Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

exhaust decisions

Im thinking, just got long tubes and I dont know if i want to go for a high flow cat back, or just put an electric cutout on it. I am leaning towars the cutout because I thouhgt it might be nice to hear the radio form time to time

If you got LT's then get a cut out. Especially if you have a track to run it on near by.

Red
    2000 SS

Look for the SLP dual/dual catback. It will not be obnoxious with LT's and it flows very well.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by dlbrando View Post
    I am leaning towars the cutout because I thouhgt it might be nice to hear the radio form time to time

a cut out if open all the time will be way louder than a catback of any kind
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    a cut out if open all the time will be way louder than a catback of any kind
    yea, thats why i was thinking of the cutout, using a normal exhaust and a cutout would let me close the cutout to hear the radio

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by dlbrando View Post
    yea, thats why i was thinking of the cutout, using a normal exhaust and a cutout would let me close the cutout to hear the radio
    i have headers, no cats and a cam with a hooker exhaust.
    i have no problem hearing the radio and i dont have to blast it to hear it.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28 View Post
    Look for the SLP dual/dual catback. It will not be obnoxious with LT's and it flows very well.
    you are out of your mind. only a select can stand lts with a lm...i am one of them..but to say its not obnoxious..your pushing it buddy but if thats your set up then bravo..it will be the set up i am going to run here real soon. maybe

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    you are out of your mind. only a select can stand lts with a lm...i am one of them..but to say its not obnoxious..your pushing it buddy but if thats your set up then bravo..it will be the set up i am going to run here real soon. maybe
    He is talking about the other SLP exhaust with dual dual tips, they were not always Loud Mouth setups,,,,,SLP also used a welded case crossflow muffler with the dual dual setup,,,,,and this muffler was also used on the CME exhaust as well,,,,which is what I have.

And he is right, I currently have long tube headers with no cats, and this SLP cat back exhaust and it's very quiet putting around, and only makes a "LITTLE" noise when you stand on it.

Since SLP used 2 style mufflers with various tip setups it would help if people specified which they were talking about.

And,,,,to get back on subject,,,I personally would go for long tube headers, no cats,(if able),,,and nice catback setup and a cutout. Just do it all. There are plenty of catbacks out there that have low noise levels and flow well for the street. But nothing I have tested so far works as good as simply opening the headers at the track. Put it all on there and have the best of both worlds.

2000 Camaro

Get a cutout and a GMMG exhaust if you want a catback. I had QTP's and a GMMG on my old setup and enjoyed the sound!

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

now i know..thanks firebird and i am sorry redrocket

No biggy,,,I just had a feeling when he said a quiet SLP exhaust, I knew thats the one he was referring too,,,or he is just hard of hearing?

Red
    2000 SS

Nah, not hard of hearing yet . Yeah I am talking about the SLP dual/dual that was an option from SLP. I have it on my SS.

Firebirdjones, I am getting ready to intall LT's and ORY on my SS. Will it wake up the dual/dual a decent amount over stock? I am also going to install a cutout in the i-pipe just for sound when I want it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28 View Post
    Nah, not hard of hearing yet . Yeah I am talking about the SLP dual/dual that was an option from SLP. I have it on my SS.

Firebirdjones, I am getting ready to intall LT's and ORY on my SS. Will it wake up the dual/dual a decent amount over stock? I am also going to install a cutout in the i-pipe just for sound when I want it.
    If you still have stock manifolds and cats then I guess you are aware of how quiet this system is.

Mine was this way until recently, I just installed long tubes and an off road Y-pipe, still with the SLP optional exhaust system (cross flow muffler) and CME. I have noticed the car is slightly louder, not so much while idling, but it does have a much deeper sound, and now a slight cackle as the rpms come back down, but nothing extreme at all. That muffler does a nice job of keeping the noise down, if thats your taste.

The difference is subtle, my wife hasn't even said a word about it and she rides in it almost every day.
    When you really stand on the throttle it now sounds like there is a little something under the hood, but again, it doesn't attact attention.

What I did notice the most is the improvement in throttle response with headers and off road Y-pipe, and the grunt throughout the mid rpm area is alot stronger, not to mention I picked up 2 mpg driving around town after the install, and I haven't touched the tune yet. Scanning it with the laptop shows that the LTFT's are still pretty decent.
    Going back to the track this Saturday to run the car as is and see what the install did for it without a tune, then tune the car a little and go back at a later time.

1998 Firebird Formula WS6

keep the stock exhaust and go with a cutout with 3" tubeing going to it it will have a real sleeper look to it. that might be cool and quiet when you need it to be.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Cutout.

Thread Information