Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar

D-screening the MAF!!!!!!!!

i saw on SLP's website that its not reccomended to descreen the MAF for street use? why?

Moo cow f**k milk Demon_Speeding's Avatar

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

I've heard of people doing it and having problems with running rich/lean...can't remember which. Not sure if it's just descreening, porting the MAF or both. That and and there's also an issue of the screen blocking debris that makes it past the filter.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I descreened and ported my MAF and it did cause the engine to run a little lean, but it was easily dialed in with my tuner. I realized some performance gain.

That screen will not block anything that the filter doesn't; if something gets past the filter, it will be much smaller than the screen openings. The screen is designed to straighten the airflow for the sensors. For some, the sensors aren't as accurate in turbulent air. In my case, I have not had such problem, so my airflow must not be "too turbulent." Others have said they have.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

I descreened and ported my MAF several years ago and have had no problems at all.
    JEB

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

I would leave the screen in. I still have mine in.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

i still have mine also. its shoot or miss with that thing.. i say just delete it all together and get a SD tune as soon as I get my car up and running again, thats what im doing
    Nino

well the SLP MAF gets you like what 20 more hp. and i gotta buy a MAF anyways because mine is desroyed when the car was wrecked so i think for what 40 more bucks for 20 more hp would be sufficient insted of buying this 190 dollar MAF and descreaning it and screwing somthing up or it not working properly.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

20hp for the slp maf ok...go ahead and spend the cash, then come and post about why your car is running lean and the other issues that come along with it!
    Nino

Quote Originally Posted by ninobrn99
    20hp for the slp maf ok...go ahead and spend the cash, then come and post about why your car is running lean and the other issues that come along with it!
    Nino
    yeah ok thanks for the smart ass comment. i could have done without it. i was just going on what i read on SLP's website.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

hmm...1 smart ass comment now and be safe or live in ignorance and end up buying the slp maf, selling it for alot less than you paid for it and getting a stock one....
    id take the smart ass comment i apologize also, i did read your post too fast and thought you were implying something else.

hmm...1 smart ass comment now and be safe or live in ignorance and end up buying the slp maf, selling it for alot less than you paid for it and getting a stock one....
    id take the smart ass comment i apologize also, i did read your post too fast and thought you were implying something else.
    i appoligize for jumping on you. i just read on their webstie that it gets you 20 more hp. i never heard any testimonials. but what if you have a tuner of some sort. will it then get you the added hp over the stock MAF?

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

if you want a bigger maf, then go with a delphi 85mm truck maf. i dont believe a tuner will take the time needed to properly tune your car, well not with the slp maf that is. You'd be much better off with a tuck maf or the zo6 mainly because the map's for them are out there and will not need to be created for scratch. SLP is infamous for quoting such numbers and people fall for it. We're here to try and help. We dont have the ability to search the old technical advice we used to have because of when we lost the site, but (im gonna get burned) you can seach ls1tech.com about it and see all the complaints.

if you want a bigger maf, then go with a delphi 85mm truck maf. i dont believe a tuner will take the time needed to properly tune your car, well not with the slp maf that is. You'd be much better off with a tuck maf or the zo6 mainly because the map's for them are out there and will not need to be created for scratch. SLP is infamous for quoting such numbers and people fall for it. We're here to try and help. We dont have the ability to search the old technical advice we used to have because of when we lost the site, but (im gonna get burned) you can seach ls1tech.com about it and see all the complaints.
    is a bigger maf really worth it? is the truck or zo6 maf the same as a stocker. 136 bucks? are they just plug n play?

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

no, they're not the same as the stocker. you really dont need to upgrade because the stocker is good up to 600hp. i think you may be a little off goign with one of the bigger ones since you'l be pushing more air in, you will tend to run leaner. You will need to get it tuned to compensate. I could be wrong though

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

an excerpt from JRP's intake sticky on tech:
    What they do: "...Aftermarket mafs, don't make power, due to larger size, they make power, by tricking the computer into seeing less air, therefore the computer gives more timing, and less fuel..." (Ryan 'slow')

What to look for: PORT/SWAP/DE-SCREEN AT YOUR OWN RISK. The stock maf is good for 500hp. If by chance your maxing out your MAF contact your tuner and see what he/she recommends.

How to install: http://www.installuniversity.com/in...r/mafh_swap.htm

to hell with it. im goin to autozone and buying one for 136.00. its not worth that much to me. apparently the stocker is good enough. thanks for all the input guys.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

search the for sale section and ebay for a stock one. you'll get it alot cheaper!! not sure about the autozone maf......good luck with it if you go that route.
    Nino

search the for sale section and ebay for a stock one. you'll get it alot cheaper!! not sure about the autozone maf......good luck with it if you go that route.
    Nino
    its not an autozone brand its a delphi brand factory replacement. but its like 200 somthing and you get a core charge that takes it down to 136.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

oh ok... the thats not bad..

oh ok... the thats not bad..
    does that sound like a good replacement or should i go to the dealer and get a gm part. what they would give me would be delphi wouldnt it?

Thread Information