Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: exhaust advice

exhaust advice

I am thinking of getting a full exhaust (long tube headers, ORY and cat back) The first quote I got was for pacesetter headers and ORY with either a GMMG or Magnaflow cat back. My question is which of the cat backs in this situation would provide the best HP for a daily driver. My car isn't lowered and I have UMI three point subframe connectors. Are there any known issues for either of these exhaust setups? I work nights so I want an aggressive sound but not so loud that I annoy my neighbors at 2 am LOL. Thanks for any advice and I am open to any other exhaust ideas if there is a better set up.

Oh and the car is a 01 Z28 HT with 6sp.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
    I am thinking of getting a full exhaust (long tube headers, ORY and cat back) The first quote I got was for pacesetter headers and ORY with either a GMMG or Magnaflow cat back. My question is which of the cat backs in this situation would provide the best HP for a daily driver. My car isn't lowered and I have UMI three point subframe connectors. Are there any known issues for either of these exhaust setups? I work nights so I want an aggressive sound but not so loud that I annoy my neighbors at 2 am LOL. Thanks for any advice and I am open to any other exhaust ideas if there is a better set up.

Oh and the car is a 01 Z28 HT with 6sp.
    GMMG is very loud...doesn't even have a muffler so if you want something aggressive but not crazy that rules GMMG out.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

thanks for that info as I don't want to make enemys of my neighbors lol so Magnaflow it is

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

That's what I was going to say about the GMMG. Magnaflow would be a good choice. From what I've read, anything but a Flowmaster for our cars, as it does improve the HP a bit, but not as much as just about any other quality cat-back.

Any 3" catback is going to perform nearly identical, with basically sound preferences dictating your choice. I've ran more 3" catbacks than I care to count with no real difference in performance. Most prefer the mellow tone of the Magnaflow. Personally I prefer an even more mellow SLP factory Dual/Dual stainless 3" catback that was optional on the SS and Firehawk. Unfortunately it's no longer made. It's the quietest of the bunch, and ran identical ET's with it after trying out several others, including the loud mouth 1 and 2 which isn't much of a muffler, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Edelbrock, Hooker Aero Chamber, and a couple others. Went back to the Dual/Dual. Then experimented again with a 4" catback from Mufflex with a Magnaflow race muffler. That's coming back off, going back to the Dual/Dual again. Do you see a pattern here

I see a pattern of the best exhaust is unobtanium lol Thanks all for the advice. I will be going with the Magnaflow then. As for headers which would be best 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 or is this kind of a wash until you have big mods completed?

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

The 1 7/8 do have slightly better hp numbers but don't really shine until a pretty decent amount of modding.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I know the magnaflow is popular but the best sounding exhaust on an f-body I've ever heard was a GMMG. Just don't come home throwing revs and your neighbors won't bitch. That exhaust is pure sex. Go to LS1sounds.com and compare the 2.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Magnaflow here and to me it was the perfect sound for our car. If you want more down the road, add an electric cutout to the mid-pipe and you can have total control over the sound level.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Magnaflow here also, to me and others who have commented it has the right sound. When you jump all over it, it comes alive. Spend the extra for quad tips.
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

98 Formula
    06 duramax

or....don't be such a tinkerbell and have the same exact thing everyone has Instead....get the best sounding exhaust on the market. Honestly.....if I was doing it all again.....I'd skip the catback altogether and do an e-cutout. By far my most fun mod.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I know the magnaflow is popular but the best sounding exhaust on an f-body I've ever heard was a GMMG. Just don't come home throwing revs and your neighbors won't bitch. That exhaust is pure sex. Go to LS1sounds.com and compare the 2.
    those GMMG sound clips GMMG sounds so damn wicked...

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Speaking of GMMG, ever heard of anyone hacking their GMMG up and making a true dual setup out of it? I am heavily considering this.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    or....don't be such a tinkerbell and have the same exact thing everyone has
    That's one thing I was never afraid to do. I am always willing to try different things and think outside the box.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by jrbonds View Post
    Speaking of GMMG, ever heard of anyone hacking their GMMG up and making a true dual setup out of it? I am heavily considering this.
    You might as well just use straight pipe at that point I would find it difficult to cut up a GMMG system just because its awesome and pretty expensive...not to mention the fact that they dont make it anymore.

If you already have the GMMG and you want a real dual system, then I would suggest....

Selling that off, they don't make it anymore, you can get decent money out of it, easy to sell, it's desirable and alot of people like it.

Then,,,,take that money and put it towards a Bassani real dual exhaust system. They are the best price going for a real mandrel bent dual system that reaches the bumper, has an X-pipe, and works with either factory manifolds or headers. Simple bolt on without the need to modify piping, cut/weld to make things fit or paying an exhaust shop to make crush bend pipes.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

I know, I looked for this GMMG set up for 3 years, happened to stumble across it dirt cheap in January. Although, I'd never sell it.

And I don't like the way Bassani sounds, my friend has almost that same set up on his Camaro, and I'm just not a fan.

Bassani uses a transverse muffler that is very similar to most of your 3" catbacks, it just has dual in, dual out casing, which ironically is more similar to 1st and 2nd gen F-bodies. Works very well. The advantage is a dual system with ground clearance that fits within the confines of a 4th gen.

Sounds like you prefer "loud" In which case you could spend more money and use the Kooks dual system. Uses a pair of bullet style mufflers at the rear bumper, and it's extremely loud.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Bassani uses a transverse muffler that is very similar to most of your 3" catbacks, it just has dual in, dual out casing, which ironically is more similar to 1st and 2nd gen F-bodies. Works very well. The advantage is a dual system with ground clearance that fits within the confines of a 4th gen.

Sounds like you prefer "loud" In which case you could spend more money and use the Kooks dual system. Uses a pair of bullet style mufflers at the rear bumper, and it's extremely loud.
    Don't like Kooks either. I know, I'm hopeless.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbonds View Post
    Don't like Kooks either. I know, I'm hopeless.
    Are you always this difficult to please?

You're out of choices then unless you want to dump it at the rearend housing, lots of drone with that method though. Cheap to do, but it has alot of drawbacks.

Otherwise custom making a system from scratch sounds like your best bet then, but it's hard to find a shop with a mandrel bender, and it's pricey. Unless the guy is very skilled and takes his time you also wind up with a subpar system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information