Thread: eliminating AIR

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

eliminating AIR

When i purchased my 98 T/A it had a magnaflow cat back with the cats deleated. From what i read the AIR system only runs on start up, and it just helps warm up the cats. So, in theory if I do not have any cats could i just remove the entire AIR system?? just to clean up the engine bay?? also, will this throw a SES light when i do remove this?? thanks

There's a writeup on removing the air system at http://www.ls1camaro.net/sections.ph...ticle&artid=70 if you haven't seen it. Removing it will throw the SES light unless the codes are tuned out. Since you don't have cats (and assuming you're not getting any codes now) there's a possibility the previous owner might have removed the air codes too???? Just for the heck of it I'd pull the "AIR PUMP" fuse and see if you get a light (can't remember exactly but think it should throw code P0412) after a few cold starts. If it comes on it'll go off by itself after replacing it and a few more cold starts. Might tell you if the air codes were deleted.

BlackHawk T/A
    That article is alright but it doesn't explain one of the hardest parts, getting that stupid thing back by the firewall out...

Refer to this one too http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328977

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

alright sweet man, thats a good idea with pulling the fuse, ill try that. thanks

Blue
    1976 Formula Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by 98redbird
    alright sweet man, thats a good idea with pulling the fuse, ill try that. thanks
    On my 98 TA the SES lite came back on after 100 miles
    Dale

Black
    1999 ls1

code p0412 any one help

hey guys just bought me a 99 ws6 6 speed, on my way home from work the ses light came on, took it to autozone they told me the code p0412 how do i get it off and what do i look for to fix the problem thanks

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by lt1dragon
    hey guys just bought me a 99 ws6 6 speed, on my way home from work the ses light came on, took it to autozone they told me the code p0412 how do i get it off and what do i look for to fix the problem thanks
    Check the air pump fuse and relay...then start the car and see if the pump comes on. Could also be the air check valve...driver side.

Black
    1999 ls1

i checked the valve the valve is fine but the fuse was blown so i replaced it, had the code erased, drove around and the ses light came back on and the fuse was blown again

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

that sounds like a short somewhere if you continue to blow fuses

Black
    1999 ls1

ok i am thinging that it might be the air pump because when its diconnected i stop blowing the fuse

Could be the pump, or in the wiring somewhere too. Since you just bought it - was if from a dealer? If so I'd call them and see what they say. Laws vary from state to state on emissions related items being compliant when cars are sold. If no warranty/emissions worries I'd consider turning the codes off and/or removing the AIR system.

Black
    1999 ls1

ok the car was bought from the dealer i called them and they said the car was bought as is with no warranty. so i took it to my mechanic who worked on my 96 t/a and it was in fact the air pump, no more ses light and $500 later it is fix but we also did the belts, fuel filter, and oil change thanks for the help

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by lt1dragon
    ok the car was bought from the dealer i called them and they said the car was bought as is with no warranty. so i took it to my mechanic who worked on my 96 t/a and it was in fact the air pump, no more ses light and $500 later it is fix but we also did the belts, fuel filter, and oil change thanks for the help
    Warranty or not they can't sell you a car that isn't emissions compliant. Take it up with them and don't back down, this is a legal matter and they ARE responsible for it.

Thread Information