Black
    1999 TA

Do I need a computer tune?

Have a 99 T/A with full bolt on, minus long tubes headers.
    I 'am about to put long tubes on and I was needing to know if I will have to tune.

Thanks Gearheadbob

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

do you HAVE to tune, no. should you, yes. i ran around for a while with stock tune and most bolt ons.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

agreed with above.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

I really dont see a need to tune your car untill you get a Cam. The computer usually will adjust for boltons. You will pull out a few extra ponies but is that really worth the cost of dyno tuning.. Not in my opinion.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Capster78
    I really dont see a need to tune your car untill you get a Cam. The computer usually will adjust for boltons. You will pull out a few extra ponies but is that really worth the cost of dyno tuning.. Not in my opinion.
    Good point. If you plan to get a cam, or heads and cam, down the road, you will definitely need to tune then. If headers is the last mod you want to do for a while, you will get some modest gains from a tune, but as stated it is not mandatory.

Bombguy99Z28
    The computer will adjust for part throttle conditions, the computer will not adjust for wot conditions. You would basically be hoping that the car will run somewhere within the acceptable A/F ratios (12.5-13.5) but the computer ultimately cannot do much about that without tuning.

The more mods you do without tuning, generally the more horsepower you leave unusable. You wouldn't neccessarily need a dyno tune, but having a friend or something make sure you are ballpark is a good idea.

Red
    2000 SS

I agree that a tune is not required...but it is a good thing. Get a MAF tranlator.....its not as effective a as a full dyno tune but you can adjust the MAF signal to get ur car operating at a better A/F ratio if you have a way to monitor your o2 voltage and/or knock retard. I use a scanmaster for that.

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Capster78
    I disagree. Unless you plan on adding a cam like...next week, then get a tune. Adding headers I made 339hp and 342 ft/lbs tq. After a tune, 351hp and 355 ft/lbs tq. I gained almost as much from the tune as I did from the headers alone. I also like knowing that my air fuel ratios & timing is as good as it can be, so that I am not missing out on any power.

I mean heck the least you can do is a mail order tune, which run around $150. Experienced tuners have seen every bolt-on setup in the book and can get you pretty damn close to what you'd see on a dyno.

midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

any one out there could any one tell me where the computer is located , the one that controls the coolant fans?????
    id really appreciate it as im trying to trouble shoot cooling system and its imperitive in 100 degree weather that at a minimum the fans will run especially at idle at stop lights traffic jams ect. Knowing the fans don't even come on till after boiling temperature. Just don't want to melt my aluminum engine
    any
    one id appreciate it please

Thread Information