Thread: Dart Heads

black
    1969 camaro

Dart Heads

Just bought a LS1 out of a 2000 TA it has dart heads (dont know what size) havent took them off yet. Weiand Intake 80 mm throttle body and big cam(dont know what size) just turned 80k miles. The guy I got it from didnt know anything about it but I did hear it run and it sounded healthy. It is a six speed as well and going into a 69 camaro. Just wanted to know what anybody thought of this set up. Are the dart heads any good?I would like to get into the 10s with spray do I need to buy better stuff?

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Pretty big differance in price between the CC's, so try and see which one they are. Most of the ppl who do h/c know a LOT about their cars. Its kind of like a heart surgen comming up to you and saying "I dont know what I just did" after he performed heart surgery. I wouldnt buy it if he doesnt even know the kind of parts he has into the car. Same thing happened to me a while back...

I went to check out an 03 cobra in Long Island a few months back. I asked the guy over the phone and when I went there, the kind of pulley he had on the car. He didnt have the slightest clue. Turned out the pulley was stock. That made me raise my eyebrows and when I went home and ran a carfax it turned out the car had a dirt/salvage title.
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

black
    1969 camaro

He bought the car off of some one. It was a 53 year old man and he didnt know any thing about ls engines, he just knew it was fast and ran good. Thats what he said. But what runs good to him and to me may be different. Thats why i got a good deal. I heard the car and it sounded nasty. just wanted to know if any one knew about dart pro 1 heads. I gonna take it a part and see what it is.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 69 SS LS1 View Post
    He bought the car off of some one. It was a 53 year old man and he didnt know any thing about ls engines, he just knew it was fast and ran good. Thats what he said. But what runs good to him and to me may be different. Thats why i got a good deal. I heard the car and it sounded nasty. just wanted to know if any one knew about dart pro 1 heads. I gonna take it a part and see what it is.
    Do a compression test and see how it holds up. There is no easy way of knowing exactly what kind of cam you have. Maybe take of your vavle covers and see what kind of springs you have??? Dart heads are pretty good, I'v heard a lot of ppl using them. Why do you want to strip the car apart just to see the kind of heads you have? Go strap it on a dyno and see what kind of numbers she puts down. Any other mods to the car?

black
    1969 camaro

The engine is not in the a car yet. I bought it to put it in my 69 camaro. Didnt know if the pro 1s would get in the 10s with spray or did i need to sell them and go with other ones.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 69 SS LS1 View Post
    The engine is not in the a car yet. I bought it to put it in my 69 camaro. Didnt know if the pro 1s would get in the 10s with spray or did i need to sell them and go with other ones.
    Is there anything else done to your camaro (suspension,trans,tires,rear end etc...) You could have a nasty motor and still run 12's due to a lack of suspension and driver skill. A well built h/c ls1 can go into the 10's but you will need just about ever suspension part and one hell of a 60 ft to get there. Mid to low 11's is common, but ppl have done 10's with just bolt ons. As far as putting it into the 69, I dont know how it will fit and if there is any fab required. I would do a compression test just to make sure the motor is healthy.

Personally I wouldnt buy it for just one reason; lack of knowledge of the parts. Every LS1 guy I know (forget my friends) are complete car junkies. They know the motor inside and out. It just seems strange that someone would buy a car that has been modded to that extent and not even know whats done to it. The car could have been sprayed and you wouldnt even know. Why dont you just build a motor? It will most likley be cheaper because you wont have to buy the entire car with it.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Any head and cam LS1 should go 10s with spray.

black trans am

on the ls1 dart pro 1 heads there is a number hand stamped on the head. thats the only what to know any thing about them. the numbers is going to me an unassembled part number.. if they are 205CC 225cc

the 205CC has a 2.02 valve and makes more low end power... the 225s are going to be more for all out rpm and s/c or turbo apps but can be used if u have the right cam and intake set up..... and the CNC 280 cc heads are going to be some real stuff.....

they are going to be for some one with a 408 with a blower/turbo or 427-454 lsx with lots of helping mods and all out race use lol

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdbrain89 View Post
    on the ls1 dart pro 1 heads there is a number hand stamped on the head. thats the only what to know any thing about them. the numbers is going to me an unassembled part number.. if they are 205CC 225cc

the 205CC has a 2.02 valve and makes more low end power... the 225s are going to be more for all out rpm and s/c or turbo apps but can be used if u have the right cam and intake set up..... and the CNC 280 cc heads are going to be some real stuff.....

they are going to be for some one with a 408 with a blower/turbo or 427-454 lsx with lots of helping mods and all out race use lol
    Just get a good set of LS6 ported and polished.

black trans am

Imo the dart heads kick ass outta the p&p ls1-6 heads as far as a drivable car goes. and with more work to the dart heads u can get them to flow real nice.. where onece u p&p a stock head ur done no more gains in that depo.. and if u wanna spray a lot ur going to want something with a thicker dech then stock...

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdbrain89 View Post
    Imo the dart heads kick ass outta the p&p ls1-6 heads as far as a drivable car goes. and with more work to the dart heads u can get them to flow real nice.. where onece u p&p a stock head ur done no more gains in that depo.. and if u wanna spray a lot ur going to want something with a thicker dech then stock...
    If you want spray its a differant story. For a daily driven h/c car, a good set of ported patriots matched with a nice cam is more than enough.

Thread Information