Thread: doing headers

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

doing headers

so, my headers just got in, im waiting on a gm gasket till i start anything. i was wondering, what else should i look at/swap while im down there. i was thinking motor and trans mounts and spark plugs/wires.

anything else thats easier to get to with the headers off?

probably gonna give frost some business soon aswell, but i might wait till after the cam. i have a badass lifter tick and am hoping a cam, new lifters, pushrods, rockerarms, and springs will fix that.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

what other mods have been done?

Motor mounts might be what most are going to recommend

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Plugs/wires and motor mounts would be the best to swap while doing headers.

BLACK
    2001 WS-6

Motor mounts, a must!!!!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I also went with the GM gaskets but upgraded to Stage 8 locking header bolts. Are you deleting the secondary air system?

black
    1998 trans am

plugs and wires are good to do at this point. the mounts are also alot better to do with the header off.

Let me know if we can help on any of the parts.

Thanks,
    Mark

KYSpeed.com | FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING | PRICE MATCH | EMAIL

Kook's | American Racing Headers | Vararam | HallTech | Textralia | SPEC | McLeod | Raptor | Trick Flow | AFR | ECS
    | FAST | APS | TTi | Procharger | RPM Transmission | Comp | DMH | HP Tuners | PFADT | SLP | STS

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

the plugs and wires have less than 30k on them, but the wires are the napa brand. the only other mod i have done is a slp loudmouth catback. so im probably gonna need a new muffler depending on how raspy it is.

the goals for the car is low 12's. its not going to be a track car, i just want to be able to stomp just about anything in my area.

future mods include cam, probably texas speed 228R, pushrods, lifters, rocker arms, springs,(hopefully getting rid of the tick) and a 150 wet shot. im at 12.8 now so this should get me to my goal. since its not going to be a track car im hoping i can keep the pos rear in my car, but that might not work for me, i can hear a clicking type noise coming from the rear of the car. haven't investigated it any since the car is parked now due to global warming.
    Last edited by V8MUSCLE; 02-06-2010 at 11:33 AM.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by V8MUSCLE View Post
    the plugs and wires have less than 30k on them, but the wires are the napa brand. the only other mod i have done is a slp loudmouth catback. so im probably gonna need a new muffler depending on how raspy it is.

the goals for the car is low 12's. its not going to be a track car, i just want to be able to stomp just about anything in my area.

future mods include cam, probably texas speed 228R, pushrods, lifters, rocker arms, springs,(hopefully getting rid of the tick) and a 150 wet shot. im at 12.8 now so this should get me to my goal. since its not going to be a track car im hoping i can keep the pos rear in my car, but that might not work for me, i can hear a clicking type noise coming from the rear of the car. haven't investigated it any since the car is parked now due to global warming.
    a good y-pipe can help to eliminate a lot of the rasp. cheaper y's like pacesetter only make the rasp worse.

even if your plugs only have 30k on them, id still swap them, soooo much easier with the headers off. for the $40-50 it costs its well worth it imo.

and just out of curiosity, if you havent done headers or any of the above stuff stated, what do you have done that youre running 12.8's?

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

when i first got it it ran 13.4 after catback and better tires i hit 12.8 i dont think the rear end is the original. it was "cleaner" than the rest of the underbody. ive read on here that there are a few factory freaks that run 12's from the factory.

my first pass in this car was a 13.8 after i figured out what i was doing i was getting 13.3-13.4. cat back got me to 13.0-13.1 got some stickier tires and took out the passenger seats and spare tire and got a 12.8

theres a timeslip floating around either my car, room, pockets, gf's house, around somewhere.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

thats impressive with just a catback. thats what im around with lid, ls6 intake, tb, headers, catback, lowered, and on nice street tires. you should check your rear end tag and see if its still the original rear end.
    Last edited by mpfranks; 02-06-2010 at 03:35 PM.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showpost.p...04&postcount=3

it has a gm logo on it if i remember correctly. i changed the diff. fluid when i first got the car. actually i changed all fluids except trans fluid in the car when i first got it. it had 100k on it, im not takin any chances if the guy did before me.

Thread Information