Red
    '98 Z28 M6

Doing full exhaust/intake -- LS6 PCV and p&p TB?

Figured I'd ask this here cause it wasn't getting any help in the other section. (Sorry for the duplication, mods feel free to delete the other one) I've got a 98 Z28 (all it has right now is a GMMG catback) and my plan is to do 1 /34 ARH and an LS6 mani. I haven't had any problems with the PCV system and all the hoses look good, should I go to the LS6 valley cover or let it be? Should I P&P my stock TB or leave that alone too?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixXIV View Post
    Should I go to the LS6 valley cover or let it be?
    Yes...simplifies the PCV system. Don't forget to plug the rear holes in the Valve Covers.

Should I P&P my stock TB or leave that alone too?
    Yes, don't go overboard, you're just smoothing out the inlet, the opening by the blade needs to stay the same.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Just make sure that when you do the Ls6 VCT you cover everything on that block to help ensure no metal chips go back into the engine. I had a buddy hold a shop vac while I cut/grind the notch out. It cut down the chances on shavings getting into the oil pan.

Some other things to plan on when dong the mod:

Knock sensors & wire harness - GM no longer makes >98 KS & WH. Get 99< KS & WH, they are better and chances are yours are rusted out and will need change anyways.

Plan on having/getting an OPSU (Oil Pressure Sending Unit). It is very easy to bump while taking the intake off. It becomes very brittle over the many heat cycles over the last 13 yrs.

I also recommend a catch can. I've become a solid believe in them.

If you have any questions just ask, many of us have done all of the mods you're thinking about.

Red
    '98 Z28 M6

can i get the sensors and harness straight from gm?

NBM
    1999 TA A4

can i get the sensors and harness straight from gm?
    Yes I did new GM Delco sensorswhen I did my LS6 intake swap on Wednesday,now my oil pressure reads correctly and I think the car has better driveability.

The gaskets on the LS1 Man. were crushed completely flat and it was only a matter of time before I had a vacuum leak,not to mention the 2 pounds of crud I found on the valley cover/heads.

I hope you have small hands,as per usual I got mine all hacked up working on my vampire...I mean car

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

I just did a LS6 intake and LS6 valley cover swap the other day. Its a pretty straight forward install and in my opinion definitly worth it to go with a LS6 VC.
    I also got some new knock sensors and wire harness just because I was already in there. It turned out my back KS was a little rusty but front 1 was perfect looking. Oh well...rather spend a few extra $$$ now and have peace of mind.
    I also used a little saw to take care of the piece of the block you have to cut out...the mess wasnt that bad...pretty localized as the metal wasnt being thrown all over that way.

Couple things I could have used but never mentioned in any of the install guides: A deep well 10mm socket for fuel rails would have saved time and also 1/4" socket extensions for my torque wrench.
    94 m6 Formula - Sold
    2000 NHRA Formula - Always For Sale

Thread Information