Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans am WS6

Arrow Doing mods need advice!

Hey everybody, Im looking for any advice on which mods I should do with the money that I have. (I can either do longtubes with ory), (or a off road y pipe that deletes the cats and hooks up to stock manifolds and 3.73 gears). I do a little street and highway racing so which one would be more suitable? This is probably going to be my last performance mod on the car for awhile accept for appearance mods. So which setup do you yall think I would be more pleased with? I would appreicate any and all replies! thanks

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jakef777 View Post
    Hey everybody, Im looking for any advice on which mods I should do with the money that I have. (I can either do longtubes with ory), (or a off road y pipe that deletes the cats and hooks up to stock manifolds and 3.73 gears). I do a little street and highway racing so which one would be more suitable? This is probably going to be my last performance mod on the car for awhile accept for appearance mods. So which setup do you yall think I would be more pleased with? I would appreicate any and all replies! thanks
    Well, how much you got to work with? You could probably do both LT's w/ ORY and gears. Pacesetter coated LT's w/ ORY together only cost $500, then gears. But you'll also have to pay for labor for the gears, unless you do them yourself. But if I had to pick one over the other, I'd go LT's.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

What do have already? A lid and catback first if you don't have it. LTs and tune if you do.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans am WS6

na

Right now I have LM exhaust, slp lid with smooth bellow and k&n, and TB bypass. I wanted the gears so it would be more responsive off the line. I got offered a awsome deal on the bassani y pipe so the gears and the y pipe would cost me about $500 install and everything. I would like to do LT's but Im afraid I couldnt install them myself, and I dont want to buy them and then find out I cant put them in and not have the money to have someone else do it. But say if I did do longtubes, is it a modification that you can really feel the power? What would benefit me more racing on the highway? the gears and y or just the longtubes?

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

The longtubes will give you more top-end power. Gears will hurt you on the highway, especially in gas mileage. Tuned, people have seen increases of 30+RWHP with longtubes. And a y-pipe isn't worth shit by itself. I suggest headers w/ a y-pipe, not just a y-pipe.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Auto or M6

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by jakef777 View Post
    Right now I have LM exhaust, slp lid with smooth bellow and k&n, and TB bypass. I wanted the gears so it would be more responsive off the line. I got offered a awsome deal on the bassani y pipe so the gears and the y pipe would cost me about $500 install and everything. I would like to do LT's but Im afraid I couldnt install them myself, and I dont want to buy them and then find out I cant put them in and not have the money to have someone else do it. But say if I did do longtubes, is it a modification that you can really feel the power? What would benefit me more racing on the highway? the gears and y or just the longtubes?
    Gears and cat delete y-pipe are just two items you'll be wasting money on imo. Someday you'll want LTs/ORY-pipe. Also gears in stock rearend is really asking for trouble. As far as breaking your rear and costing you more in the long run. What year of vehicle do you have? If you don't have the LS6 intake then get that and a ported TB. Do the FRA mod. That would be around $400 for a low mileage LS6 intake, ported TB. If you can port your own TB then your down to $300-$350. You can save $100-$150 to help with your LS6 intake installation. A buddy would help do it for beer and pizza. You'll see noticable HP gains for sure and it's mods that you are likely not to get rid of. Or hurt your car.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Where you located? I have some exhaust for sale, TSP ORY and Hooker CB. Loudmouth is gonna be LOUD with LTs, Hooker flows just and sounds great too. I am in Philly

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans am WS6

na

First off I just wanted to say that I really appreciate all the replies to my question. You guys make this forum awsome! I drive a 2002 ws6 A4. The car has 19,000 miles on it. I just want to do a mod that I can feel. I would do a torque converter but I didnt really want to spend that kind of money. This is the last performance mod I will do on the car for awhile because I want to start doing some appearance stuff, so I want to make this one count, or atleast make me happy for now. I dont want to spend over say $500. So I quess from what you guys are saying is go with the headers. Like I said before I do little highway racing. Do yall think the longtubes would be beneficial to me? Is this the best horsepower mod you can do for the money I want to spend? And can you feel the difference in power after the install of the longtubes? thanks

98 Formula
    06 duramax

At the end of everything a tune should be figured into your costs whether you buy the software yourself or pay someone to do it. The single best mod you can do to an auto is stall it. I suggest talking to John at Fuddle racing and see if he has any group deals planned. I think I paid $400 shipped for my stall but can't remember for sure if that's what it was.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I agree with the stall, but I think for what he's specifically looking for, I think the investment in LT's and ORY would be a better choice. You really can't go wrong with either, but for having this be one of the last things you do for awhile, I personally would do the LT's. But, in the long run, I don't think choosing one over the other is a big deal at this point.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

I think if he got a stall he would be amazed but then again he is on a budget and it may not permit the stall, installation, and tune.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

with headers and ORY, you can get along without a tune. with gears, you have to go in and at least correct for speedo. gears make daily driving mroe fun. headers make for more mid upper rpm power.

so, choice:
    stop light type of fun = gears

roll racing to 120 = headers
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans am WS6

na

Well guys I think I have decided to go with the bassani cat delete y pipe and the 3.73 gears. The 3.73 will be awsome for some stop light to stop light racing, and the y pipe will change up my exhaust sound which I have been wanting to do for a long time. I would do Lt's but in all honesty I dont have the time to install them or the money to have them installed. Plus the way I trade in cars, it would be alot easier to switch the stock y pipe back having the bassani y. With headers it would be a huge hassle. The only question I have is, how big of a difference is it going from 3.23 to 3.73? Like say in tenths of a second or the feel of the car.
    Last edited by jakef777; 02-05-2007 at 01:15 PM.

black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

i was in the same situation as you.. i just spend my budget on headers and ory instead (installed them myslef and ls1.com with jacks and stands)(its not as hard as you think and we're all here for ya).. awsome feel and sound, i reccomend that, but i havent done gears yet.. i want 3.73s too..... im interested in how they feel but even more interested on how much they would jeopardize my rear's life?

98 Z28 M6

so it seems everyone says ORY and LTs but what kinds are the easies to install and give the most power?

black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

the power is all about the same for LTs (correct me if im wrong)... i bought xs (fit fine) just cause i wanted the stainless steal.. but pacesetter is everyones favorite it seems and will fit fine while not making a major dent in your wallet ..headers r just my opinion.. i dont want to pressure you if you want the gears and ory.. just glad u have an ls1

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans am WS6

na

Everybody says to go LT's and ory but from what I have read on the forum you really dont tell a big difference in power until you get a tune, and that adds atleast another $300. Thats why Im thinking I will just do the cat delete bassani y pipe and the 3.73 gears. I can do those two things for just $500. The only thing I would like to know is how big of a difference is it going from 3.23 to 3.73? anybody have past experiance with this?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans am WS6

na

Anybody?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

You're going to want a tune with the gears also. If not your shift points are going to be screwed up and your speedo will be off.

Thread Information