guessing you run emissions in WA so you're gonna keep the cat's on there to pass. I liked the Hooker cat back. Quiet with a lower rumble when idle but screams when you get on it.
    2000 Z28: Accufab 4150, Vic Jr. 150 shot, Patriot stg 2 heads, big cam, FLT Stg VI 4L60, S60 rear. Waaay more stuff to list. 3100 LBS.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Always been a fan of the Magnaflow systems. One of the first mods on our car was the installation of a catback. With, or without, cats these systems have a great sound.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Always been a fan of the Magnaflow systems. One of the first mods on our car was the installation of a catback. With, or without, cats these systems have a great sound.
    +1

I have Magnaflow on my car and really like the way it sounds. It's not obnoxiously loud, but it's not quiet, either. Sounds great coupled with a pair of long-tube headers, as well

Having said that, exhaust sounds are pretty subjective, and what sounds good to one person may not sound good to another. If you know anybody with an LS1 and an aftermarket exhaust system, go take a listen and see if you like what you hear, then find out what exhaust system they are running. Honestly, though, you really can't go wrong with a cat-back from any of the well-known exhaust manufacturers.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Honestly you are better off selling those headers. The shorty headers will give you such minimal gain that it isn't even worth installing. Just bolt up a cat back to the factory Y, and when you want to do more, then go with long tubes.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly you are better off selling those headers. The shorty headers will give you such minimal gain that it isn't even worth installing. Just bolt up a cat back to the factory Y, and when you want to do more, then go with long tubes.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Borla! Cat back 3" Adj...perfect, and I have shorties and got 12 HP out of them over the Stock manifolds...not longtube power but easy and hook up to the cats and no codes!!!
    2001 WS.6, Borla Adj cat back exhaust, Borla Twin Tips, BBK shorties, High Flow Cats, Y Pipe, UMI strut tower brace, SLP Lid + K&N Filter, Smooth bellow,85mm MAF, Polished Throttle Body, Hurst gumball knob, Hood wrap with Black Stripes, Frost Tune.

Blue
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Thanks for the imput guys i'll do some pricing, and yes i have to do emissions this month... i might just cut those cats out as soon as it passes haha

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would use those headers to rest the box of longtube headers on in the garage while you install the longtubes. A lot of work to put those shorties in for basically no gains. If you're doing the work you might as well get some HP out of it. How much money do you have to spend on a catback? Are you looking for badass or mild mannered? GMMG makes the baddest ass exhaust I've ever heard on a f-body. You pay for it though.....$750.

Check out ls1sounds.com and listen to a few set ups.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I would use those headers to rest the box of longtube headers on in the garage while you install the longtubes. A lot of work to put those shorties in for basically no gains.

Very funny... but still solid advice.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by JayL View Post
    Borla! Cat back 3" Adj...perfect, and I have shorties and got 12 HP out of them over the Stock manifolds...not longtube power but easy and hook up to the cats and no codes!!!
    Not to be rude, but that is a ton of work for 12 hp. YOu can change the air lid and get that. That takes 3 minutes.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

For comparison sake, my understanding is that longtubes are generlly worth 20-25 hp together with an updated tune.

Blue
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I would use those headers to rest the box of longtube headers on in the garage while you install the longtubes. A lot of work to put those shorties in for basically no gains. If you're doing the work you might as well get some HP out of it. How much money do you have to spend on a catback? Are you looking for badass or mild mannered? GMMG makes the baddest ass exhaust I've ever heard on a f-body. You pay for it though.....$750.

Check out ls1sounds.com and listen to a few set ups.

ill look into that i want a badass mean sounding v8 haha, and yeah im probably gonna throw the shorties on craiglist, thanks for the advice, i dont wanna do a ton of work for nothing basically

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I believe you are right, and if there was an easier way to get it for the same or less money....

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

And, those shorties will hold you back in airflow when you decide to upgrade heads and intake. Then, you will need to install the LT's to get your full benefit.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I get your point AZ and agree, I'm just saying those of us who don't plan on or cant afford doing engine upgrades and continue to put bolt ons...it was just easy for me to change to shorties that bolted right in, unlike long tubes that require emissions changes to get rid of codes and clearance issues and new or no cats and new y pipe etc. He already has the shorties and I was just saying there not worthless and they are easy!!! They are by no means comparable to longtubes!!!

maroon
    2000 Z28

You planning on running cats though? Emissions won't pass you if you don't have them on the car.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by UTVols98 View Post
    You planning on running cats though? Emissions won't pass you if you don't have them on the car.
    That is a really blanket statement, it varies state to state. Here in AZ, you only have a computer test. They don't look under my car here. Or under the hood. Hook up the computer, if it passes, it passes. The only other thing they check is the gas cap.

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    That is a really blanket statement, it varies state to state. Here in AZ, you only have a computer test. They don't look under my car here. Or under the hood. Hook up the computer, if it passes, it passes. The only other thing they check is the gas cap.
    Same here in illinois although that's only for 10 of our counties and only cars 96 n newer. Always best to read up on your local laws

maroon
    2000 Z28

Actually, since you're not cammed, you probably could pass the emissions test depending on how strict they are.

Blue
    1998 Z28 Camaro

my buddy 99 mustang gt passed with no cats and a off road x pipe, plus i wont have to worry about emmission testing for 2 more years after

Thread Information