Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A4 Red
    1999 Trans Am

Electric Cutouts

I want to install electric cutouts soon. What kind should I get, & where do I get them?

Millienum Yellow
    2003 Corvette Z06

theres a few places that sells them...they have improved in design and quality over the years, back in the day they would fail or you would loose the butterfly valve.

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/index.php

black
    1998 trans am

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

would it be louder or better with 2 instead of 1, up further in the y pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by totalkos View Post
    would it be louder or better with 2 instead of 1, up further in the y pipe?
    A pair of them up close to the header collectors is the way I prefer to do it.

It gets pretty tight in that area on a 4th gen though. Yes it should be louder than a single cutout.
    How they perform really depends on the type of exhaust system you are bypassing.

For the record I prefer the DMH cutouts. I bought mine directly from Dave, his shop was right up the street from me in Mt. Orab, Ohio. Super nice guy, great product with great warranty and the prices are right.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Go DMH not QTEC, DMH has a 4 year warranty and QTEC has none.

white
    2002 z28 convertable

i just looked in summit and they have the summit brand for 134.95 each. Keep in mind summit dont make there own. these are a good name brand with a diff. name only.

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

Having my DMH cutout installed as we speak. Ill get back with results once its done.

Dual cutouts after the header collector is good for high horsepower and low 10/ high 9 second drag cars but as far as a street car you will be fine with just one. Its an extra cost that you are paying more for just sound and not performance. Just one will be loud enough anyway. Especially with no cats like Im doing.

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

im going with 1 7/8" tsp long tubes, and a ory. i wanted to go with dual elec. cutouts but after some researching i found a lot of people that had fitment issues (scraping them on everything). And im lowering my car. so i dont think it will work out with 2.

Will one put off a good sound with that setup? how much louder than the magnaflow on that setup? i want it to be as loud as possible with that cut-out open, thats the whole point of an electronic one for me! just wanna scare some people!

im going with 1 7/8" tsp long tubes, and a ory. i wanted to go with dual elec. cutouts but after some researching i found a lot of people that had fitment issues (scraping them on everything). And im lowering my car. so i dont think it will work out with 2.

Will one put off a good sound with that setup? how much louder than the magnaflow on that setup? i want it to be as loud as possible with that cut-out open, thats the whole point of an electronic one for me! just wanna scare some people!
    I have Kooks LT's, Kooks Ypipe, Magnaflow cats, Flowmaster catback and single DMH cutout and my exhaust sets of car alarms in covered parking lots (and yes I've snuck up on people, opened the cutout revved to 5k and scared the shit out of them), believe me 1 is plenty.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

I run Kooks 1 7/8 to a ORY with dual E-cutouts... that bitch is loud, then i mated it up to the stock catback.... then its quiet as ever... win/win

Heres what I run.... my favorite part of the car, and worth every penny....
    https://shop.quicktimeperformance.co...ct_detail&p=19

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    I have Kooks LT's, Kooks Ypipe, Magnaflow cats, Flowmaster catback and single DMH cutout and my exhaust sets of car alarms in covered parking lots (and yes I've snuck up on people, opened the cutout revved to 5k and scared the shit out of them), believe me 1 is plenty.
    2 is better.....

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    I run Kooks 1 7/8 to a ORY with dual E-cutouts... that bitch is loud, then i mated it up to the stock catback.... then its quiet as ever... win/win

2 is better.....
    Agree,,,a pair of them are the way to go. Running one is okay, makes a little noise and fun to play with but it's rather quiet to me, you could drive it around all day without fear of getting pulled over, especially if it's toward the rear of the car.
    But a dual setup close to the header collectors is as loud as it gets, more effective, and just seems like the logical thing to do on a V8 car. You can get them closer to the side of the car where the sound isn't as muffled, especially if you run a short extension pipe. Then it doesn't matter what side you are on you can scare people on both sides of the street

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I personally would just run 1. Unless you have a stroker or are making a shit ton of power you're going to give up a lot of torque running 2. I run a Mccord power plate and have been for 3-4 years I think. Pretty durable unit considering how much I've opened and closed it. No cats is loud. No cats and heads/cam induces labor....even if the woman wasn't preganant.

Laugh while you can... mistermike's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

McCords are the best deal going.

SOM / NBM
    2002 Pro Z28/2001 TurboTA

I run 1 OTP at the Y pipe had it for about 2 yrs no issues sounds awesome

2 is better.....
    Its louder but there's usually clearance issues with it and good luck if law enforcement ever looks under your car an sees no cats.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Its louder but there's usually clearance issues with it and good luck if law enforcement ever looks under your car an sees no cats.
    I live in South Da-fucking-kota... I had a Hi po ask what i had for an exhaust and he said it was one of the coolest setups he had seen....

I live in South Da-fucking-kota... I had a Hi po ask what i had for an exhaust and he said it was one of the coolest setups he had seen....
    Easy there buddy, I didn't say it was uncool, personally I think its awesome, just saying you could get in trouble. Even if you live in a state that doesn't do emissions testing, all a cop has to do when he pulls you over is decide he wants to be an ass and give you a hard time, look underneath your car, and then you're screwed.

Easy there buddy, I didn't say it was uncool, personally I think its awesome, just saying you could get in trouble. Even if you live in a state that doesn't do emissions testing, all a cop has to do when he pulls you over is decide he wants to be an ass and give you a hard time, look underneath your car, and then you're screwed.
    Not necessarily. There are alot of states that don't allow a bypass in the exhaust system but if you read the descriptions it's so vague and unclear.
    I've been pulled over quite a few times and have ran cutouts on 3 different cars for many years without issues.
    Shucks street rods have their cutouts in plain view,,,ever heard of lake pipes?? Go to any decent cruise in and you'll find em'. Those guys drive those cars around all the time like that, no big deal. The idea of running cutouts have been around since the gas engine. I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Not necessarily. There are alot of states that don't allow a bypass in the exhaust system but if you read the descriptions it's so vague and unclear.
    I've been pulled over quite a few times and have ran cutouts on 3 different cars for many years without issues.
    Shucks street rods have their cutouts in plain view,,,ever heard of lake pipes?? Go to any decent cruise in and you'll find em'. Those guys drive those cars around all the time like that, no big deal. The idea of running cutouts have been around since the gas engine. I personally wouldn't worry about it.
    I NEVER said running cutouts was risky, in fact I have one as well on my car, which is a daily driver, I'm talking about running no cats.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information