pewter
    99 Trans Am

Don't want header problems.

I had planed to get long tube headers in Dec.but have yet to do so,one reason is because of all the negative things I read on the board about codes flashing,bumping under the floor board and running too rich.My car has no problems and I would like to keep it that way even with the headers. 1 don't have a place to get it tuned after the header install, 2 I don't want the bumping noise under my feet, 3 I don't want any codes going off. How can I deal with these issues?

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

1. Im pretty sure you could get a mail order tune
    2. There are ways to adjust the y-pipe to keep it from bumping
    3. Just make sure to get o2 sims to deleted the rear o2's, or just get a catted y-pipe

IMO headers are one of the best mods you can do to your car.
    SLP LT's, SLP High Flow Cats, 3" Flowmaster CB, Comp Cam, SLP Lid, LS6 Intake, BBK 80mm TB, SFC, Ram Air HO Hood, Lowered, Torq Thrust II's

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

I completely understand your concerns. I struggled with just the same concerns (exhaust leaks, fitment issues, tune and ECM code issues, etc.), however I can attest that I haven't had a SINGLE problem with my Hooker long tubes and off-road y.

The fitment on the Hookers is pretty good, they offer a good bit of ground clearance (relative to the clearance on other brands) and the tuning issue is very easily resolved.

If you only have minor bolt on mods and aren't planning anything major (heads, cam, etc.) for a while, I'd get a mail order tune that will help with performance and could tune out the ECM codes that would be triggered by LT's and ORY.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    I had planed to get long tube headers in Dec.but have yet to do so,one reason is because of all the negative things I read on the board about codes flashing,bumping under the floor board and running too rich.My car has no problems and I would like to keep it that way even with the headers. 1 don't have a place to get it tuned after the header install, 2 I don't want the bumping noise under my feet, 3 I don't want any codes going off. How can I deal with these issues?
    Headers are great for power and sound but you will need to take a couple step into consideraton:

Buy good headers that fit right the first time - I have American Racing with catted Y, but other brands are very good too. Don't buy cheap without being ready to take some extra steps to get it all perfect

Get a bump stop for $40 if your Y bangs the floor, problem solved.

Codes will go off even if you have a catted Y. You must get at least a mail order tune. Your lean/rich issues will only be addressed if you go somewhere to get it tuned in person so they can see your A/F mix then tune. It is worth the drive to go somewhere and get a proper tune done.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Hooker here with no problems. Get o2 sims and re-use the GM exhaust gaskets, way better then the cheap cork crap. Mine is problem free with 60,000 miles.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Bright Red
    1999 Camaro SS

You can get a tune about 3 hours south if you are from Vicksburg. I live in Jena, La

Midnight Blue Metalic
    2000 SS

I've had Dynatech headers with high flow cats and a tune for over two years with no problems. No thumping and or codes. The sound alone after the instal was worth the money.

Thread Information