Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: exhaust

Black
    1998 z28

exhaust

when i bought my z28 it had a flowmaster on it and only 1 exhaust tip out the back on drivers side. when i asked the guy why only 1 tip he told me that it was better for horsepower and 2 tips was better for the sound. has any one every heard of this or is this just a bunch of BS?

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

98's stock only came single exit. T/a's looked off...

Black
    1998 z28

not sure i understand the rest of exhaust is stock till you get back to the muffler then its a flowmaster with a single out. why would you keep a single? why not two pipes and is there any truth to what the guy said ^. any one else have a 98 set up like this?

Give me a place to stand. levityinc3's Avatar

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

The infamous "back pressure" perhaps?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

If it is believe me you won't ever notice it. That's like saying with royal purple and slicks you gain .4 et at the track

Pulse Red
    2004 GTO M6

If the guy really was maximizing horsepower I think there would be a full exhaust on there. He was looking to save money when he did the exhaust but did not want to say that when selling the car.

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by VTXrider View Post
    If the guy really was maximizing horsepower I think there would be a full exhaust on there. He was looking to save money when he did the exhaust but did not want to say that when selling the car.
    Hahaha. I think we have a winner.

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    98's stock only came single exit. T/a's looked off...
    youre talking tips, hes talking tailpipes.

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by znasty View Post
    when i bought my z28 it had a flowmaster on it and only 1 exhaust tip out the back on drivers side. when i asked the guy why only 1 tip he told me that it was better for horsepower and 2 tips was better for the sound. has any one every heard of this or is this just a bunch of BS?
    Quote Originally Posted by levityinc3 View Post
    The infamous "back pressure" perhaps?
    dont scoff at the backpressure, it is your friend on the street. it is tuned to move the powerband up and down the rpm range in all kinds of racing through different kinds of exhaust mods, longer or shorter collectors on headers, even adding shorter or longer pipes off of the collector,etc., etc. low and mid-range torque, its what moves you. i know some will say theyre running headers and straight pipes so they have no backpressure. the only way to have no backpressure is to let the exhaust dump straight out of the heads. even zoomies like funny cars run have backpressure.
    Last edited by dklowrider; 05-24-2009 at 02:55 PM.

Black
    1998 z28

well still not sure i understand or if its a good thing or not, i do understand if the dude was trying to save money and didnt want to say. either way it looks different when i see your guys rides with nice exhaust with with 2 tips and i have 1

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

well still not sure i understand or if its a good thing or not, i do understand if the dude was trying to save money and didnt want to say. either way it looks different when i see your guys rides with nice exhaust with with 2 tips and i have 1
    Yeah. Kind of awkward. How's it sound haha? If I pulled up behind you I'd think you were a dick for putting a Z28 badge on a V6. Although I did see a guy with a turbo have a single pipe.

Black
    1998 z28

Yeah. Kind of awkward. How's it sound haha? If I pulled up behind you I'd think you were a dick for putting a Z28 badge on a V6. Although I did see a guy with a turbo have a single pipe.
    no i just had a question about why it was set up that way and thought this was the place i could ask with out being made to feel awkward. it sounds good im sure it could sound better with different exhaust. i might sound a little lost on exhaust but i do know its a v8, i would never roll a v6 and try to pass it off as something else to you guys.

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

no i just had a question about why it was set up that way and thought this was the place i could ask with out being made to feel awkward. it sounds good im sure it could sound better with different exhaust. i might sound a little lost on exhaust but i do know its a v8, i would never roll a v6 and try to pass it off as something else to you guys.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure you'd know if you had a V6. But just seeing the back end, I'd probably assume it was a V6. You could just chop it off behind the resonator and have NO pipes. It looks cool, and sounds beastly as hell.

Black
    1998 z28

Yeah I'm pretty sure you'd know if you had a V6. But just seeing the back end, I'd probably assume it was a V6. You could just chop it off behind the resonator and have NO pipes. It looks cool, and sounds beastly as hell.
    is this where you eliminate the muffler? where is the resonator at? can i find any sound clips to hear that this has been done.

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

is this where you eliminate the muffler? where is the resonator at? can i find any sound clips to hear that this has been done.
    I'm sure there's something on youtube. It's probably the cheapest thing you can do to make it sound loud and good. Just cut the pipe that goes into the muffler. Between the axle and the muffler. Then you just unhook it off. Nothing should be visible from the back, and it will be real loud. Where you at in IN?

Black
    1998 z28

I'm sure there's something on youtube. It's probably the cheapest thing you can do to make it sound loud and good. Just cut the pipe that goes into the muffler. Between the axle and the muffler. Then you just unhook it off. Nothing should be visible from the back, and it will be real loud. Where you at in IN?
    im in indy not sure im looking for something that is real loud, but a little louder would be cool but it has to sound good not just be loud.

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

im in indy not sure im looking for something that is real loud, but a little louder would be cool but it has to sound good not just be loud.
    You can ask Joshie Doom about a cutout. He's under my friends; real helpful guy. It's another real cheap way to go to make it louder.

Black
    1998 z28

You can ask Joshie Doom about a cutout. He's under my friends; real helpful guy. It's another real cheap way to go to make it louder.
    i got to think about it before i go cutting up exhaust like that. the sound clips i have heard i like the way gmmg sounded but cash woud be tight. if your ever around indy we shoud get together. mind if and to friends?

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

i got to think about it before i go cutting up exhaust like that. the sound clips i have heard i like the way gmmg sounded but cash woud be tight. if your ever around indy we shoud get together. mind if and to friends?
    Yeah man, I'm down.

Black
    1998 z28

Yeah man, I'm down.
    great get together take some pics of car, let me know when you are around.

Thread Information