Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

is a cutout worth the money?

I have a 2002 ws6 with k-n-N air filter, air lid, LT headers, no cats, y-pipe, magnaflow exhaust, and LS1 edit. I want my car to sound a lot louder. Is a cutout worth the money and would it make my car a lot louder considering my setup. If so, where is the best place to get one. Thanks.

You want to be louder!? Just kidding...cutouts are cheap...available from most sponsors/local speed shops...and probably will make you louder since it'll bypass the catback.

Snake Eater
    Quote Originally Posted by ram air ws6
    I have a 2002 ws6 with k-n-N air filter, air lid, LT headers, no cats, y-pipe, magnaflow exhaust, and LS1 edit. I want my car to sound a lot louder. Is a cutout worth the money and would it make my car a lot louder considering my setup. If so, where is the best place to get one. Thanks.

I have a similar setup on my 01 TA. I thought my cut-out was well worth it. Pacesetter lt's, tsp ory, and magnaflow catback. I have a cut-out and it sounds REAL loud! Especially when you have the cut-out off and get up to the 2000 RPM range, it sounds like the borla, but SCREAMS!

Rhino21149
    My son and I put QTP electric cutouts on our Camaro - 408 FE block, 490 RWHP, 540 RWT. It is a lot of fun. You can sit in the car and a light and a little rice-burner buzzes up next to you and you just open the exhaust, and the sound changes from a ragged deep muffled idle to a sharp open-header bar as you give the throttle just a blip: very intimiating. Have to be careful, though if you get into it, is is totally-illegal loud and cops blocks away can hear you.

silver
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

Worth it?

It's like $35 for a cutout plus labor.

Rhino21149
    The electric cutouts cost about $169 a piece and are easy to install if you have the car on a lift.

BBATCAR
    It is personal taste, for me it was too loud in the cabin, others like it. I had a QTEC and it leaked so I sold it... they are fun but I couldn't take the exhaust leak when closed.....

Old Skool like an 8-track A-BomB's Avatar
    '05 Cadillac CTS-V

they are worth the money.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

what is the sound diff. between having one cut-out after the y or two after the collecters? what about a power diff?

Rhino21149
    Not much difference on that alone. the real difference is whether the cut out is a head or behind the cats. Obviously, one on the Y-pipe will be behind the cats - but either way its a lot quieter that way.

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino21149
    My son and I put QTP electric cutouts on our Camaro - 408 FE block, 490 RWHP, 540 RWT. It is a lot of fun. You can sit in the car and a light and a little rice-burner buzzes up next to you and you just open the exhaust, and the sound changes from a ragged deep muffled idle to a sharp open-header bar as you give the throttle just a blip: very intimiating. Have to be careful, though if you get into it, is is totally-illegal loud and cops blocks away can hear you.
    i hope your not talkin about a ford FE block?

Rhino21149
    Quote Originally Posted by bww3588
    i hope your not talkin about a ford FE block?
    No, of course not, FE just means "iron" since it is the periodic table symbol for that element. The big V-8 iron blocks used in various years in the Silverado and Escalades are the identical castings to the LS-6 and LS-2 blocks of the same year. Just about everything fits: heads, pumps, pans, etc. The block weighs about 90 lbs more but has two advantages: 1) its a lot cheaper, 2) you can bore the cylinders a bit more than in the AA blocks, 3) its strong as hell which is important if you plan to abuse the engine.

Our Camaro has a 408 (bored FE LS-6 block with 4" stroker) and AFR big-port heads, 11.5 c.r., all forged internals, Kocks big-diamter headers, etc., and makes about 512 RWHP on fuel and about 660 with nitrous, with the cutouts open, about 30 less blowing through the cats and mufflers.

Blue
    2000 Z-28

Worth it!!

I have Pacesetter LTs and ORY with stock catback and a flowmaster muffler. Actually sounds good through full exhaust, but much much louder through cut out. I just have the regular cutout (non-elec) paid about 35 bucks for it. It screams at WOT

Be careful though very loud and illegal

RED98WS6
    I put a cutout on my WS6. It's a pretty cheap mod...$35 for the cutout, and another $40 to get it installed. It adds about 10 horsepower. Of course, you'll probably want to get a electric opener...another $200.

I hardly ever use mine on the street. I open it up at the strip though. At least I can hear my engine better. The thing I like the best: sounds great at idle. The thing I like the least: It doesn't sound that great at wide open throttle. I like the sound of open headers MUCH better, either that or just full exhaust.

Is it a worthwhile mod? Its a toss-up. If I were to do it all over again I would get the borla catback exhaust and and put a QTP cutout opener in the flange where the plates go. Just as good as a cutout.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

yes!!! nothing flows better!

read my review
    http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2029

White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by BBATCAR
    It is personal taste, for me it was too loud in the cabin, others like it. I had a QTEC and it leaked so I sold it... they are fun but I couldn't take the exhaust leak when closed.....

I have dual qtec's and today will be the 4th time i have had to fix them. They are coming off for good. Going with lighter exhaust setup and will make more power.
    Scott
    00 Z28: FOR SALE
    99 SS: R.I.P.

White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z
    what is the sound diff. between having one cut-out after the y or two after the collecters? what about a power diff?

You will have almost zero ground clearance if you put dual cutouts right after the headers. You will have very little clearance if the dual cutouts are moved back. And from researching tons of posts from different forums and from my own 1st hand experience you must have atleast 12-15" of exhaust after the headers or it wont run just right, back pressure is a b!tch.

One cutout in the I-pipe is worth .10 in the 1/4 mile.

RED98WS6
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBadZ
    I have dual qtec's and today will be the 4th time i have had to fix them. They are coming off for good. Going with lighter exhaust setup and will make more power.

I had read all about qtec and their problems. Thats why I chose DMH:

http://www.dmhperformance.com/

I've been very happy with it so far

Blue
    2000 Z-28

Just get a $35 cutout, if you want it to be loud as hell you can take the cap off. If you want to be quiet then put it back on. Depeding on what you have and plan on doing to your car the HP will not be a big difference, (it will NOT be noticeable), it is fun though. Can somebody logically explain back pressure and why it works? As far as I know, you just need to be able to get the air in and get it out as fast or faster.

Sorry....you just want to get louder..... the cutout is worth it
    Last edited by HC2000Z28; 09-29-2005 at 11:03 PM.

Snake Eater
    Hi, I have the magnaflow cat-back. My cut-out is installed to the right of the muffler, just before all the air is exiting through it. Is this the correct position? AND- how much does this differ from the I-pipe installation?

Thread Information