Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Do anyone regrate putting headers on their car and why if so

I'm not talking about a brand of header but headers themselves.I want to but I just don't want to have the problems I have with my other cars that have headers on them.The leaks, the dragging of the exhaust on speed bumps, check engine lights coming on ect. The car is not lowered, want the headers, but not the problems that I might have. As of now there is no leaks no worry about high spots,or dragging of the exhaust.Talk me in to it.have had the money to do it for years but each time I start to order them I think of how good it is to be worry free when I drive the TA.
    Last edited by Street Fighter; 03-29-2011 at 11:04 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

We'll I have no regrets, I see more pros then cons with the LT headers. But some of the issues you talked about I can talk about. Yes you know all the problems when you get to LT headers, but I think it depends on the brand. SLP is know to be much lower then the others. Pacesetter seems to hug up nice. Hooker & Ebay I have no experience with so I won't comment on. I also believe what the problem is really the ORY. That seem to always have the most problems with speed bumps and scrapes. The one spot that hits is always from the drivers side that bends and merges into one pipe. At that spot is where it seems to hit the most. I think if I re-address the exhaust again I will run true duals or have that section widen out but flatten a bit like an oval to see if it gives some clearance. Clearance is always an issue for mine because it is also lowered then stock height, I measure out at the top of the wheel well at 26" for the front and 26.5" for the rear off the ground.

The other issues a tune fixes them.

Now you can get Mids and Shorties but will receive very minimal gains.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

1998 TA

I can honestly say that I do not regret my headers at all. If you take the time and do it right, it wont leak. I used copper rtv and band clamps and havent had a prob with them at all. Now the y pipe is a diff story as stated above. My car is not lowered, and its not the speed bumps I have probs with, its rail road tracks. They always seem to get me for some reason. Doesnt matte how slow I go I still scrape.

And I have had nothing but compliments since I put the headers on. It really wakes the car up compared to manifolds. When your inside it sound like a "old muscle car" haha qutoe from the fiancee

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

The only regret I have is not putting motor mounts on at the same time. I know that was so dumb of me. Once I get these motor mounts on I'll be regret free.

2002 Camaro Z28

Yeah, I love the sound with headers and with future plans of ls6 swap I'm glad I did them. My y-pipe hits the floorboard on hard launches and sometimes scrapes but so far no damage. I'm with 98TransAmWs-6, I have no idea why I was so concerned about saving money and reusing the old motor mounts, had I did them I don't think the y pipe would hit the floor.
    Junkyard bought and "refurbished" 2002 Camaro Z28 - Pacetter Race LT's, TS&P ORY, Frost tune, Magnaflow, Ported TB, SLP Lid, Circle D 3000, 3.73's, SFC's.
    2009 Silverado Z71 - Magnaflow
    2008 Impala LTZ - Wife didn't want the V8 SS!

silver
    2000 formula

no regrets here

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    The only regret I have is not putting motor mounts on at the same time. I know that was so dumb of me. Once I get these motor mounts on I'll be regret free.
    same here... only regret lol, cause I tried t put motor mounts on afterwards... FML... I have to pull the damn headers off again lol

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

No regrets at all I'm new to the LT's put them on Saturday. I got a set of Ebay headers and really for the price I LOVE THEM! I went to a shop and got a custom ORY-pipe made for them. I did the motor mounts at the same time and had no clearance problems at all. the car sounds CRAZY and I love it. I have scraped once cause I hit a bump in the road a little to fast testing out the car but other than that no other problems. Got a tune from FROST, deleted the EGR & AIR which cleaned up everything real nice... 100% worth every penny I spent!!!

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

No regrets period. Heck the F-bodys should have come with better flowing exhaust manifolds to begin with.

Black
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE

The only sliver of regret I have is ground clearance because mine is lowered some. I was majorly impressed with a set of kook's and the no loss of clearance when mounted to an f-body on a lift. If I was to do it over I just may have a set of them instead of dynamaxx. I luv the sound of headered or u can just turn up the radio. Now go break out that credit card and help our economy.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Hooker headers here (8 years or so) No regrets period! No leaks (Use the stock MLS gasket and throw all the aftermarket away), no banging, no nothing! Amazing deal and sound! Do it and do not look back!
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

I regret not running cats just because of the smell I get when I warm it up in the mornings. I swear it could kill a baby tiger in .00010 seconds

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird0230 View Post
    I regret not running cats just because of the smell I get when I warm it up in the mornings. I swear it could kill a baby tiger in .00010 seconds
    Mine really doesn't smell that bad at all for not having cats...?

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Quote Originally Posted by My00Z28 View Post
    Mine really doesn't smell that bad at all for not having cats...?
    Idk mine smells pretty bad

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird0230 View Post
    It must be an higher altitude/colder climate thing. I have no cats and I smell nothing. Never had.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I like the gas fumes.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

I have SLP LT's on my 98 formula. No leaks at all. I've had headers with leaks on my old Camaro and it sucked. The fix for that is to get a quality header with a 1/2"-1" thick flange. No leaks will ever happen IMHO.

Now if you go with LT's I don't think you can avoid them hanging low no matter the brand. That is something that just comes with it.

CEL won't be an issue unless you remove the cats and don't tune them out or install Simulators.

Some LS1's are picky though and the stock O/2s don't run well. I'm not sure if its the car or the header brand. My SLP's work great with stock O/2's and have no issues. I've seen cars with other brands have issues and have to switch to the Bosch 1311(Whatever they are) to get the light to stop coming on.

The smell is probably to each his own. When I first put the LT's on I'd already been running no cats for a year or two and nothing changed. I parked the Formula in 2008 when I bought my vette and I JUST started driving it again two weeks ago to quit putting daily driver miles on the vette. I spent the first week thinking I had a gas leak, exhaust leak something. I finally realized it was because the cats were not on there and I was not used to smelling "un-clean" exhaust. I'm used to it now and would vote its just from removing the cats.
    Last edited by gnomee; 03-31-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

white
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    ^ +1

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I've heard of people regretting buying cheap headers instead of expensive ones...

Think I also read somewhere someone regretted not getting 1 7/8 vs 1 3/4.

?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

most of your concerns can be taken care of by a quality header and a quality install. I'm at stock height and have never bottomed out the headers. I also don't hit bumps doing 50 either. SLP headers hang lower than most all others so those guys will usually bottom out before other brands.
    Have a quality install done and there should be no leaks. These cars use MLS gaskets from the factory instead of the paper gaskets (again...goes back to the quality install) and you should never have a header leak with a good header.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information