Black
    2002 Z28

Exhaust - Emissions Legal, Max Performance

So I’ve been doing a lot of lurking & searching… not a lot of posting. This time it seems time.

There are a lot of exhaust threads out there but the vast majority seemed to be focused on sound. Here’s my list of priorities (in order of importance):
    1. Street legal (i.e. will pass a visual and OBDII inspection)
    2. Provides the best performance for my application
    3. Ground clearance
    4. Sound (not a big fan of loud)
    5. Cost

Based on the above, I know I need cats (I’m not interested in running without them). I also would like long tube headers. True duals is also an option… I’m a big fan of efficiency, so function reigns for me. I don’t care about bragging rights or getting noticed… I simply enjoy having a fun car.

So there you have it. With all that, what would your ideal system consist of from the exhaust ports to the tail pipes? There are not a lot of mods on the car, and probably won't be for a while. The car will, however, be tuned after the exhaust is installed.

Thanks in advance!
    Mark
    Ft Worth, TX
    2002 Z28 m6
    Black/Neutral
    336RWHP/347RWTQ

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

KOOKS or AMERICAN RACING HEADERS both offer emision friendly long tubes and catted y pipes finish with borla cat back just what I would do.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

SLP headers are the worst ground clearance imaginable. As long as you avoid those, the rest are good on clearance.

Kooks and ARH are both great for durability.

Performance is going to be the same among most headers, you typically won't find a huge difference from one brand to the next.

Black
    2002 Z28

Thanks for the info. I have to admit, my knowledge on this stuff is a bit dated... just getting back into it. I've been focusing on aircraft for the last few years

I'm thinking about a 1-3/4" American Racing Headers with catted Y-pipe setup mated to a Magnaflow cat-back system. Thoughts? Anyone with this setup care to pass on any helpful tidbits of wisdom? I plan on doing the install.

Thanks.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mark2002 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have to admit, my knowledge on this stuff is a bit dated... just getting back into it. I've been focusing on aircraft for the last few years

I'm thinking about a 1-3/4" American Racing Headers with catted Y-pipe setup mated to a Magnaflow cat-back system. Thoughts? Anyone with this setup care to pass on any helpful tidbits of wisdom? I plan on doing the install.

Thanks.
    Should be a good setup. Not much too it really, just takes a little time. If you have the stock exhaust still on there, its probably rusted quite a bit. Soak the bolts in some lubrication to help get them loose.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Not sure but I have seen the Kooks with magnaflow catted ypipe and mangaflow catback and it looked clean.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Black
    2002 Z28

Thanks for the info guys. I'm feeling better about my parts decisions. Stopped by a local inspection station this morning to run it by them as well. Basically said as long as the cats are there, and no codes, I should have no problems passing

I'll also see about replacing the plugs, wires, motor mounts (going poly), and O2 sensors as well. Should make for a fun weekend

NBM
    1998Z28

Check out the Dynatech Supermaxx System. All stainless steel and one of the best fitting systems I've seen.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

2002 TA WS6

Quote Originally Posted by PFM View Post
    Check out the Dynatech Supermaxx Exhaust System. All stainless steel and one of the best fitting systems I've seen.
    That's something I haven't tried yet. Steel sounds good but are the products expensive?
    Last edited by gordonjj; 07-15-2010 at 06:18 PM.

red
    1990 LS1

My brother has the pacesetter exhaust headerback,Im going with the the pypes
    Last edited by wileynote; 07-30-2010 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark2002 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm feeling better about my parts decisions. Stopped by a local inspection station this morning to run it by them as well. Basically said as long as the cats are there, and no codes, I should have no problems passing

I'll also see about replacing the plugs, wires, motor mounts (going poly), and O2 sensors as well. Should make for a fun weekend
    I was told that as long as I run cats and no engine lights are on, I should pass. You could always have it retuned but that will run your around $550

Thread Information